Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

What is the "essence" of Star Wars?

Farm boy comes of age and confronts his destiny against the backdrop of galaxy hopping adventure.

Everything else is just filler and neat action figures. I'm not saying all of that filler sucks,some is good and some not so good.

What is the "essence" of Star Wars?

Farm boy comes of age and confronts his destiny against the backdrop of galaxy hopping adventure.

Everything else is just filler and neat action figures. I'm not saying all of that filler sucks,some is good and some not so good.

So Star Wars is the story of Luke Skywalker, as it was originally intended in the original movies? If the new movies choose anyone else as the main focus, it is filler, or just a second generation copy?

If the new movies choose anyone else as the main focus, it is filler, or just a second generation copy?

I think it will be a story that builds off the original just like the hundred that have came before. And like those hundreds it may be good or it may not.

But to me, the essence of star wars will probably always be exactly what I stated. That simple (and entertaining) story free of the merchandising and hype that have piled onto it over the years.

JJ wants to *give* you a part in Star Wars 7, poses with a creature from the Dark Crystal:

You know what's encouraging about that "Dark Crystal" muppet? The fact that it IS a muppet and not a CGI.

I've said it before that I think Abrams is a child of the OT and at the very least you can look for the look and the feel of the OT to be maintained. Of course there will be 21 st century FX put to use, but I'm guessing not to the extreme of taking a half dozen actors and dropping them into a computer the way the prequels did.

You know what's encouraging about that "Dark Crystal" muppet? The fact that it IS a muppet and not a CGI.

Yes, but....Aside from the face that it looks like a Muppet, I think that the creature is a lil too clean in design and execution to fit with the original SW aesthetic, which is the magic they are trying to recapture, right?

And second, if this desert planet is Tatooine, Im not terribly excited about a species we havent seen before being there. I mean, Tatooine has been in 5/6 of the movies. First Lucas adds a slew of new aliens retroactively to the planet in the prequels, which was just stupid, and now this, which just seems unnecessary. Just the use of this planet smacks of lack of imagination to me...that they feel like its such SW iconic imagery that they couldnt resist...and so they feel the need to pepper it up with things that some have forgotten we've seen before:

Junk.jpg

RIP Jim Henson...you are missed.

I think that the creature is a lil too clean in design and execution to fit with the original SW aesthetic

And second, if this desert planet is Tatooine, Im not terribly excited about a species we havent seen before being there.

Well with that first point, you're getting into personal taste, which is always going to differ from person to person. I'm just glad they haven't forgotten about the puppets. Yoda from ESB and ROTJ will always feel more real than the polished,jumping cartoon from the prequels.

I'm afraid I don't get that second point. You got your cantina in A New Hope and Jabba's thugs in ROTJ....the planet has always been populated weird critters of every shape and size. From day one.

Regardless, this little guy will probably sneak in for 5 seconds of screen time and still receive his own $12, 3 3/4" action figure (yep, I'm betting they're all $12 by the time this movie hits).

The first of infinity leaked photos from the set.

http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=243&itemid=15449

Liking that big creature chilling in the desert. Again, if this were a prequel we'd see an "insert cartoon character here" green screen with that fellow to be added later in post production. This feels more like the OT to me.

I'm trying to keep clear of most of the VII hype, but I still pop in on these forums every now and then. I have to agree in some ways with YoJoebro82. There's a LOT to do with marketability in these movies. There's a lot to do with marketing in the hype. It doesn't matter how bad the movies are, or even how good they are. Because in the end everyone will end up seeing them, everyone will want all the figures and other merchandise, and everyone will then gripe and moan about how they got taken in by the hype. It happened with the prequels. No matter how much someone complained online, I kept seeing again and again "Well I did go and see it finally, and I was RIGHT! It sucked!" The movie companies don't care that you were right, they got your money!

It all comes down to MOICHENDISING (to steal from Mel Brooks in Spaceballs) and he was RIGHT! That's what it is, that's what it comes down to with Star Wars. It's a multi-BILLION dollar empire built over 30+ years!

Now I am NOT complaining about this merchandising empire. I've done very well so far selling the figures and other collectibles. It's helped me to break even within months of opening my shop.

And I'm not gonna complain about the merchandising machine of Ep VII because I know that it'll do the same for me as the Black Series and other figures are doing for me now.

And I'll take my son to see the movies, because I wasn't able to see any but the "special editions" in the theatre. And only ESB at that. He's REALLY into Star Wars now, so I'm living vicariously through him as he experiences these movies and the hype himself for the first time.

PS: I do like the cast tho!

It all comes down to MOICHENDISING (to steal from Mel Brooks in Spaceballs) and he was RIGHT! That's what it is, that's what it comes down to with Star Wars. It's a multi-BILLION dollar empire built over 30+ years!

That's another reason I hope this desert planet doesn't turn out to be Tatooine again. I feel like we've seen all the "new" that needs to be seen from this place. New alien species, droids, monsters...just smacks of a merchandising move. "We want it to be the same as the original SW...except they already have all the toys from those 10 times over. What else can we cram in there?"

sw-7-26-480w.jpg

jabbas-palace-gate.jpg

Wonder if the McQuarrie estate gets anything from this kinda stuff? probably not...one time deal. If only he knew a completely different company and production crew would be mining his old/passed over work

Xwing looks interesting... looks updated, snubbier nose? That'd make sense though. If they're in charge(I'm assuming), then they can afford new stuff instead of older worn out vehicles.