Talk about Marvel Star Wars comics

yojoebro82

I never got too much into the Dark Horse Star Wars. Nothing against DH or the stories they told, I'm sure there are a lot of good ones to be read. I just never got around to it. When word came that SW was (unsurprisingly) going back to Marvel once Disney bought the franchise, I didn't really care one way or the other.

That being said, I picked up the Star Wars #1 comic because why not? The comic delivered! Great artwork and a solid story with classic characters that we all love.

The art: These kinds of comics-based on real life actors-are tricky. Personally, I don't need to see an actor's portrait portrayed perfectly in every panel. John Cassady is an industry great and he delivers a good mix of capturing the actor's likenesses while not sacrificing his own style of storytelling. The look of the book is perfect. The only downside is that Cassady has trouble keeping up monthly work. Also, Marvel likes to put the big name artists on the first story arc whenever they renumber a book and then replace him with a lesser-known once they have people's attention. If I had to guess, he won't be on the book too long, but I hope I'm wrong. If we get 25 issues from him like with Astonishing X-Men, I'll be happy.

The writing: Jason Aaron's handling of these characters is, so far, dead on. Most notably with Han Solo, who I could hear Harrison Ford's voice in my head as I was reading his dialogue. The characterization was nailed. Subtle humor throughout the book, just like you would find in the OT movies. (Young Luke's failed mind trick, "It was worth a try.") 3PO was interesting...if I'm not mistaken, I could have sworn he was giving a little back to Han Solo when they were exchanging dialogue, giving 3PO a bit of an edge to his personality that I kind of like (I may have read too much into that, though, we'll see how it develops). Looking forward to seeing the hijacked AT-ATs and 3PO clearing off the Falcon with his pistol next issue.

I'm in. My only bit of trepidation is that this is Marvel and if the property is handled anything like Avengers and X-Men, then they will have an impossible amount of SW titles going at once, all of which will cross over once a year in a big cluster :*&^ that you have to spend $50+ to read. I really hope that doesn't happen. For now I'm just going to enjoy it.

Oh and I was reading this which I pretty much agree with

http://ap.ign.com/star-wars-coleco/85767/feature/ive-got-issues-marvels-star-wars-comic-bodes-well