New Ghostbuster movie happening

Belmont13

Call me crazy, but I'm gonna give this one a chance. I figure, at the very least, it'll be the kind of escapist, popcorn movie that made me love hitting the theatre as a kid. That would put it in the same neighborhood as Back to the Future, the original Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones.

Not a bad neighborhood.

Whenever someone says "good popcorn movie" nowadays, I think of this:

2680342845_46309532a8.jpg

It's used too often to excuse horrible filmmaking. I've also heard it in conjunction with "shut off your brain."

I could be wrong about the whole, but for now there is no amount of popcorn escapism/nostalgia to sell me on the unfunny trailers, CGI fakery, and Ms Slimer.

I could be wrong about the whole, but for now there is no amount of popcorn escapism/nostalgia to sell me on the unfunny trailers, CGI fakery, and Ms Slimer.

Oh now just hold on a minute! You're welcome to your own opinion sir, but that "CGI fakery" shot was complete BS!

I've seen my share of CGI, and I can tell you every one of the ghosts and nuclear powered particle streams on that screen were completely real.

CGI. Next your gonna tell me Paul Rudd DIDN'T grow to 80 feet tall.

• Like 1

Now a female voice... lol

One thing, I am getting sick of hearing about this movie. REally really. But I do agree- It is ridiculous that anyone who does not like the idea or trailer of this movie is sexist/racist.. .whatever... That's a stupid assumption, MOST of the time. My hubby says he thinks it looks like crap, but I think I've convinced him to see it with me. Very rarely do I ask to see movies with him- typically we are seeing something he wants to see. Or we are watching a show or cartoon he wants to watch- so he is going to give me this one. haha (I read what you wrote, @yojoebro82. lol)

That being said, at least I am hoping I can go see this in theaters... I really loved the originals, and the whole concept behind the movies I enjoyed. So even if this is sadly a reboot, I am willing to give it a shot. The CGI doesn't bother me, and while I don't love any of the female characters, I think I can tolerate them (lol), at least to get a GB "fix". I really am hoping they can keep in the spirit of the original, to an extent. Somehow!
The movie doesn't seem like it is going to be an AMAZING movie, but I'm hoping to enjoy it. We will see soon enough, I guess.

That being said, at least I am hoping I can go see this in theaters... I really loved the originals, and the whole concept behind the movies I enjoyed. So even if this is sadly a reboot, I am willing to give it a shot. The CGI doesn't bother me, and while I don't love any of the female characters, I think I can tolerate them (lol), at least to get a GB "fix". I really am hoping they can keep in the spirit of the original, to an extent. Somehow!

The movie doesn't seem like it is going to be an AMAZING movie, but I'm hoping to enjoy it. We will see soon enough, I guess.

My point exactly. I'm a fan of the franchise, and the movie looks interesting.

Those are my ONLY criteria right there. And if the movie should suck...then I've traded 24 bucks for popcorn, a coke, raisinettes and about two hours out of a hot summer day in a dark, air conditioned room where the world can't find me. Not a bad trade.

• 4 months later...

I finally saw this movie during a "scary" movie night along with Sawn of the Dead, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Got it at the Red Box. With expectations set to "low", I found this movie to be pretty enjoyable. Thoughts:

The Comedy- If you go in with the understanding that the brand of humor is going to be completely different in this movie, I think you'll be doing yourself a favor. I heard the humor from the first GB movie described as "bone dry" which is true and it could have only been pulled off with Murray, Akroyd, Ramis. I love dry humor, it's what I gravitate toward. I think this movie was smart to not try to copy that and go with their own brand. Now different people have different senses of humor, of course, so it's useless to say which is funnier and which isn't. But I found myself laughing at a lot of parts of this movie.

The cast- I think this cast worked, they had good chemistry. I think I liked the Kate McKinnon character the most, I thought she was pretty funny, but I found myself enjoying all of them on some level. Hemsworh's Kevin was good. I enjoyed the original cast cameos. The big bad was lame.

The CGI- Probably my least favorite part of the movie. It looked way too cartoony for my liking. I like practical FX and I know you pretty much have to do CG with ghosts, I just wanted it toned down more, I guess. It got too cartoony and less scary. Slimer was neat. Mrs. Slimer was dumb. "Time Square" was obviously a green screen. I thought their new ghostbusting gadgets like the ghost puncher and the ghost chipper were kind of ridiculous.

Homage to and/or copying of elements of the original- I'm sure I didn't catch all of them, but I was fine with it. For the most part they told their own story and did their own thing, so if they too make a big ghost walking down the street in the final act, so be it.

I watched this with the wife, sister in law and her husband and we all agree that this was an enjoyable movie overall. The husband who is a fellow geek and went in with expectations just as low as mine even thought it was OK. Of all the things above, I feel the two most important elements to me, comedy and cast, worked out well. The CGI and what they did and didn't copy is less important. Now I just wonder if, with all the hate that this movie got, will we get to see them follow up with their mention of Zoul in a sequel.

I was completely on-board for this until I read somewhere that the original cast-members that do show up are in cameos that have nothing to do with the original characters. To me that's just sad, disappointing, and a huge wasted opportunity. It's as if they're just completely disregarding the original films. Once I realized that, I was done. If the older guys would have been their mentors, or heck...even just family members in a sweet little wink-wink, nudge-nudge kind of appearance, then it would have been perfect to me. But for this to be a complete reboot? No thanks, not interested...and that's sad because I really think these ladies are extremely funny.

I'm actually surprised at the hate for this movie in this thread. I thought it was a fun movie, with plenty of good moments. The humor was also done well.

If the older guys would have been their mentors, or heck...even just family members in a sweet little wink-wink, nudge-nudge kind of appearance, then it would have been perfect to me.

Ernie Hudson actually was a family member to the Leslie Jones character. I didn't mind the cameos. To me it's no different than Lou Ferigno showing up for a cameo in a Hulk movie.

I'm actually surprised at the hate for this movie in this thread.

The first trailer was not very good and I think that really turned a lot of people who were highly skeptical into full blown haters. Now if you reserved judgement until seeing it and still didn't like it, then more power too you.

Yeah, I personally feel a lot of the hate is undeserved which makes two movies which I feel that way about from this past summer (the other being X-Men Apocalypse which, despite not being a perfect movie, I still can't figure out the hate for the life of me.)

• Like 1