Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

I'm wondering: Assuming Leia and Han are still together and assuming Leia's a Jedi (as has been implied), does that mean they're throwing out the idea of Jedi can't have romances?

I wouldn't mind that. I think "no romance" is what made a lot of the prequel Jedi (read: ALL of the prequel Jedi) come off as stoic, Alec Guinness copies with the same personalities. I hope Luke and Leia don't morph into that, I want them to have their own personalities.

I thought one of the big (almost confirmed) rumors was that Han and Leia arent together.

Ah you're right, I seem to remember that too, now that you point that out. Of course, this was also rumored to be titled "A New Dawn" and Chewbacca was rumored to have a robo arm....so who knows.

I was reading that Abrams confirmed that the lightsaber we see in the teaser footage is the one that got lost with Luke's hand....someone up and found it. He also said the reason he did this film was to explore the question of "who is Luke Skywalker" which gives me hope that old Luke will not be another Qui-Gon, Mace, prequel Yoda, et. all type of Jedi.

And ya know, now that I write that thing about Luke's lightsaber, it makes me recall when one of the actors said something to the tune of "everything hinges on lightsabers" in this movie. Maybe he wasn't referring to an all out lightsaber orgy like we got in AOTC. Maybe this ONE lightsaber is treated as some sort of important artifact, maybe there's something special about it that we don't know about that's meaningful to the overall story. Hmmmm....that could be neat....

Y'know, something's been bugging me about Kylo Ren, and I think Belmont may have alluded to it in his comment...

From the very beginning, I found this character to be very interesting, from his aggressive mannerisms in the trailers, to his intriguing lightsaber design. I just felt like he was a character I would enjoy watching. However, in some of the pre-production art, after not getting a very good look at his face-mask in the teaser trailers, I suddenly thought, "Is that Darth Revan?!" On one hand, I thought it would be really cool had they used a Sith character from the Expanded Universe, despite the fact that most of it was retconned in the wake of the Disney acquisition of the Star Wars universe. Also, to think it might be an ancient character to boot made the notion wildly entertaining to me. However, there also was a small part of me that was disappointed to think that Abrams and Co. would take the lazy way out and shoehorn an existing character into the new films, when I was interested in seeing an all-new, all-original Sith character. And indeed, the concept art for Kylo Ren seemed to sport the mask, cloak, and red and black colors of Revan. Even in that second teaser trailer, where we get a better look at his mask, it also looked like there were some red highlights, but I couldn't be sure if that was simply a combination of all of the red blasts, fire, and lightsaber reflections paired with my mind's-eye perhaps filling-in the gaps so to speak, making me think I saw the Darth Revan colors since he already looked so much like him to begin with. It's just that there's been this supposition in the back of my mind making me think I could very well be seeing Darth Revan all this time, which in turn perhaps made me a tiny bit indifferent to the character and the hype that might be building behind him...

Inversely, if Kylo Ren turns out to simply be a Sith upstart-wannabe, who's simply strong in the Dark Side that worships Vader as the second teaser trailer might imply, then I might be more interested. I've even warmed-up more to his design after seeing the new six-inch Black Series figure and realizing that there's no red on him anywhere, that he's in all black with some slight silver or chrome highlights, like a true and proper Sith/Vader acolyte. I just wonder if the six-inch figure's mask comes off...

• 2 months later...

I'll post this here to try to keep all this TFA news contained: How about that new trailer?

https://youtu.be/sGbxmsDFVnE

Pretty intense. I'm really wondering about Kylo Ren and what his motivation is. Loved seeing more of Han, Chewie, and Leia. Using that score from ESB gave me the goosebumps (that doesn't happen too often). Still no sign of Luke. Is it possible they will keep him under wraps until the movie is shown? Is that even possible in this day and age? If they do pull that off....props to them. Looking forward to this!

• Like 1

I'll post this here to try to keep all this TFA news contained: How about that new trailer?

Pretty intense. I'm really wondering about Kylo Ren and what his motivation is. Loved seeing more of Han, Chewie, and Leia. Using that score from ESB gave me the goosebumps (that doesn't happen too often). Still no sign of Luke. Is it possible they will keep him under wraps until the movie is shown? Is that even possible in this day and age? If they do pull that off....props to them. Looking forward to this!

I"m assuming the cloaked figure with robotic looking right hand kneeling next to R2 at 1:40 is Luke, but still between this and him not appearing in the official poster makes me wonder in what capacity he will be used.

Han Solo is the true believer/mentor character? Well...he's as good as dead.

They talk of what happened in the OT as myth and legend...can't wait for all the "canon" garbage (Novels, Comics, Cartoons, Video Games) to explain away that mystique at a much faster rate than they did with the originals. It will happen pretty much concurrently. $$$

Even with an overabundance of CGI, the trailer was pretty exciting.

My brother and I caught the trailer separately and both came away with the same notion about both Luke's absence from posters, trailers, toys. etc. and Kylo Ren's motivations. Like maybe they are one and the same? It's not like Luke didn't already come close to going "Dark Side" already.

Think about it.

My brother and I caught the trailer separately and both came away with the same notion about both Luke's absence from posters, trailers, toys. etc. and Kylo Ren's motivations. Like maybe they are one and the same? It's not like Luke didn't already come close to going "Dark Side" already.

Think about it.

I thought about that but they already cast a completely different guy as Ren...apparently?

Han Solo is the true believer/mentor character? Well...he's as good as dead.

"I've flown from one end of this galaxy to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff but I've never seen anything that will make me believe there is one all powerful force controlling everything."

"It's true. All of it. The dark side, the Jedi. They're real."

Yep, this character has come full circle. Han's death is about the only thing I'm willing to speculate on. Even there I'm only about 80% sure....

Think about it.

I thought about that but they already cast a completely different guy as Ren...apparently?

True, but it does sound like something Abrams would pull right?

Think about it.

It does. And again, props to them if it works in surprising us.

i cant wait to see this!!! it's easy to speculate and it will be hard to ignore the trailors until december, but hopefully i can go in to the movie without seeing any others.

this is going to break some records for sure, lets hope the story is good.

Think about it.

It does. And again, props to them if it works in surprising us.

I thought the trailer last night was great! The story seems pretty interesting and the action scenes were awesome.

But where's Luke? My son and I were discussing this and we also came up with the idea that Luke might be Kylo Ren, even though there is an actor assigned to each role. They could be doing an adaptation of the "Dark Empire" storyline.

But the fact that so many of us seem to be coming up with this idea makes me suspect J.J. Abrams is just playing with us hoping to keep us guessing and interested in the movie. Which of course it does...lol.

I just hope the movie is as good as the trailer(s) suggest...can't wait!

I'm still planning for my self-imposed internet black out. Probably late November but no later than early December. It's the only way to be sure to avoid spoilers. Once some internet "news" source gets an honest to God spoiler (not speculation, but real fact about the movie), they wont put it in the article for you to choose whether or not to read, they'll just put it right in the headline.

Besides that, this trailer is making me rethink keeping my Ep 7 toys closed until I see the movie. Kylo Ren is begging to come out. I may have to go rewatch Episode I to put me back in my place.

Han coming full circle and dying is almost a certainty. Him as a "believer" makes for good story telling, Him dying adds significant dramatic tension.

Luke is *NOT* Kylo. Luke is gonna be like ANH Obi Wan and/or Yoda in this flick, the reclusive mystical mentor.

I'd bet money on the main characters being connected, siblings/cousins/young playmates something like that.

Luke is *NOT* Kylo. Luke is gonna be like ANH Obi Wan and/or Yoda in this flick, the reclusive mystical mentor.

That's what they tried to make every Jedi in the prequels. What we got was a couple of actors and a bunch of CGI characters doing Alec Guinness light. That is the one thing I hope Luke is NOT in this movie and if I had to guess, I'm betting he won't be. They wouldn't put so much secrecy into something we've seen before.

I'm not certain he is Kylo either. Everyone and their mother is jumping on that theory...