Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

I'm wondering if Luke mirroring Obi-Wan is too poetic, or maybe it's his destiny...

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were both killed in the first movie of both trilogies, and both mentors to Jedi padawans

Actually, I believe Empire is the only movie where a 1st/2nd string character wasn't killed on-screen?

The Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon, Darth Maul

Attack of the Clones: Shmi Skywalker, Jango Fett,

Revenge of the Sith: Count Dooku, General Grievous, Seperatists, Padme', Mace & Order 66, 'Anakin Skywalker'

A New Hope: Owen & Beru Lars, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, Grand Moff Tarkin

The Empire Strikes Back:

Return of the Jedi: Boba Fett, Jabba, Yoda, Darth Vader, Emperor

Well I fear you're going to get a little bit of "poetry" with Luke in the movie. He's going to train the newer generation of Jedi just like Obi Wan. How could he not??? The alternative is he refuses to train them for some dumb reason and is portrayed as some grumpy duche which--of course--would make people mad as well. Making this:

Perhaps he saw the flaws, dangers, and failures of the Jedi past(yes, this would force fan and franchise alike to not only admit the mess made of the Jedi in the prequels, but actually press on to rectify, instead of ignoring) compounded with the (naïve) feeling that they may be unnecessary risks in a time of peace, and so rests on his laurels/ hangs up the lightsaber/lives a perfectly content life? Of course, a new threat would emerge, and Luke would have to take up the mantle again. This might seem like a formulaic movie cliché as well (think the gunslinger returns, or Rocky sequels come to mind, complete with training montage!), but it beats "passing the torch" any day.

He wouldn't have to be a grumpy douche, just a rusty, reluctant hero. Again, another sequel formula, but not self referential "poetry" and more in tune with the borrowed "poetry" from other films and genres akin to what Lucas did with the originals. And most importantly, it gives the character of Luke (as well as Hamill) somewhere to go, with room to breath and grow, rather than sticking him in the background.

Of course, this scenario (less Jedi) probably means less high-choreo lightsaber balderdash, and less lightsabers in general...which would piss "fans" off even more than Luke being some "grumpy douche."

I'm wondering if Luke mirroring Obi-Wan is too poetic, or maybe it's his destiny...

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were both killed in the first movie of both trilogies, and both mentors to Jedi padawans

Actually, I believe Empire is the only movie where a 1st/2nd string character wasn't killed on-screen?

The Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon, Darth Maul

Attack of the Clones: Shmi Skywalker, Jango Fett,

Revenge of the Sith: Count Dooku, General Grievous, Seperatists, Padme', Mace & Order 66, 'Anakin Skywalker'

A New Hope: Owen & Beru Lars, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, Grand Moff Tarkin

The Empire Strikes Back:

Return of the Jedi: Boba Fett, Jabba, Yoda, Darth Vader, Emperor

and the funny thing is ....it is the best movie of the whole saga

I'm all for that, feat. I always liked the idea of the older hero coming back out of retirement so to speak to give it one last go. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comes to mind as the best example, but I also think of Rambo, KOTCS (although Indiana Jones never actually retired), and Clint Eastwood's character in Unforgiven. Maybe it's just me getting older, or there's just something very fascinating about an old warrior that still has a little fire left in their belly, but I love the scenario of the "old guy" giving it one more shot. It would lend a little more dignity to the original characters than a "passing-of-the-torch" film would.

Well I fear you're going to get a little bit of "poetry" with Luke in the movie. He's going to train the newer generation of Jedi just like Obi Wan. How could he not??? The alternative is he refuses to train them for some dumb reason and is portrayed as some grumpy duche which--of course--would make people mad as well. Making this:

Perhaps he saw the flaws, dangers, and failures of the Jedi past(yes, this would force fan and franchise alike to not only admit the mess made of the Jedi in the prequels, but actually press on to rectify, instead of ignoring) compounded with the (naïve) feeling that they may be unnecessary risks in a time of peace, and so rests on his laurels/ hangs up the lightsaber/lives a perfectly content life? Of course, a new threat would emerge, and Luke would have to take up the mantle again. This might seem like a formulaic movie cliché as well (think the gunslinger returns, or Rocky sequels come to mind, complete with training montage!), but it beats "passing the torch" any day.

He wouldn't have to be a grumpy douche, just a rusty, reluctant hero. Again, another sequel formula, but not self referential "poetry" and more in tune with the borrowed "poetry" from other films and genres akin to what Lucas did with the originals. And most importantly, it gives the character of Luke (as well as Hamill) somewhere to go, with room to breath and grow, rather than sticking him in the background.

Of course, this scenario (less Jedi) probably means less high-choreo lightsaber balderdash, and less lightsabers in general...which would piss "fans" off even more than Luke being some "grumpy douche."

That's a good idea...

I'm all for that, feat. I always liked the idea of the older hero coming back out of retirement so to speak to give it one last go. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comes to mind as the best example, but I also think of Rambo, KOTCS (although Indiana Jones never actually retired), and Clint Eastwood's character in Unforgiven. Maybe it's just me getting older, or there's just something very fascinating about an old warrior that still has a little fire left in their belly, but I love the scenario of the "old guy" giving it one more shot. It would lend a little more dignity to the original characters than a "passing-of-the-torch" film would.

Unforgiven was definitely in my mind in thinking that up. Western legends in general...something about the lone figure in the distance, almost forgotten except in the memories of a few, returning when we need him most...and always, always riding off in the end. DIGNITY...you said it, brother. That must be stressed or there's no reason to bring back the old characters.

And again, I cant stress this enough, more Jedi are unnessesary. Unless the gap in which we last saw Luke in ROTJ became riddled with a sea of Sith or he's so old that he feels the need to pass on what he knows to just one other person, there would have been no reason for him to train an entirely new Jedi order. Im not saying that this new trilogy couldnt be the start of new Jedi, but it should never become be so cluttered with new characters (read:Jedi) from the start that it becomes unclear what these movies should be, what all sane Star Wars fans have wanted since 1983:the continuing adventures of Luke Skywalker.

Well, I once read an interview with Mark Hamill where he was asked about the character post ROTJ he said that he after the fall of the Empire he saw Luke becoming a sort of hermit figure not unlike Obi Wan, he wouldn't fall in love or get married he would just become a sort of loner and then he made a joke about being married to the hottie Mara Jade in the books. I gotta say I like the idea of Luke being a reluctant old hero, it would fit the character in that time period: he has seen the consequences of abusing the force and the dark side, his robotic hand is a constant reminder of what happens when he rushes in without thinking and not being prepared so I can see an older,wiser Luke taking himself out of things and just "retiring".

what about Luke turning to the Dark side? as is seen in the Dark Horse comics...

as for the old reluctant hero motif... I love it. Clint Eastwood does it in a ton of his movies.. and it works every time

• 3 weeks later...

Harrison Ford Talks Star Wars On Letterman

I suffered through the first part of Letterman, just in case something was said. I couldn't tell if Harrison was sick of answering the question, trying to make a joke (about the prequels), or implying he hasn't been 'officially' asked? @hmmm@

Update:I'm not expecting any actual answers from Harrison Ford any time soon, blast those NDA's, lol

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-watch-harrison-ford-evasively-respond-to-new-film-queries/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...