G.I. Joe 2016 Figures Official Images

The Wire

• 3 months later...

You know, I look at these pics and can't help but think...it's no wonder GI Joe is failing. Most of these figures are from molds that were created 7-10 years ago. Maybe Hasbro should bite the bullet, kill 3 3/4" Joe and give us a 6" line.

Sadly, Joe is pretty much a line that is eating it's own tail with little in the way of innovation or actively keeping the line fresh or invigorated. After Retaliation, it became all too obvious that effort would only really be put in if there was media to support and anything else would pretty much be recreations of old figures to appease an aging fanbase. Masters of the Universe managed to do reasonably well under a similar system, but that was predicated on being collector-focused figures with a relatively sparse release pattern. Such a shame because I love the Joe mythos and there was such energy and inventiveness shown in the Pursuit of Cobra era.

Sadly, Joe is pretty much a line that is eating it's own tail with little in the way of innovation or actively keeping the line fresh or invigorated. After Retaliation, it became all too obvious that effort would only really be put in if there was media to support and anything else would pretty much be recreations of old figures to appease an aging fanbase. Masters of the Universe managed to do reasonably well under a similar system, but that was predicated on being collector-focused figures with a relatively sparse release pattern. Such a shame because I love the Joe mythos and there was such energy and inventiveness shown in the Pursuit of Cobra era.

Yeah that's pretty much it. And this is the way GI Joe has been for a few years now. Unless there's a movie to back it, expect nothing but these throw-them-a-bone repaints once a year. It's too bad but I accept it.

I think there is at least one "Please give us 6" GI Joes" thread per online toy forums, but with conditions remaining as described above, that's a pipe dream whipped up completely by the fans looking over at the wealth of 6" Marvel and Star Wars figures down the toy aisle. Hasbro has never even hinted at its possibility. Personally, I could live without them but I'm saying that before seeing the potential awesomness of a 6" Destro or Baroness.

Looking at these images, I'm reminded about how few I really want this year. I have both figures from the obligatory Snake Eyes/Stormshadow set, there's no place for zombies in my GI Joe collection, and a lot of other offerings just seem "ho-hum". Put me down for the two pack with the IG and Viper (even though IG is pretty dated at this point, I still like him), and that Cobra 3 pack for no other reason than to get the female trooper.

Otherwise it's back to ebay to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced vintage Night Force Lightfoot and/or Muskrat. Two of the only holes in my Joe collection.

Yeah that's pretty much it. And this is the way GI Joe has been for a few years now. Unless there's a movie to back it, expect nothing but these throw-them-a-bone repaints once a year. It's too bad but I accept it.

I think there is at least one "Please give us 6" GI Joes" thread per online toy forums, but with conditions remaining as described above, that's a pipe dream whipped up completely by the fans looking over at the wealth of 6" Marvel and Star Wars figures down the toy aisle. Hasbro has never even hinted at its possibility. Personally, I could live without them but I'm saying that before seeing the potential awesomness of a 6" Destro or Baroness.

Looking at these images, I'm reminded about how few I really want this year. I have both figures from the obligatory Snake Eyes/Stormshadow set, there's no place for zombies in my GI Joe collection, and a lot of other offerings just seem "ho-hum". Put me down for the two pack with the IG and Viper (even though IG is pretty dated at this point, I still like him), and that Cobra 3 pack for no other reason than to get the female trooper.

Otherwise it's back to ebay to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced vintage Night Force Lightfoot and/or Muskrat. Two of the only holes in my Joe collection.

Here's hoping that if the IDW Revolution series and the Hasbro Cinematic Universe movies they have planned for them becomes a success, Hasbro would start making figures from toyline that they believe wouldn't sale well into a 6 inch Marvel Legends-like series that focuses on Hasbro products. Perhaps a Revolution Black series or a Hasbro Legends line? I can imagine this would be the only way to see more popular Gi Joe figures, along with Rom, Mask, and Microman/Micronauts as 6 inch figures. I just realized that the Gi Joe figures are basically back from what they once were in the late 90s/early 2000s before JVC - Toys R Us exclusives of classic characters with minimal tooling.

Like you YJB, I'm kinda only interested in the 3pack w/the Female Officer.....the Zombies are an favorite of mines though....wish they would do an Zombie pack like the promised so many years ago during the Joe resurgence.....right now unless they put out some stuff I haven't seen before they're not going to get a lot of my money.....l know everyone's tired of hearing 6" line but I would definitely be down for an small line up of 6 inch figs....SE, SS, CC, Duke, Destro, Cobra Regular or Viper.......C'mon Hasbro....you got bro in your name....do another Bro a favorite & get it done....haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a lone Heavy Duty/Stiletto two pack at TRU yesterday. I may get it eventually but I passed this time. Heavy Duty looked nice but I've just never been a fan. Poor man's Roadblock, IMO. And Stiletto, while it's always nice to have a new female figure, is just so underwhelming.

• 1 month later...