Talk about X-Men DOFP here

yojoebro82

I thought I'd start this separate from the trailer thread just sos we can all talk spoilers.

I liked it. This movie had to be made just to straighten out the continuity mess that Fox allowed X-Men films to become. Taken on their own merits, I did find the majority of the previous six films enjoyable, but little things in one film would contradict other films. Plus there was the even bigger problem on key characters being killed off that never should have been. All that's fixed now, apparently, which makes this X-Men fan happy and very appreciative of this film. Anyway, as for the movie itself:

I did like Quicksilver a lot. The fiance liked him too and she was really excited when I whispered to her that he's Magneto's son. (I tried explaining to her that we'll see him again in Avengers 2 and attempted to explain the legal mumbo-jumbo behind it but I don't think she understood it....which is understandable...)

Dinklage made a great villain.

Nice handling of cuts between the future and the past. Time travel was dealt with with minimal headache.

Surprise appearances at the end. I had a feeling we'd see Cyclops, Jean, and Rogue, but I never thought we'd see the Kelsey Grammar Beast again.

So X3 is effectively erased now? Fine by me.

Three small gripes:

No explanation of how Stewart Professor X is alive in the first place after his body was obliterated in X3. I guess we'll never know...

More Stewart and McKellen action (especially McKellen) would have been nice. But there was a lot going on as-is.

No Stan Lee cameo :(

It was a good film and I think the ending was my favorite part. See, mutants can have a happy ending. Ideally, going forward, I'd say take this cast and run with it now that they're all alive again. But I know they're going back to the 80s with the next film. It's fine because they have strong actors for young Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique (plus Lawrence is currently the darling of Hollywood so there's no way they're letting her go). I just want to see the X-Men mainstays all on screen together one way or another. And hey! How about.....in costume!!! Maybe next time.

Surprise appearances at the end. I had a feeling we'd see Cyclops, Jean, and Rogue, but I never thought we'd see the Kelsey Grammar Beast again.

No explanation of how Stewart Professor X is alive in the first place after his body was obliterated in X3. I guess we'll never know...

More Stewart and McKellen action (especially McKellen) would have been nice. But there was a lot going on as-is.

Sadly, no Nightcrawler cameo at the end...and speaking of, Azazel is dead. Is Mystique preggers with Nightcrawler during the events of this movie, or are they going a completely different route? I hear he's supposed to return in future sequels, so i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, the Prof. X mystery bothers me too.

I was excited to see that there was going to be a Wolvie/Magneto showdown, even if it was Fassbender this time. No metal claw should level the playing field a bit but...oh...wait...its over...just like that...oh, well...next time...

Wish the 70s sentinels had more to do...again...maybe next time.

And I gotta say it again...Quicksilver was a lot of fun!

Sadly, no Nightcrawler cameo at the end...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. It would have been great to see him bamfing on screen even if it was in the background. This is one character that should have been in a lot more X-Men movies.

Number 1 movie over Memorial Day weekend...among the highest critical reviews for any comic movie...and we're the only 2 nerds in this forum talking about it, Joe.

Strange.

Yeah....I almost thought this was the Arrow thread for a second!

It is indeed strange. A few threads down are six pages on Agents of SHIELD ranging anywhere from luke-warm episode reviews to lists of complaints with a few personal bickerings thrown in for good measure.

Doesn't anyone like to talk about the cool shows?

I enjoyed this movie as well. Just some minor gripes of my own:

Quicksilver's music. Unless he found a way to make music play as fast as he runs, the scene where is listening while doing his work would never have been possible. I know it's nit picking, but that really bothered me. He essentially did everything in the time span of less than a second, so he shouldn't have been able to even hear one note of his music. But anyway.

Wolverine was a bystander for the most part. He really didn't do much of anything of note. Had they not needed his healing powers to get someone that far back in time, he would have had no purpose.

Also, why did they need Magneto in the past? He pretty much went his own way almost as soon as they broke him out. He didn't really help them get back on their feet (or off of them in Charles' case). Wolvie's little speech seemed to be the turning point for Charles (so I guess they did need Wolverine for something), not anything Mags did or said.

And to answer your Professor X coming back question, that was answered after the credits in X3. He had supposedly transferred his mind into another body. Now while commentary on the DVD says that this other body happened to be a brain dead twin brother (that sounds even dumber as I typed it), it could be possible that it was just a random body and Charles is able to project his original look onto that body by messing with the minds of those around him. This could explain why his look in the future looks just like he did in the end of X3 before his body turned to dust.

On the Nightcrawler note, maybe the reason we didn't see him was because in that altered future he was never born. Azazel did indeed die, Mystique never had her baby boy, he never shows up in the future.

Wonder if we ended up with metal infused Wolverine, since it is Mystique that is taking him away at the end and not the actual Stryker. Unless they want to say that the whole Weapon X project was run by Mystique masquerading as Stryker the whole time, which would go against her character that she has portrayed throughout the other movies. I just don't see the one that was persecuted and bullied for being a mutant turn into the type that hunts them down and tries to torture them to find the genetic secrets to their powers. UNLESS... she was doing it all to make the ultimate mutant to take on humans and make them pay for the persecution. Hmmm.

Well, that's just my two cents. Figured I couldn't let you two have all the fun here.

Quicksilver's music. Unless he found a way to make music play as fast as he runs, the scene where is listening while doing his work would never have been possible. I know it's nit picking, but that really bothered me. He essentially did everything in the time span of less than a second, so he shouldn't have been able to even hear one note of his music. But anyway.

Wolverine was a bystander for the most part. He really didn't do much of anything of note. Had they not needed his healing powers to get someone that far back in time, he would have had no purpose.

Also, why did they need Magneto in the past? He pretty much went his own way almost as soon as they broke him out. He didn't really help them get back on their feet (or off of them in Charles' case). Wolvie's little speech seemed to be the turning point for Charles (so I guess they did need Wolverine for something), not anything Mags did or said.

And to answer your Professor X coming back question, that was answered after the credits in X3. He had supposedly transferred his mind into another body. Now while commentary on the DVD says that this other body happened to be a brain dead twin brother (that sounds even dumber as I typed it), it could be possible that it was just a random body and Charles is able to project his original look onto that body by messing with the minds of those around him. This could explain why his look in the future looks just like he did in the end of X3 before his body turned to dust.

On the Nightcrawler note, maybe the reason we didn't see him was because in that altered future he was never born. Azazel did indeed die, Mystique never had her baby boy, he never shows up in the future.

Wonder if we ended up with metal infused Wolverine, since it is Mystique that is taking him away at the end and not the actual Stryker. Unless they want to say that the whole Weapon X project was run by Mystique masquerading as Stryker the whole time, which would go against her character that she has portrayed throughout the other movies. I just don't see the one that was persecuted and bullied for being a mutant turn into the type that hunts them down and tries to torture them to find the genetic secrets to their powers. UNLESS... she was doing it all to make the ultimate mutant to take on humans and make them pay for the persecution. Hmmm.

Well, that's just my two cents. Figured I couldn't let you two have all the fun here.

I initially laughed (not the good kind) at the Jim Croce tune, but the sequence was just so damned cool.

I agree with you on both points of Wolvie and Mags. For Wolverine, it was like Back to the Future II, but as soon as he convinces Doc of who he is and the problem, Marty is given nothing to do. As for Magneto...i dunno...somebody's got to stir up some trouble, right?

Yeah, I remember Professor hijacking a comatose guy's body, but I wanted some explanation, no matter how brief, convoluted, outlandish for retaining his appearance. I felt he owed it to Wolverine and the audience for his questionable moral actions during X-3...of course, this movie just wants us to forget that entirely.

Nightcrawler...problem with him is that he's been mentioned to be appearing in the next installment.

Metal claws Wolverine/Mystique as Striker: Maybe she puts Wolvie thru Weapon X with hopes of using him as a blank slate ally? Or...Apocalypse is coming up. Perhaps he gives Wolvie his metal when he makes him a Horseman?

Glad someone else saw this one, and enjoyed it!

True, but people (including me) B*&^% when Wolvie gets over exposed so we can't complain here (and my fiance was not complaining about the OTHER kind of over exposure Wolverine got with the full-back nudity. Hide your women!). Wolvie had a purpose in this movie and he served it. There were plenty of other interesting characters that needed their screen time too.

As for Nighcrawler's birth...wasn't there a decent amount of time between First Class and DOFP? This one was set in the 70's, the last one was.....60's....something (sorry, I know that not recalling the year of the Cuban Missile Crisis makes me a bad American). Point is, there was time for a pregnancy.

I like the fact that this movie gives you so much to think about....

This guy fills his space quota for yahoo "news" by lamenting the fact that all the minority mutants are killed off first in DOFP.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/x-cluded-why-are-all-the-minority-x-men-left-out-in-87337159792.html

The writer fails to mention that whitey Iceman is holding the line with that same group and ends up just as dead. That doesn't fit the agenda, though.

And of course later in the movie fellow whities Colossus and Magneto go down too. So I guess he's b*&^%$%^ about the order they die in? Maybe?

This guy fills his space quota for yahoo "news" by lamenting the fact that all the minority mutants are killed off first in DOFP.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/x-cluded-why-are-all-the-minority-x-men-left-out-in-87337159792.html

The writer fails to mention that whitey Iceman is holding the line with that same group and ends up just as dead. That doesn't fit the agenda, though.

And of course later in the movie fellow whities Colossus and Magneto go down too. So I guess he's b*&^%$%^ about the order they die in? Maybe?

And just a small mention of Storm in the article. Her death got quite a deal more focus than some of the others...rightfully so, considering the character and attachment to the long-running franchise. But since Halle Berry's star has faded lighter than her skin color in recent years, that means nothing to the author.

Prominent gay and female actors in starring roles? Not good enough if they are all white. And where are all the transgendered mutants?!

And just a small mention of Storm in the article. Her death got quite a deal more focus than some of the others...rightfully so, considering the character and attachment to the long-running franchise. But since Halle Berry's star has faded lighter than her skin color in recent years, that means nothing to the author.

Prominent gay and female actors in starring roles? Not good enough if they are all white. And where are all the transgendered mutants?!

It just really takes me by surprise.

I'm sitting in the theater and my mind is on the product in front of me. In this case it's a variety of X-Men battling for their lives in a hopeless future. I'm focused on the story. A story which I think made pretty clear that many mutants (and humans that helped them!) were being killed off.

But it couldn't be just a coincidence of the script, could it? If you work for certain "news" agencies, a cigar is never just a cigar, and it's your job to dig and dig until you find some angle to play the card you want to play.

I think it's not too far fetch. Suppose Quicksilver pressed the fast forward button on his cassette? I'm not too bothered by it. Or maybe he just wants the head phones for noise cancellation.

As for Magneto, it was explained that they needed him to convince Mystique because at that point she's closer to Erik than Charles. And then came the movie twist and the past went to a darker path.

Well...that was a short ride...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/01/maleficent-knocks-x-men-days-of-future-past-from-the-top-of-the-box-office

Really people? Maleficent? 51% Fresh http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/maleficent_2014/...Can't wait to see Cruella Deville topple Avengers 3 in the not too distant future.

Weren't the live action 101 Dalimations and 102 Dalimations from the 1990's somewhat Cruella Deville focused(Been awhile since I've seen the live action 101)? FYI, I get you were joking around.

Well...that was a short ride...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/01/maleficent-knocks-x-men-days-of-future-past-from-the-top-of-the-box-office

Really people? Maleficent? 51% Fresh http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/maleficent_2014/...Can't wait to see Cruella Deville topple Avengers 3 in the not too distant future.

Weren't the live action 101 Dalimations and 102 Dalimations from the 1990's somewhat Cruella Deville focused(Been awhile since I've seen the live action 101)? FYI, I get you were joking around.

Yeah, but the difference is, whenever they revisit these stories now, the villains absolutely must have a sympathetic backstory. Explain the evil away.

I don't know why I haven't chimed in yet I saw opening weekend & it was super-cool.....loved Quicksilver, the guy played him just right.....the Croce scene is a favorite now....I'm glad they repaired all the damage all the other movies did as far as bringing Jean & Scott back....yes NightCrawler was missing but there's another movie & I'm glad most everyone came back to play their characters......even for brief cameo's.....I'm thinking about watching it again this weekend, my lady missed out & is wanting to see it too...

I'm glad most everyone came back to play their characters......even for brief cameo's.....

That might have been my favorite part of the movie. I'm off of work for a month right now, I may go back and see this one and Winter Soldier a second time.

• 3 weeks later...

Kelsy Grammar wants to play Beast again

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/kelsey-grammer-wants-return-future-x-men-films-194514918.html

and so do I!

Hey, they did a great job casting younger X-Men. But one of the best parts about DOFP was that it gave a green light to use all of the mainstays again. I want to see the core team together (fyi, my definition of "core team" is Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Beast, and give or take Rogue, Gambit, Shadowcat) and DOFP put those pieces in place.

But now with the next movie, Age of Apocalypse, they're poised to go back to the past again with the young cast. This time to the 80s!

I won't judge before I've seen it. They've done a good job in the last couple movies regardless of who they cast. It just seems that they put in all the effort to "fix" things...let's put it to good use!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just wanted to add to the spoilers & let you know that Wolverine lives in this medium of entertainment......

HA! You mean as opposed to the comics where he is "dead"?

Is there anyone anywhere that believes this for a second?

One of my regular reads is Nightcrawler. I can't keep up with the main X-books because there are too many and they cost too much. But Nightcrawler is a good substitute. One of the great X-Men characters, written by Claremont and sporting some great art. The latest issue was a "memorial" issue for Wolverine. Well written, well drawn. Unfortunately it left me completely hollow because there's not a chance that Nightcrawler (and everyone else) won't be "so relieved and happy" in about one year's time when this farce ends.

We've seen this story before.

I know We know most of the world knows.....Marvel is just "young & the restless" but w/spandex clad super-people......He's gonna come back prolly later than sooner....the title of his comeback comic will be "SpaceBalls 2 the search for more money"......I mean....Wolverine: Circle of never-ending profit.....

• 8 months later...