Can't Stop Thinking About The Force Awakens (MAJOR SPOILER!!!)

DarthJoe

Han's death.

When it happened in the movie, I felt the emotional impact of seeing one of my lifelong movie heroes die, but I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did because I can't stop thinking about it now. I didn't expect this to happen going into the movie, but as the confrontation between him and Kylo came to a head, everyone in the audience knew that's the direction the movie had to go.

I don't see how anyone could dislike this movie if you grew up with Star Wars.

Great job all around, and I can't wait to go see it again!

• Like 2

This was very much a set up/pass the torch movie. It was well done but the ending immediately made me want more. Which I guess is what you want a movie to do. Overall satisfying.

The new main characters were all fun and interesting which is probably the most important thing if they are to be the future of this franchise (or at least the next set of three movies). Rey in particular. I liked the friendship established between Fin and Poe, Kylo has the interesting twist of being tempted toward the light side and trying to pull away from it.

Han's death: I called it but it was still tough watching him go, he is a childhood hero to so many. However, his story has been told. I mentioned in the other thread how the character has come full circle going from the cynic to a true believer in the Force. When I saw the first full trailer, and knowing Ford wanted to put SW behind him ever since ROTJ, his death was the only thing I was willing to bet on. It was a good death though. Had a real emotional impact. RIP Han Solo, one of the great sci-fi fantasy characters of all time.

Luke: I wasn't expecting a whole lot of him in the movie but I guess I was expecting more than we got. I remember JJ talking about one of the things that drew him toward doing the movie was the question of "Who is Luke Skywalker?" That question did not seem very explored to me. That being said, the last scene with Rey's hike up the mountain was really suspenseful for me just because I knew we were finally going to get to see Luke. For a few seconds before the movie ends.....But it was a cool ending.

I noticed a couple of parallels between this and the OT: a droid carrying crucial information, a big planet-like weapon blowing things up, a creature cafe...

As you could guess, a lot of those figures that we got were background characters that had no impact on the movie and in some cases weren't seen in the movie at all (Constable Zuvio, anyone???) Phasma: Ep. VII's Boba Fett? It's OK though, that's Star Wars for ya. No one forced me to buy Sarco Plank.

Overall the new main characters are what really drew me in. There's more stories to be told with them. More to find out about Rey and Kylo and the new big (literally) bad guy. Looking forward to Episode VIII.

• Like 2

Loved it.....great popcorn movie....I was 8 yrs old again....yes it mirrored the Original in so many ways but everything's been done to death....No Jar Jar & finally no Galactic Senate, I liked the StarKiller idea (nice inside nod to the original name for Luke)....guess they didn't vote on that project...there was really only one way to go for Han & we all knew this was coming....Ford seemed uncomfortable in the interview dealing w/this whole spectacle...Luke at the end was awesome...I really did like how they showed Finn's progression....he looked like he experienced some PTSD w/the whole "bloody face rub" from his fellow soldier or friend? perhaps...sometimes the good shows up in the damndest places....& "Ben" killing his father was a reverse to Darth finally embracing the light.....how would Ben react if he knew his Grandad gave up on the Darkside in the zero-hour?....as for Ben/Kylo's tantrums, he's not Darth & that's what this movie is presenting...he's very young & inexperienced so were the First Order, lotsa fresh faces & nary an older general to be seen, he thinks he's trained but he hasn't completed his "test" yet...I think Rey is either Han & Leia's younger daughter or Luke's.....they had to hide her after her older brother or cousin went to the Dark maybe killing Luke's wife?...not many Force feelers in this universe at this point so.....I really hope that Finn becomes a Jedi....I got goosebumps when he turned it on....& even moreso when Ray went toe-to-toe w/Ben.....they're young & still not "masters" of their disciplines so it was understandable that they were off their saber games....Ben was wounded & upset that she had that much power & she was getting stronger by the minute....I wonder if Capt. Phasma was a jab at Bobba Fett in that....she had little to do but march around looking shiny....maybe more next movie...it left me wanting more which was good....Poe was awesome too....great flying, but I was missing the Y-wings....going to see it again...

• Like 2

Han's death: I called it but it was still tough watching him go, he is a childhood hero to so many. However, his story has been told. I mentioned in the other thread how the character has come full circle going from the cynic to a true believer in the Force. When I saw the first full trailer, and knowing Ford wanted to put SW behind him ever since ROTJ, his death was the only thing I was willing to bet on. It was a good death though. Had a real emotional impact. RIP Han Solo, one of the great sci-fi fantasy characters of all time.

Patton, MacArthur, Eisenhower... yeah... their stories had all been told by the War to End All Wars.

as for Ben/Kylo's tantrums, he's not Darth & that's what this movie is presenting...he's very young & inexperienced so were the First Order,

That's one thing I liked about Kylo, he's not a fully realized villain yet but he's working towards it, you don't see that too often. Usually it's the good guy working towards becoming the fully realized hero.

Also glad they didn't keep his face a mystery and that he's not horribly scared underneath that helmet both of those have been done to death. If they were to do things different, though, maybe they could have saved seeing his face until the confrontation with Han on the bridge. More dramatic?

Apparently Ewing McGreggor had a line of dialogue in that dream sequence. I missed it but I did pick out a bit of Yoda and old Obi Wan. I was betting on little to no prequel influence in this movie and I guess we got "little". It's all good though. That was a cool scene.

Another thing I liked was Rey taking over piloting the Falcon alongside Chewie. After all that had happened, it kind of gave you some hope for the future and a desire to follow her new adventures.

I really want old versions of the big 3 in figure form now. I think it's gonna be fun posing them next to my vintage guys.

The part I kept thinking about? ...

Did Han pull off the ultimate HALO jump or what? Lol!

I asked this at the local comic store this morning and got as puzzled look. I think it's because I didn't set up the question very well. In order to sneak onto the StarKiller planet, they had to be moving faster than light to get past the shields. Han comes flying in from another system and "pulls the shoot" at the last second, then proceeds to mow down some trees. That Falcon is one tough little ship!

Patton, MacArthur, Eisenhower... yeah... their stories had all been told by the War to End All Wars.

C'mon, man. I want to know what you think of this movie. Yeah I saw your post about it being a "mess" but I want specifics. You have about three years worth of Episode 7 bashing to justify @smilepunch@

When Ren asked for Han's "help" on the cat-walk I knew what was coming. It changed nothing. When the deed was done, it was like taking a hit with a sack of doorknobs. I couldn't have been more shocked.

If this one scene had been spoiled before I got to see it in person, I never would've forgiven myself.

I'd say Abrams brought his "A-Game" to this one, but the fact is, his "A-Game" has never been this good. The man has raised the bar for himself and everyone else.

• Like 1

It was about what I expected... if you know of and like SW, it's great. If not, its pretty sloppy and just above average. I'm caught somewhere between. I agree with the few complaints about mashing poetic elements of ANH and ESB in that it doesn't work for me for tonal shifts: I was hoping for more fun than "epic/feels." There are a lot of unanswered questions that could be plot holes, or dependent of the rest of the trilogy to fill the gaps. Mystery is one thing (Ray's origin, Luke's motivations), and should be drawn out. Other things might be minor nitpicks, but my biggest need is the explanation of hope the post-Jedi republic works, the resistance, the first order... definitely not as clear as these are the good guys, these are the bad guys like ANH obviously.

Starkiller Base: pretty lame. I was expecting at least some attempt at something more than its a bigger death star that fires several bolts at once... like "that's why we couldn't find it, we were looking for it orbiting a planet... it is the planet! And its about to fire!!!"

The passage of time: Like Ghostbusters 2, I don't like the idea that our heroes have been inactive since last seen on screen or busted down to lows so that screenwriters only have to work so hard to bring them back to normal. Leia and Han broke up, Han is smuggling zoo animals, the Falcon is rusting in the dust, Luke is in hiding, Artoo is in a coma... any kid ever act that one out with the toys they sold us over the past 30 years? Having to put your Han Solo figure in the freezer for 3 years was hard enough.

Kylo Ren: Shades of Grandpa Christiansen...relatable to spoiled millennials. Like the approach with the new Lex Luthor, this may maximize the hate I have for him in the end?

Snoke/Maz: I guess that no one told them that, in addition to pushing practical effects and props, that make-up effects might be welcome? Horrible, horrible motion capture creatures... really took me out of the movie while onscreen.

Phasma: Cool armor? Check. Icy demeanor? Check. 2 minutes of screen time? Check. 300 million units of product produced with the character likeness? Check... ladies and gentleman... your new Bob Fett!

Han's Death: no surprise there. Not the way I want a hero to die... ignominious. Meh. Chewie got over it pretty quick... at least from what we see. He's even more of a background character in the scenes following. Life debt paid, time to bring in the family. Lumpy for episode 8!

Luke Skywalker: mystery, but not keen on the implication that he trained Jedi... and continued the long tradition of failure and running away with your tail between your legs.

Positives: practical effects when they could spare the time were great

new and old characters were well performed... yes, I like the new gang.

BB8 wasn't as stupid as Jar Jar or as cutesy as Ewoks...so he was great!

lightsaber battles (save for saber blocking troopers) were excellent. Heavy broadswords! No asinine choreography!

I plan on seeing it again to see if these are gut reactions and nothing more. There is a lot riding on looking back on the parts when the trilogy is complete, but that doesn't excuse TFA from structure issues as a stand-alone.

PS- anyone else buy Constable Zuvio figures? Wasn't he great in the movie?! And how about those snowspeeders? Fantastic!

Actually, if you watch Rey's dream sequence, Constable Zuvio is getting killed by Kylo Ren in the rain.

So he does show up, in a brief scene, barely visible, just to be killed.

As you could guess, a lot of those figures that we got were background characters that had no impact on the movie and in some cases weren't seen in the movie at all (Constable Zuvio, anyone???) Phasma: Ep. VII's Boba Fett? It's OK though, that's Star Wars for ya. No one forced me to buy Sarco Plank.

Actually, if you watch Rey's dream sequence, Constable Zuvio is getting killed by Kylo Ren in the rain.

Ladies and gentlemen, the New Ice Cream Maker Guy!

Ladies and gentlemen, the New Ice Cream Maker Guy!

Rain on Jakku?

Ice cream maker? That was a stolen imperial data core. Everyone knows that.

It was about what I expected... if you know of and like SW, it's great. If not, its pretty sloppy and just above average. I'm caught somewhere between. I agree with the few complaints about mashing poetic elements of ANH and ESB in that it doesn't work for me for tonal shifts: I was hoping for more fun than "epic/feels." There are a lot of unanswered questions that could be plot holes, or dependent of the rest of the trilogy to fill the gaps. Mystery is one thing (Ray's origin, Luke's motivations), and should be drawn out. Other things might be minor nitpicks, but my biggest need is the explanation of hope the post-Jedi republic works, the resistance, the first order... definitely not as clear as these are the good guys, these are the bad guys like ANH obviously.

Starkiller Base: pretty lame. I was expecting at least some attempt at something more than its a bigger death star that fires several bolts at once... like "that's why we couldn't find it, we were looking for it orbiting a planet... it is the planet! And its about to fire!!!"

The passage of time: Like Ghostbusters 2, I don't like the idea that our heroes have been inactive since last seen on screen or busted down to lows so that screenwriters only have to work so hard to bring them back to normal. Leia and Han broke up, Han is smuggling zoo animals, the Falcon is rusting in the dust, Luke is in hiding, Artoo is in a coma... any kid ever act that one out with the toys they sold us over the past 30 years? Having to put your Han Solo figure in the freezer for 3 years was hard enough.

Kylo Ren: Shades of Grandpa Christiansen...relatable to spoiled millennials. Like the approach with the new Lex Luthor, this may maximize the hate I have for him in the end?

Snoke/Maz: I guess that no one told them that, in addition to pushing practical effects and props, that make-up effects might be welcome? Horrible, horrible motion capture creatures... really took me out of the movie while onscreen.

Phasma: Cool armor? Check. Icy demeanor? Check. 2 minutes of screen time? Check. 300 million units of product produced with the character likeness? Check... ladies and gentleman... your new Bob Fett!

Han's Death: no surprise there. Not the way I want a hero to die... ignominious. Meh.

Luke Skywalker: mystery, but not keen on the implication that he trained Jedi... and continued the long tradition of failure and running away with your tail between your legs.

Positives: practical effects when they could spare the time were great

new and old characters were well performed... yes, I like the new gang.

BB8 wasn't as stupid as Jar Jar or as cutesy as Ewoks...so he was great!

lightsaber battles (save for saber blocking troopers) were excellent. Heavy broadswords! No asinine choreography!

I plan on seeing it again to see if these are gut reactions and nothing more. There is a lot riding on looking back on the parts when the trilogy is complete, but that doesn't excuse TFA from structure issues as a stand-alone.

PS- anyone else buy Constable Zuvio figures? Wasn't he great in the movie?! And how about those snowspeeders? Fantastic!

I'll give you a few of those criticisms.

Starkiller base as "Death Star Only Bigger" is questionable. However, having a giant cannon carved into the side of a planet that is a frozen wasteland is kind of cool.

Phasma is without a doubt the Bobba Fett of the film. Expect much literature (books, comic, or fan fiction) published between now and episode VIII explaining why we should think she's cool.

I disagree about Han's death, I do think it was appropriate (and make no mistake, if Ford was going to do this or any other SW, Han's death would most likely need to be written into his contract). Was Han wrong for picking up and leaving when his son turned to the dark side? Debatable. But his last act was trying to help his son the only way he could. It was a nobel effort. Also, killing him off the way they did furthers the development of one of the new main cast. I think it was handled well.

Our heroes being inactive I think was also necessary if they were going to play up the notion that these people are myths and legends from a time long ago. People Rey and Fin had only heard about in stories. I'm fine with them laying low. Leia, apparently was fighting the whole time.

I think the jurey is still out on four characters: Rey, Kylo, Luke, and Snoke.

Rey and Kylo I am least worried about. I think they both had solid introductions and it's just a matter of seeing where they go from here. Looking forward to it.

With Luke we were told that he went into hiding after his failure to train Kylo correctly. I am holding out hope that there is more to it than that and it's one of the reasons I wish we got just a little bit more of Luke in this movie. I don't want it to end up being like another Obi Wan situation. I desperately want Luke to be a Jedi that is different from Obi Wan, Yoda, and any of the cookie cutter Jedi from the prequels. I want a solid reason for him going into exile beyond the fact that he's feeling sorry for himself. We;ll have to wait on that one though.

I would also like there to be more to Snoke. So far he's the "Big Bad" hiding in the shadows. Give me more than that.

Our heroes being inactive I think was also necessary if they were going to play up the notion that these people are myths and legends from a time long ago. People Rey and Fin had only heard about in stories. I'm fine with them laying low. Leia, apparently was fighting the whole time.

Oh, please... do I have to talk about Rebels and its lightsaber wielding heroes and villains again? Crazy old wizards and sorcerer's ways indeed.

Sorry DarthJoe....Since you were born in 1980, Han Solo...not really one of your childhood heroes. Sorry.

Only us that were born BEFORE 1977 can lay claim to that fact. We lived at a time when there was NO Star Wars. In fact the only real fans saw it in the theater in 1977.

Sorry DarthJoe....Since you were born in 1980, Han Solo...not really one of your childhood heroes. Sorry.

Only us that were born BEFORE 1977 can lay claim to that fact. We lived at a time when there was NO Star Wars. In fact the only real fans saw it in the theater in 1977.

HA! I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

I was born in 79, but I can guarantee you I saw all three Star Wars plenty of times through the magic of VHS.....during my childhood. So many times that I could safely call Han Solo one of my childhood heroes as well.

Just saw it last night, and I want to share my reactions and impressions, but I'm not sure where to begin. I've had approximately thirty-plus years of expectations built up for this film, and I'm not sure any film could live up to that kind of pressure from old-time fans...

I'll begin by saying I have mixed emotions about The Force Awakens; that's not to say it isn't great and I was disappointed, quite the contrary actually...I think I was just so caught up in trying to absorb the story that I didn't get to dwell long on what I loved about it, that and I was busy trying to focus and keep up with all of the 3-D imagery, which gave me a blinding headache, by the way... (lol)

The Good: I really enjoyed the action sequences and the special effects. It gave this movie that old-fashioned swashbuckling feel the original trilogy had, and it felt like you were on a really exciting and thrilling fun park ride. And it seemed like the younger cast members were having as much of a blast as we the audience were, with all of the whooping and hollering. It was great and truly invoked the fun of the original movies.

Also, the characters were so much more relatable and easier to root for than what we saw in the prequels...I came to love each of them and felt like they had a true sense of camaraderie and chemistry like the original actors did. They were simple, and their motivations were clear and understandable.

I loved the First Order characters. General Hux reminded me of a young Palpatine, and the Stormtroopers were fun to watch, too. Incidentally, I liked the passing comment someone made on the bridge of a Star Destroyer(?) about how perhaps Supreme Commander Snoke might need a clone army to do his bidding a little more efficiently and without question. I thought that was a nice little nod to the prequels...

Kylo Ren...wow, I was endlessly fascinated by him. He may prove to be my favorite character from the new films. I had seen in recent interviews with Adam Driver and J.J. Abrams that they collaborated to make Kylo a very multi-faceted, complex character, and they didn't disappoint in the least. I want to know more about him and see where they take the character in the future.

The original trilogy characters...I felt like their respective progressions and developments following Return of the Jedi made sense and were completely appropriate.

The new X-Wings and TIE-fighters...I want one of each, REAL ones. (lol)

I'll be perfectly honest and admit that I initially thought the character of Rey was a pc stunt, a statement, if you will, about the absence of more strong female characters in the Star Wars universe. (Incidentally, George Lucas even tinkered with the notion back in the day with making Luke's character in the OT a girl...) Despite my misgivings, I absolutely fell in love with her character. She carried the movie as the main protagonist very well, and she was very loveable and fun to watch. She was tough but not in a butchy-Ridley-from-Aliens-way...she was resourceful and scrappy, yet vulnerable and charming all at the same time. And I absolutely loved how she slowly discovered her Force sensibilities in a confused and unwitting way. She's a great character and fun to watch, an instant favorite and classic character for me.

I also loved Finn, and I loved seeing the moral and conscientious struggle he went through as a Stormtrooper that ultimately deserts his post and wants to do the right thing. He's rogue-ish and tough, but he also comes across as a little shell-shocked and star-struck...like Rey, he was just very interesting and fun to watch.

Poe Dameron...I expected him to be aloof and cocky, but I was way wrong. He comes across as the gentler and more loveable version of Han Solo, someone that when you meet them feels familiar and brotherly, like you've known them all your life. Just a truly great character that I want to see more of...

Supreme Commander Snoke...love this guy. He takes the evil persona and mystery of Palpatine and multiplies it by a thousand. I wanna see more of him as well. But I wonder...is he really four stories tall, as his hologram implies, or is that like the huge Palpatine hologram in Empire that just magnifies his superiority and demeans his audience? I can't wait to learn more about him. I just wonder if he has any connections to Palpatine or the Dark Side in general...

The Bad: If I were to be truly honest and suspend my fanatical disposition for a moment, I could admit to some things that weren't quite right, as no film will ever be perfect. Having said that, this movie to me got very little wrong, and this may just be due to initial gut and knee-jerk reactions on my part...

For one thing, it felt like at times that J.J. Abrams borrowed too heavily from the original films, both in terms of the look and feel of things, and overall OT imagery. It almost felt like pandering to our collective sense of nostalgia, as others here have alluded to. It was very welcome and familiar in some ways, but in others it almost felt like, "Meh...I've seen this before and it's all too familiar." It was almost like Abrams was showing us his remake of A New Hope, so it felt predictable.

Starkiller Base...I liked how it seemed as if it were a cool base and superweapon built-into a planet, but even in the context of the movie itself they portrayed it simply as a space station like the Death Star...only BIGGER. It felt kinda hokey and cheap, and again it was predictable.

Too many questions...some mysteries presented by the rumors and previews were satisfactorily answered, but others were either only hinted at or ignored entirely. I kinda wish there had been just a little more exposition to explain the origins and motivations of the First Order; it was a lot like ANH in that we just jump into the new universe and we have these bad guys operating with little to no real explanation. But maybe we didn't need everything spoon-fed to us and explained in detail. Sometimes I like to fill in the gaps myself...

The Ugly: Now when I say "ugly", I don't necessarily mean "beyond bad", because there's very little bad in this movie to begin with. I guess to me it's the things that were tough to swallow, or thing, as it were: the death of Han Solo. Yes, Harrison Ford wanted it for his character arc way back in Jedi, along with Lawrence Kasdan, and yes, it does lend some gravitas to the story an truly underscores just how broken and evil Kylo Ren is. I get all that, but...it sure was gut-wrenching to watch one of my all-time favorite childhood heroes die in such a heartbreaking manner. It has truly depressed me on some level, as if these classic characters are like family to me, and I just lost a beloved uncle. It was very hard to watch...

Overall, I absolutely loved it. I can see why people are saying they want to see Episode VIII right now, because the ending with Luke's appearance just leaves you wanting to see more. And I walked out of the theater with more questions than answers...who is Rey, and who is her family? Where did Snoke come from, and what are his motivations? Is Finn a Calrissian, as Mas Kanneda possibly hinted at? It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see it again.

Han's death.

When it happened in the movie, I felt the emotional impact of seeing one of my lifelong movie heroes die, but I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did because I can't stop thinking about it now. I didn't expect this to happen going into the movie, but as the confrontation between him and Kylo came to a head, everyone in the audience knew that's the direction the movie had to go.

I don't see how anyone could dislike this movie if you grew up with Star Wars.

Great job all around, and I can't wait to go see it again!

I accidently came on this thread and seen Hans death posted first.That pissed me off because it spoiled it.

I finally got to see it today and I have to say I have mixed feelings, I liked it but I was underwhelmed by it.

Like many I was happy to watch the old gang return if only for the old nostalgia kick although by the time I was born all 3 movies had hit the cinema and I watched them on TV, VHS,etc. don't give a a crap if that makes me a true fan or not. lol. Harrison Ford still has it then again he's been pretty much playing a variation of Han Solo for most of his career but it was good to see him reprise his role nonetheless. The soundtrack was cool a nice mix of old and new music which hit the right tones. Really enjoyed the new characters especially Poe Dameron I was always a fan of Wedge and always loved the rebel pilots/Rogue Squadron aspect of Star Wars so seeing an X-wing pilot get a especial mission and something more to do was good and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Finn was pretty cool a little useless but some good character development I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as he felt more relatable. Rey or female Luke was a nice addition, had some cool developments and it's obviously the new face of the franchise that should please feminists everywhere. My problem with this movie it's that it felt more like a remake/reboot of A New Hope more than a new chapter, desert planet girl acquires a droid carrying an important piece of information for a resistance group who was looking for an old Jedi, pairs up with a fugitive on the run and meets a wizened old warrior who introduces them to the force and sets them on a journey to realize their destiny, more or less. I understand the need to connect and reference the OT but come on do something different. Speaking of different design wise this movie was a dud, Tie Fighters and X-wings with different colors wow no one burned any brain cells with that one. We got a desert planet, a sort of ice planet and a forest planet, even my wife asked me after the movie ended if the resistance was on Yavin because it looked like it, she said that the command center reminded her of the temple Anakin and Assajj Ventress fought in the old clone wars cartoon. I did enjoy the Stormtroopers designs but they still have poor marksmanship. As for the Force and Jedis I was hoping for a happy medium between Phantom Menace and A new Hope where we didn't have the golden age of the jedi but we also didn't have the Force and the Jedi are extinct their fire has gone out of the universe but again a retread of A New Hope. Also where is the explanation of the politics and the state galaxy at this point; save for one or two lines. As for the big 3 the gap between movies left a lot to be explained, especially their motivations it felt off considering the events of the movie. I'm hoping the sequels explain why Leia seemingly didn't have much training or mastering in the force save for feeling her husband's death, why they seemingly gave up on their son Jacen(sorry but their son turning to the dark side, it's too much like the expanded universe novels where Jacen Solo falls to the dark side and his twin sister has to stop him). Kylo Ren was disappointing he looked cool and intimidating in the promotional images and trailers but in the movie he just came across as a spoiled brat/ teenage rebellion who threw temper tantrums(that got old real quick) when things didn't go his way and got beat by a girl with a force mastery of about 5 minutes; I do commend his struggle with the light and the dark that was a nice touch. As for Solo's death more than one person spoiled for it me but it wasn't a big deal as Harrison Ford hates Star Wars and he wanted Han Solo killed off way back in ROTJ so this was sort of expected but it made for a very good, emotional scene that said it bothered me that neither Han or Leia didn't seem to care much about Kylo Ren it felt like they gave up on their son too quickly again we need some explanation of the gap between movies. Luke Skywalker's handling was the most disappointing to me, first we hear he disappeared I go: "OK that's weird but let's see where this goes", then we hear he tried to reach Ben Solo but couldn't bring him back to the light side I go: "OK that came across as Luke telling Kylo Ren please come back to the light side, Kylo Ren said no and he said OK I tried I'm gonna leave now, disappear and let you grow stronger in the dark side, pair up with an army and run amok". About halfway through the movie I start to get bored with exposition and still no Luke and then we see the NU Death Star in action so I go: OK, a whole system got destroyed, millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced, Luke definitely felt that he has to come back now and kick this little brat's butt, nothing. I kept hoping he was gonna pop up during the final battle and save Rey and Finn from Kylo wounding him in the process, Kylo would run away vowing to get stronger and get revenge, then Luke would turn to Rey and Finn and take them up as his students, nope nothing. We finally get to see Luke and credits roll Are you kidding me!?!?!? a freaking cameo!

Some other complaints I have are more like nitpicks, it felt off that Leia and Han would name their son Ben as Leia had little to no interaction with Ben Kenobi and Han didn't seem all that attached to him I felt Bail would have been more fitting, but small nitpick and ultimately inconsequential to the overall plot. I also felt this movie didn't have a wow factor, I always felt that the Star Wars movie all had something that would wow me even the prequels with all their flaws but this one the lightsaber battles were pretty generic, the same can be said about the X-wings/Tie Fighters although I did enjoy seeing X-wings in action again. Overall I felt JJ Abrams played it too safe with this movie, now I understand what Lucas said regarding the movie when he saw it. Still it could have been much worse *cough Star Trek in to Darkness cough*