Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice Movie Non-Spoiler Review

The Wire

The wife was really annoyed by Lois, she thought the was the miscast one, getting herself into dumb situations and having to have Superman save her. I was kind of indifferent to Lois.

Wasn't it Lois who ultimately saved Superman...like two or three times? Which is cool, cause with all the "universe building" you mentioned, with backstory and guest heroes, I was relieved to see Lois at all. I was actually thrilled that she got the attention she did. Now mind you, she's no Erica Durance, but Adams did a great job in my book.

She was also extremely hot this time around (yeah I know...but as they say, "This Ain't Radio!")

• 3 months later...

I finally got to see this the other night, and I absolutely loved it. I was confused as to why this film had so much negativity surrounding it...I really enjoyed it. And I find myself agreeing with alot of what you said, yojoe, how Afleck made a much better Batman than the negative reviews would have you believe. And I agree with some of the positive reviews I've read that said this was a beautifully-shot movie. The whole sequence at the beginning briefly showing Batman's origins was different and dramatic enough to seem fresh and new even though it's been portrayed time and time again in past films...

I went into this movie with the impression that people either hated it or loved it, that it didn't appeal to a broad spectrum of audiences like most of the Marvel movies seem to. But I think I understand why now, and my wife was the one that made me realize it:

(SPOILER WARNING!!!)

This movie seems to be a mash-up of The Dark Knight Returns and the whole Superman: Doomsday storylines, with a few key elements flipped on their proverbial ears, as it were, with a dash of teasing the JLA coming together for good measure. Now since I absolutely love both of these storylines, I love that they were weaved together as the catalyst for the formation of the Justice League. My wife had never read any of the books, so it didn't make sense to her (or my father-in-law for that matter) for Batman and Superman to be at odds to begin with, although the opening scenes make it pretty clear and explains some the reasons why they oppose each other so much in the beginning. So maybe the non-comic readers see this film as too much of a stretch, whereas fans like me that know the mythos a little better can see how some of this stuff comes together a little more. I will admit that implies that this film is yet another "fan-service" film, and perhaps it is...but I love it anyway.

I think my favorite part was Ben Afleck as the new Batman. I will admit that I was very skeptical when news broke of his casting, but he plays the duality of Bruce Wayne and Batman perfectly. I will say without reservation that this new rugged, brutal, visceral, and tortured Batman is my new favorite film version. Don't get me wrong...I love the slick, futuristic, streamlined Batman that was portrayed in all the previous films, but the new Batman looks beastly, otherworldly, and terrifying, just as Batman should. He reminds me of a toned-down version of the demonic Batman Scarecrow saw him as in his hallucinatory state in Batman Begins...just scary as hell, and he was fun to watch for me. And I loved Jeremy Irons as Alfred, how that Wayne Manor was an old broken-down, abandoned shell-of-a-house, and that Bruce Wayne's residence was actually this beautiful lakeside house on the expansive property, with the Batcave underneath the lake...I feel as if they nailed Batman perfectly this time, as much as I loved Nolan's universe.

Superman was pretty good...I'm one of the fans that love Man of Steel, so I viewed this fllm as a quasi sequel that fell right into place in the overall story, therefore I enjoyed how it was a continuation of the overall look and feel of MOS. But he is, as others imply, a little stoic...it wouldn't kill him to have at least a little levity, within the right circumstances of course...I don't want to see him smirking with some buffoonish Schwarzenegger-esque one-liner, but some well-placed sarcasm or funny cutting remark at the right time would be welcome. But perhaps that's why there are some not-so-unwarranted criticisms about the dark nature of the film...the story doesn't allow for any opportunities for some light-hearted banter like we see in the Marvel films, but then again, maybe they're forging their own kind of superhero movies that lean more towards the dramatic, greek-tragedy-style stories that imply these are our modern myths...

I loved it, and I'd definitely love to see the extended version.

Haven't bought the blu-Ray yet. I usually get my superhero movies the first week of release when there's a sale. No sale on the DOJ movie. Just $25 which I wan't in the mood for paying. It was the same price again this week only this time Target offered a coupon for a free pop with purchase. Ehhhhhh....still not good enough. It will go in sale eventually.

• Like 1