It's time to turn another long-running superhero gay

yojoebro82

This time it's Iceman. He was always gay! You just never knew it. And look, it received attention from Good Morning America. Mission accomplished?

https://gma.yahoo.com/x-men-icon-iceman-comes-gay-183457516--abc-news-celebrities.html

I wonder, will we ever get to read about a superhero exploring their new found Christianity? Just wondering...

I think this is pretty stupid on a lot of levels. I haven't read the book in about a year, so I don't know how well this fits in with character development, but Bendis is an A$$ for doing this. First he does this on his last issue of the title. So it's either for the next writer to ignore (which I doubt they well considering the media attention) or run with it. When writers leave a book with some huge revelation I consider it lazy writing. Second Jean states the older Iceman (from the 616) is not gay, but the young one is. So is Bendis saying that being Gay is a choice and that the younger chose to be gay while the older one didn't? That's a nice way to piss off the LBGT community.

I also see the whole "create a new character" thing thrown about and while I really agree that that is the best way to do it, the fact is most new chracters don't last long or make an impact. When was the last time a character that wasn't created before the 80's really meant anything? Legacy characters don't count. The only one I can think of is Deadpool (In terms of popularity)and he was created in 90 or 91.

I hate when they do this stuff. Why not just make a superhero who happens to be gay and give them an interesting and not make their sexulaity everything.

Some creativity and originality would have to be involved in order for that to be a success. It's always easier to just rehash/alter something old.

I wonder, will we ever get to read about a superhero exploring their new found Christianity? Just wondering...

Maybe they can remind us of Nightcrawler's devout Roman Catholic beliefs and the two can have a very long and heated debate across several X-titles.

So, the theme of the X-men, different people struggling to find acceptance in their world, wasn't strong enough for people to draw parallels on their own anymore?

I think this is pretty stupid on a lot of levels. I haven't read the book in about a year, so I don't know how well this fits in with character development, but Bendis is an A$$ for doing this. First he does this on his last issue of the title. So it's either for the next writer to ignore (which I doubt they well considering the media attention) or run with it. When writers leave a book with some huge revelation I consider it lazy writing. Second Jean states the older Iceman (from the 616) is not gay, but the young one is. So is Bendis saying that being Gay is a choice and that the younger chose to be gay while the older one didn't? That's a nice way to piss off the LBGT community.

I also see the whole "create a new character" thing thrown about and while I really agree that that is the best way to do it, the fact is most new chracters don't last long or make an impact. When was the last time a character that wasn't created before the 80's really meant anything? Legacy characters don't count. The only one I can think of is Deadpool (In terms of popularity)and he was created in 90 or 91.

Bendis literally had his bags packed and was heading out the door when he turned around, pointed his finger (probably at random) and said, "Oh, and ahhhhh, by the way, you're gay. See ya!"

All-New X-Men should be canceled anyway. And no, not because of this. the whole premise is hackneyed. Beast didn't like the way Cyclops has been acting lately so he goes back in time to bring teenage Cyclops (along with the rest of the team, apparently) to the future to "talk sense into him"? That's literally what the set up is.

And you're right, it's been a long time since an all new character has been introduced who's had any kind of longevity. Deadpool....Gambit, maybe? Like I say, creating new material is just too difficult for some of these hacks.

Maybe they can remind us of Nightcrawler's devout Roman Catholic beliefs and the two can have a very long and heated debate across several X-titles.

So, the theme of the X-men, different people struggling to find acceptance in their world, wasn't strong enough for people to draw parallels on their own anymore?

I love Nightcrawler. These days his religion is largely ignored, though. Unless Chris Claremont is writing him. His series just got the ax, BTW...

One of my all time favorite cartoon episodes is the X-Men with Nightcrawler talking about his faith in God. I look at that today and can't believe that episode actually aired on network TV. No one would ever think of making that episode today. Heck, they even had Wolverine praying to God by the end of it! Unbelievable!

I hate when they do this stuff. Why not just make a superhero who happens to be gay and give them an interesting and not make their sexulaity everything.

That's a great idea..Iceman has been around for a long time and all of a sudden he is gay?? How many Marvel Super Heroes are gay now?

I don't mind that Iceman might be gay, since he could have been gay the whole time and just not admitted it/revealed it/came out/whatever(the older one, I mean). You never know. What I don't approve of is how Bendis handled the reveal. And yes, All-New X-men is ridiculous.

As far as I know, gay Marvel superheroes are Northstar, that one guy who was on Cyclops' most recent X-men team, Shatterstar, Rictor, and now Iceman. I don't know of any others, and those are probably the most popular ones.

I And yes, All-New X-men is ridiculous.

The whole premise is wack. On multiple levels. Even as far as sci-fi/fantasy is concerned.

As I said, Beast basically didn't like the way events played out so his solution is to build a time machine, bring young Cyclops to the future (weather he wants to go or not?) and "talk sense" into older Cyclops??? If you're going to time travel to alter events to fit your liking, how may other multiple ways are there to go about it!? That's assuming Beast-a good guy....a SMART, good guy-would even realistically resort to this lame-brained stunt in the first place. And, of course, once they young X-Men are here, they choose not to go back. Too much important work to do here in the future, I guess?

The whole thing was done so they can bring Jean Grey back again. This time around she apparently has no control over her mind reading powers (you know, like how Rogue couldn't control her powers) to make things "interesting". Oh, and to make one of them gay, I guess.

I actually gave the book a chance to prove to me that it's good enough for me to overlook the insane premise. It didn't work out. Too much long, drawn out, Bendis-style talking heads. Avengers and/or old X-Men showing up every other issue, looking like they're there for a fight but then ending up just talking a lot. And a lot of waiting for things to happen. For me this book was dropped long before the gay stunt.

OK, my comic panning is done for the day. Time to go to work.

Is that how that happened?

The only time someone wrote something about time travel that was seriously thought-provoking and not just a stunt was when Ultron conquered Earth and Kang broke time, and someone asked Iron Man why he didn't have a time machine. Certainly he could build one. And Tony said that's what super-villains do. You change time to suit what you think is right. To change the world to better suit you. That's what super-villains do.

And now you too, Beast.

The only time someone wrote something about time travel that was seriously thought-provoking and not just a stunt was when Ultron conquered Earth and Kang broke time, and someone asked Iron Man why he didn't have a time machine. Certainly he could build one. And Tony said that's what super-villains do. You change time to suit what you think is right. To change the world to better suit you. That's what super-villains do.

And now you too, Beast.

Yeah, like the first time Claremont, Bendis or some other rock-star writer gets a bee in their bonnet Tony won't throw together a suit of "Quantum Leap Armor."

• 2 weeks later...

i dont understand why media needs to do something like this. they are comic book characters, there is no need to bring up their sexuality, i really dont care if they are stright, gay, bi or tri, alls they need to do is fight crime and kick villian butt. it feels like a lot of media forms are hopping on the gay train just to garner attention. it feels cheap.

• Like 1

And now you too, Beast.

Yeah, like the first time Claremont, Bendis or some other rock-star writer gets a bee in their bonnet Tony won't throw together a suit of "Quantum Leap Armor."

If Tony does, I hope he leaps into one of those cross-dressing situations. They always cracked me up as a kid.

Doesn't the X-men universe already have like ALL of the non-traditionally sexually oriented hero characters anyway? I forgot to include Daken earlier (he was revealed as bisexual, right?). It's about time they put a transgendered mutant character at front and center. Or reveal that Mystique was a man originally, which is what I always thought was true anyway.

And now you too, Beast.

If Tony does, I hope he leaps into one of those cross-dressing situations. They always cracked me up as a kid.

Doesn't the X-men universe already have like ALL of the non-traditionally sexually oriented hero characters anyway? I forgot to include Daken earlier (he was revealed as bisexual, right?). It's about time they put a transgendered mutant character at front and center. Or reveal that Mystique was a man originally, which is what I always thought was true anyway.

It doesn't really matter to me what they do to Iceman. To me, he's always gonna be the guy from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. That's the only version I care about. That's my ideal of the character, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks. They can pull whatever cheesy publicity stunt they want, but they'll never be able to take that away.

It doesn't really matter to me what they do to Iceman. To me, he's always gonna be the guy from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. That's the only version I care about. That's my ideal of the character, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks. They can pull whatever cheesy publicity stunt they want, but they'll never be able to take that away.

Sigh...I wish Marvel movies were as fun as those old toons.

Sigh...I wish Marvel movies were as fun as those old toons.

I'd gladly give up the Marvel movies if it meant we could GET more cartoons like those.