Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

My guess is... The Star Wars twinkling music...into the happy beginning trailer SW music(sorry, I don't know the soundtrack names)... The Bad Robot logo...Disney logo... Lucas Film logo... The Falcon flies by, dialog from other SW movies are played over a couple short scenes of the original cast..SUPER HAPPY SW MAIN INTRO THEME...Xwing battle... maybe some shots of new cast.. then some dark sithy music.. and a hooded cybernetic-handed dark character with sithy eyes... and then COMING CHRISTMAS 2015!!!

...well you're about 1 for 13 there :) And that's generous because I'm giving you "X-Wing battle" when technically they were just flying in the desert @xwing@

I tried finding the trailer early this morning when it wasn't up yet. Your above prediction describes just about every fan-made trailer on the internet.

Also...love how fast people work on the web these days:

1610853_10101477811625794_1310405569471537796_n.jpg?oh=3162904bad9dda5a62b10740139731c4&oe=550BB3FC&__gda__=1423413443_20a80b5a41bdb7347f6521f2c5f42ef5

10440955_10101477843791334_3393829304247783506_n.jpg?oh=65aaabcb31f134ab6c207299ba64ab64&oe=550ACB89&__gda__=1426549919_34e3c99dbe76b717d45c05b2a3428420

Not surprised by that at all. I expect frame-by-frame spoofing by day's end. All you need is computer skills, time, and a cutting wit. Most fanboys have at least two of those three things...:D

The "fanboy" dismissal already? You don't see any validity in the first picture?

1610853_10101477811625794_1310405569471537796_n.jpg?oh=3162904bad9dda5a62b10740139731c4&oe=550BB3FC&__gda__=1423413443_20a80b5a41bdb7347f6521f2c5f42ef5

10440955_10101477843791334_3393829304247783506_n.jpg?oh=65aaabcb31f134ab6c207299ba64ab64&oe=550ACB89&__gda__=1426549919_34e3c99dbe76b717d45c05b2a3428420

Not surprised by that at all. I expect frame-by-frame spoofing by day's end. All you need is computer skills, time, and a cutting wit. Most fanboys have at least two of those three things...:D

The "fanboy" dismissal already? You don't see any validity in the first picture?

Oops, sorry, was that your diagram...?

Yes, there is validity. Those two extra light prongs are a completely unnecessary addition to this classic fantasy weapon and if this was real life they could be cut off very easily. You are correct.

And if you let me play my "fanboy dismissal" card, I will let you play your "everything about this still sucks" card.

Oops, sorry, was that your diagram...?

Yes, there is validity. Those two extra light prongs are a completely unnecessary addition to this classic fantasy weapon and if this was real life they could be cut off very easily. You are correct.

And if you let me play my "fanboy dismissal" card, I will let you play your "everything about this still sucks" card.

So far, It does. "Episode 7:MOAR STAR WARS." I mean, I love X-wings, but it looks like a CGI fest. I love the millenium falcon, but that shot sucks. Lightsabers can be great in the right hands but...I want to love it so @##@@ bad that I want to wade thru the sea of basement dwellers again to get the best spot at a midnight showing and be justified in being dead tired at work the next day, so @##@@ bad that can finally burn my episode 1 sleeveless muscle shirt that I kept as a reminder to never get my hopes up again.

I thought it was awesome, the only thing that didn't fit to me was the rolling droid. The Speeder was a bit blocky and didn't really move realistically, but I don't know if she was slowing down and it was supposed to look like that or not. I'm assuming it'd work like a motorcycle and bank and move when turning, it just seemed a bit big and awkward. The concept of it looked awesome(but most do). I think the cool multi-engine ship from concept drawings is also in the background with the rolling droid. My sis-in-law dubbed it the Dyson Droid, lol.

I don't mind the stormtroopers and their changed look.. I'd assume, depending on what the story is, they would change in 30 years. I loved the scene when they're about to be deployed, can't wait to see that play out. The X-wing scene looked cool wasn't sure if that was water or desert... I'm thinking water because of the backdraft(or whatever it's called, the water shooting up)... The "sith" and the hilt, yeah, it looks cool, at first I was like some and that seemed silly, and like Feats pic up there, you can just slice off the metal part... BUT.. I'm assuming someone using it is adept in the force and would be able to parry your strike enough to actually use them the right way. It's no different than having a double sided blade, or swinging and twirling a blade around, you'd have to know how to use it to use it right.. so I'm okay with it. Finally the Millennium Falcon scene... I loved the new radar dish, it's going against TIEs.. so now one must ask what the hell is going on after Jedi... it intrigues me to see what they come up with.. I don't care about fancy camera shot, shaky cam and such.. I like them and I don't in certain films.. I didn't mind the scene here so I liked it.

Over all, it was pretty much what I expected. If you look at my "best guess"... yeah, I was off, but the basics of most teaser trailers... intro music.. someone talking.. flashes of scenes of characters, space battles/ships fighting... coming soon, lol.. I'm surprised the Bad Robot and Disney logo wasn't in it.

Can't wait for the real trailer now.. Super Bowl, Avengers 2, Ant Man.. I hope sooner than later, lol.

I was a bit disappointed not seeing any of the original cast in this. Makes me wonder if they play a tiny role in the film and hand it off to the new cast... hmm.

o @##@@ bad that can finally burn my episode 1 sleeveless muscle shirt that I kept as a reminder to never get my hopes up again.

Personally, my reminder to not get my hopes up is the episode 1 wave 1 of action figures all of which were bought before I saw the final product. They still stand "proudly" on their commtech chips in my parents' basement.

My hopes are not up either. I just don't have anything solid to base any negative comments on. Too much special effects in the 88 second teaser? Not any more than you would see in any other film of this genre in 2014 (and a less artificial feel than the prequels). Useless tweaking to a lightsaber? Yes, but so what. How many times has that weapon been tweaked in expanded universe stuff? That's what they do to the lightsabers.

This trailer exhibits the trademark sense of hyperactivity and urgency that Abrams Star Trek films tend to do, but that may not be a bad thing necessarily. George Lucas always wanted "faster and more intense". Looks like he finally got it. (lol)

I've just been a stickler for consistency in the Star Wars films...I've always felt they should all follow the "Star Wars" formula, sci-fi action infused with dramatic techno-babble and stilted dialogue, and they should all look the same in terms of cinematography, but the adventuresome intesity of a J.J. Abrams film may be what Star Wars as a franchise (Geeze, I hate that word...) needs to be relevant and exciting again.

And I'm not usually one to complain about CGI work in films, but...I felt like the CGI in this trailer looked a little fake or unpolished. I guess that makes sense due to the very nature of a trailer, but it didn't look finished to me.

I found the glimpses of Stormtroopers being dropped into a battle zone to be very exciting, even though they looked like they were in an Abrams Star Trek film, complete with lense flares and flashing strobe lights. It was still very cool-looking.

As for the Sith(?) character's new lightsaber hilt...it looks kinda cool, but if they were going for a medieval sword-hilt look, why didn't they just have the traditional t-prongs stuck on a lightsaber? It's still cool and interesting...

I'm assuming the cool voice-over was indeed Benedict Cumberbatch...I hope it turns out he is actually in the film. He would make an excellent Sith in my mind, or even a prominent Imperial officer for that matter.

All in all, I'm excited. I just don't want all of the characters acting like they took speed like in a traditional J.J. Abrams film. (lol)

o @##@@ bad that can finally burn my episode 1 sleeveless muscle shirt that I kept as a reminder to never get my hopes up again.

Personally, my reminder to not get my hopes up is the episode 1 wave 1 of action figures all of which were bought before I saw the final product. They still stand "proudly" on their commtech chips in my parents' basement.

My hopes are not up either. I just don't have anything solid to base any negative comments on. Too much special effects in the 88 second teaser? Not any more than you would see in any other film of this genre in 2014 (and a less artificial feel than the prequels). Useless tweaking to a lightsaber? Yes, but so what. How many times has that weapon been tweaked in expanded universe stuff? That's what they do to the lightsabers.

But they've been touting the return to practical effects since the beginning of the project. Straight from the horse's mouth, I was led to believe that this is not supposed to be like "any other film of this genre in 2014."

I might have missed this detail in a newsfeed, but are the Stormtrooper costumes real?

I guess the Stormtroopers are not clones anymore. I wonder if they're fighting for the "good guys" now the way they were in the prequels? I also kinda like the new look. How many military uniforms stay exactly the same after 30 years? This seem like a natural evolution of the look.

Y'know, now that I think of it...I do find it odd that even in Return of the Jedi we saw the next-gen TIE-Fighters in the form of the TIE-Interceptors, yet in the new trailer we see your basic TIE-Fighters still being used.

Y'know, now that I think of it...I do find it odd that even in Return of the Jedi we saw the next-gen TIE-Fighters in the form of the TIE-Interceptors, yet in the new trailer we see your basic TIE-Fighters still being used.

I didn't hit the slow-mo button on them but maybe there are minor tweaks to the TIEs the same as there are to the Xwings, I don't know....

It's also interesting (and probably good) that there is no sign of any of the Big Three in this teaser, even though I am curious about what they will look like. Maybe this is telling us that they're not going to be the crux of this new movie. Again, this is probably a good thing. I love them as much as anyone but if the series is going to go forward they need to introduce and get us to care about new characters.