Sign in to follow this  
carrowsboy

Toyfair 2014 announces Super Powers

Is the Super Powers theme line a Matty Collector Exclusive, or will it be in retail? At any rate, it's not a bad concept. I'm sure there are people who wanted Super Powers verisons of Supes(Both light blue, and the Gold Superman which I don't think ever actually got released in the orginial Super Powers line), Batman(Though I think the TRU Exclusive Azrel 2 pack had a light shade of blue than this 1. Course that could be lighting), Wonder Woman with blue braclets, and Riddler who is a repaint of Hal GL(Scott did state that the Riddler will be in Spanish type packaging to further the homage). I think the repainted Kalibak is cool. I do agree with everyone thought that Mr. Mxylpltz should be a different price point. Maybe even take that money and use it to give fans a verison with a bit more articulation. Oh heck, people already are saying Mr. Mxylipltz is a pack in(Since he was suppose to have come with that light blue Superman in the Matty Signature Series), why not make him more like a Super Powers theme Accessory pack, with Mr. Mzylipltz as the main draw, and include stuff like Kryptonite, Batarangs and other Bat-gear, a mini Atom, and some other DCU theme accessories.

But it does seem to me more gear towards MOC collectors due to the special packaging, which has been 1 of the things I tend to notice with some of the really collectiable stuff from Mattel for their collector lines. Kind of makes me wonder if they tone down some of the collectable packaging, if the product would be cheaper.

Seeing this Batman, does conferm to me that Mattel at some point or other, knew they were going to release a Super Powers/1980's-1990's style Batman, which is why they did the similar looking Batman in the Azreal 2 pack with a scratch on his chest, knowing full well that collectors will consider to buy the figure again just to have a clean chest with no scratches.

Is the Super Powers theme line a Matty Collector Exclusive, or will it be in retail? At any rate, it's not a bad concept. I'm sure there are people who wanted Super Powers verisons of Supes(Both light blue, and the Gold Superman which I don't think ever actually got released in the orginial Super Powers line), Batman(Though I think the TRU Exclusive Azrel 2 pack had a light shade of blue than this 1. Course that could be lighting), Wonder Woman with blue braclets, and Riddler who is a repaint of Hal GL(Scott did state that the Riddler will be in Spanish type packaging to further the homage). I think the repainted Kalibak is cool. I do agree with everyone thought that Mr. Mxylpltz should be a different price point. Maybe even take that money and use it to give fans a verison with a bit more articulation. Oh heck, people already are saying Mr. Mxylipltz is a pack in(Since he was suppose to have come with that light blue Superman in the Matty Signature Series), why not make him more like a Super Powers theme Accessory pack, with Mr. Mzylipltz as the main draw, and include stuff like Kryptonite, Batarangs and other Bat-gear, a mini Atom, and some other DCU theme accessories.

But it does seem to me more gear towards MOC collectors due to the special packaging, which has been 1 of the things I tend to notice with some of the really collectiable stuff from Mattel for their collector lines. Kind of makes me wonder if they tone down some of the collectable packaging, if the product would be cheaper.

Seeing this Batman, does conferm to me that Mattel at some point or other, knew they were going to release a Super Powers/1980's-1990's style Batman, which is why they did the similar looking Batman in the Azreal 2 pack with a scratch on his chest, knowing full well that collectors will consider to buy the figure again just to have a clean chest with no scratches.

Don't read to much into it. This is just an excuse for Matty to milk as much money as they possibly can out of DCUC one last time while doing as little as humanly possible to earn it.

They are just trying to jump on the retro market bandwagon, starting with going the cheapest route possible... REPAINTS! Mattel is so friggin cheap. If they really want this last incarnation of their DCU figures to be awesome, they would have done some of the original Super Powers prototype characters that never made it, like Man-Bat, Supergirl, Quadrex, etc. No... just more tooling reuse with different paint and packaging.

I hope another toy company creates a continuation of the Super Powers line with REAL retro figures, in the tradition of RE Action figures or Zica's Six MIllion Dollar Man figures. They can get the original tooling and make a Gold Superman too.

Did they even take a poll as to what the fans would like to see in a Super Powers set? Instead of a repaint of Superman and GL I would have much rather have Lex Luther in his power suit or Robin or Aquaman, Cyborg or a proper Green Lantern or even a re-release of the Wonder Twins. Darkside would have been amazing in the Super Powers packaging but I know they are price cutting. Sadly, this could have been so much more since they already have the Super Powers bases for sale :(

I find it funny you guys are complaining of repaints when 90% of what Mattel does is repaints, lol.

Even if that were true, Mattel has managed to hide their repaints better than they are with this glaring rip-off.

Did they even take a poll as to what the fans would like to see in a Super Powers set? Instead of a repaint of Superman and GL I would have much rather have Lex Luther in his power suit or Robin or Aquaman, Cyborg or a proper Green Lantern or even a re-release of the Wonder Twins. Darkside would have been amazing in the Super Powers packaging but I know they are price cutting. Sadly, this could have been so much more since they already have the Super Powers bases for sale :(

I personally would've loved a rerelease of the Super Powers version of Doctor Fate. That wave was one of, if not the, hardest DCUC waves to find. It certainly would've made more since than a glorified pack-in and a lame homage to a foreign knock-off.

I find it funny you guys are complaining of repaints when 90% of what Mattel does is repaints, lol.

It's not the repaints we're complaining about. As a matter of fact, if you go back and reread our posts, you'd realize most of us, myself included, would buy at least two or three of these under better circumstances. But charging more for a repaint than they did for newly tooled figures was just ridiculous.