Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

I am excited at the possibility, no matter how minute, of Luke Skywalker taking center stage again.

I highly doubt "center stage" because they have to get us hooked on the new characters going forward. But I will settle for "strong presence".

I am looking forward to the next Mutt Williams movie as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My main gripe with the whole thing is not the fact that there will be inevitable gay characters in Star Wars. It's because it's being done to bow to the current political/cultural climate. I climate in which, if your story does not include a certain group of people, the internet will call you out on it.

Look at the PC witch hunts that have happened after the release of every successful geek movie in recent years: "How many female cast members are there?" "Why can't you find action figures of her on the shelf?" "How come the female in the latest ___________ movie isn't empowered enough?" "Is this movie about a black superhero being directed by a black man?" "Why not?" "I see whitewashing!" And it's getting worse. I almost have the feeling that studios are walking on egg shells to avoid this whole thing and say and do the most PC thing at all times at all costs.

BUT...don't just hang this on Star Wars. Sure, there isn't a gay character in a Marvel or DC movie....yet. But mark my words, there will be. They've re-written the comics to include them, they're slowing down story lines on TV shows to say, "Hello? Gay character, here!" and the movies will follow suit.

There is no different standard for Star Wars. It may have started off that way, but it's not any more. Other movies have copied Star Wars (and indeed now SW is copying other movies) to the point where there's no difference anymore. This is one big juggernaut of a franchise just like the other big juggernaut franchises that have a half dozen new movies per year. When you find a geek franchise immune to this latest trend, you let me know.

When you find a geek franchise immune to this latest trend, you let me know.

I haven't seen any gay apes or humans in "Planet of the Apes" yet, but things could change.

Or maybe there are, but the stakes of the story's moment in time are too great to delve too deeply into sexual preference? WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!

(Insert Plinkett clip: "Stop wasting my time!")

Transformers? Maybe in unintentional subtext when not played for un-PC humor? Bay aims to offend, so I'm sure its coming soon.

My main gripe with the whole thing is not the fact that there will be inevitable gay characters in Star Wars.

Why not, that's my main gripe. To appease a part of the population that barely constitutes 2% OF the population, the overly permissive media has ruined Marriage, Comic Books, Superhero TV and now they're trying to ruin Star Wars to.

My main gripe with the whole thing is not the fact that there will be inevitable gay characters in Star Wars.

Why not, that's my main gripe. To appease a part of the population that barely constitutes 2% OF the population, the overly permissive media has ruined Marriage, Comic Books, Superhero TV and now they're trying to ruin Star Wars to.

What I mean by that is that I don't consider stories with gay characters to be bad by default. So I don't have a gripe with gay people or gay characters in general.

The way these studios are going about it and the fact that it has become so commonplace just smacks of pandering.

Darn it. Released three days after my birthday.

That seems like a pretty short wait. Not that I'm complaining. I'll buy my copy the day of!

I just mean I'm going to have to buy it myself instead of getting it as a gift.

GREAT (sarcasm) ARTICLE: Luke is gay:

http://news.yahoo.com/mark-hamill-says-luke-skywalker-143650512.html

That could lead to some interesting "Spotlight" #$## with the fall of Luke's new Jedi...molested padawans...Republic cover-ups...

Kylo?! OMG! Han and Leia paid off? It all makes sense!

(sarcasm...not all homosexuals are child molesters...but, cmon, the prequel Jedi were babyknapping weirdos)

Everyone is pointing the gay finger at Poe and Finn but yeah, Luke crossed my mind too and I knew it was a matter of time before the idea was thrown out there. I'm not getting too worked up about it. Everyone is going to fall into step and say all the right things about the issue ("Yeah, I'd have no problem with _________ being gay. Ya know we live in a society now where blablahblah PC blablablah equality blahblahblah acceptance blah blah"). They HAVE to say that or the negative press would go flying. Anyway, I'm tired of this topic. Comics or Star Wars, they're gonna do what they're gonna do and bow to what they're gonna bow to. I'll just leave it at this:

"Who is she? She's beautiful..."

I love Mark Hamill and I love Luke. But I imagine the conversation he had with Disney about the issue went something like this:

Disney- "The liberal media is probably going to ask you about the possibility of Luke being gay. When that happens, you tell them, 'Fine by me'. That way we dodge any backlash."

Then they hand him the $5 million check he got for an afternoon of location shooting on a beautiful hill in Scotland where he had to turn around and take his hood off while delivering no lines of dialogue. Man, I imagine he had to do that take three...maybe four times!

No, I bet Hamill has no problem with Luke being gay. I wouldn't either. I'd be too busy laughing all the way to the bank.

(OK, THAT'S my last word on the subject).

I'll just leave it at this:

"Who is she? She's beautiful..."

I always thought, "lets go... and don't forget the druids" had a funny lil lisp to it.

On the gay stuff: again, how important is any character's sexual preference to the moment in time that is being shared with the audience? Particularly in kiddie Sci-Fi escapism? Reminds me of all those bogus acting class assignment about creating your character outside what is on the page...@##@@ method busywork.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got done watching all the special features on my blu-ray (I love watching how creatures and other behind the scenes stuff gets done). A couple things of note:

George Lucas' screen time was all of, "So one day I decided to sell Star Wars. I let Kathy Kennedy take over". That's it. I guess it's good that they didn't get into the seller's remorse aspect of George's decision. We're all here to have a good time, after all.

On more than one occasion I heard commentary along the lines of, "The only way to shoot this movie is to shoot it on FILM" and "We wanted to build it practically unless there was no other choice". I wonder if that was a shot at any particular movie(s)?

I thought Ford did a commendable job of keeping his contempt for Solo not being killed off sooner in check. He sat through his interviews like a champ and I appreciate it (again, we're all here to have a good time :) ). The wife didn't know Ford has an ear ring in real life....now she think's he's gay.

I got a kick out of seeing all the creatures being built. Some of the guys that I figure were all CG were actually hand made. That's SW!

Deleted scenes: I was this close to getting that Snowspeeder vehicle but I think it not being "in the movie" held me back. Well, it IS in the movie, just cut out. I bought it on clearance at WM this past weekend.

I thought there was going to be a scene wit Chewie pulling a guy's arm off...didn't see it though. Disappointing.

Fun stuff!

I got done watching all the special features on my blu-ray (I love watching how creatures and other behind the scenes stuff gets done). A couple things of note:

On more than one occasion I heard commentary along the lines of, "The only way to shoot this movie is to shoot it on FILM" and "We wanted to build it practically unless there was no other choice". I wonder if that was a shot at any particular movie(s)?

I know it was taking at shot at the Prequels, but why do it? If it wasn't for the Prequels and Lucas pushing the technology we'd still have crappy CGI, most movies that are made today wouldn't have got made (Lord of the Rings, Any Marvel movie) and movies would for the most part all still be between 90 and 120 minutes long.

I know it was taking at shot at the Prequels, but why do it? If it wasn't for the Prequels and Lucas pushing the technology we'd still have crappy CGI, most movies that are made today wouldn't have got made (Lord of the Rings, Any Marvel movie) and movies would for the most part all still be between 90 and 120 minutes long.

Because even if something good came of it as you claim, the prequels still leaned on the CGI as a crutch. LOTR and Marvel did not.

Deleted scenes: I was this close to getting that Snowspeeder vehicle but I think it not being "in the movie" held me back. Well, it IS in the movie, just cut out. I bought it on clearance at WM this past weekend.

I have seen it but passed too.I wish my Walmart had it on clearance

Don't let this get to ya too much. This is a manufactured story cooked up by the media. They've made the rounds asking multiple people involved in TFA the same question: "Hey John Boyega, is it possible Finn is gay?", "Hey Oscar Issac, is it possible Poe is gay?", "Hey Mark Hamill, is it possible Luke is gay?", "Hey JJ Abrams, is it possible there will be a gay character in Star Wars?". It's almost as if the media has an agenda. Look for the same question to be asked of Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, and Nein Nunb soon!

And the responses are all the same, "Yeah, sure it's possible and I think it would be a great idea. Ya know we live in a world now where blah blah blah....tolerance blah blah blah....acceptance blah blah.....". And that's the answer they HAVE to give. We've all seen what happens to people who dare to be anything less that 100% supportive of this stuff. If social media gets wind of it, it's all over for you.

I have seen it but passed too.I wish my Walmart had it on clearance

Grab one and scan it. I took mine from the regular stock shelf, no clearance tag, still rang up $20.

I just wanna add two things: "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" and "Fury Road."

YES!! I agree whole-heartedly my friend...two excellent examples of incredible technical achievements in movie-making when the parties involved don't take the easy way out...

Y'know feat...for years, in the scene in "Darby O'Gill" where Darby's telling the story in the pub about how he had actually caught the King of the Leprechauns, and in the flashback sequence, you see Darby standing over the king as he's cornered in a little nook of the castle and he asks for his three wishes...I always thought that was some kind of cut-away/green-screen trick or something, to make the king look so small and Darby so large, when in actuality they're both on set, just placed at different distances from the camera in a technique called forced-perspective, and the set is actually painted and arranged in such a way that it all looks perfectly real. Peter Jackson utilized the same technique in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films in certain scenes, and it's amazing when film-makers go out of their way to try practical shots like that to make something look completely real and believable instead of lazily injecting some fake CGI element.