New Fantastic Four movie

featofstrength

I don't mind the reboot at all, so far. Even if it is different from what we are accustomed too, it might still be good. For all we know, this movies' version of the Fantastic Four could be an alternate reality version. Even if it isn't, those of you who hate the movie can pretend it is an alternate universe anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reed Richards...superpower: optical illusion

ffreedrichardsbiography.jpg

yeah, that's a horible description. if that were the case, they should have hired chris angel to play him, lol.

And now the guy playing Johnny Storm has alienated the fans with his little outburst. If there was any chance that people were going to see it,he just blew it.

Cut the poor guy some slack. Do them right, and superheroes movies are box office gold. Do them wrong, and they can be career killers. Matt Salinger, Klinton Spilsbury, now Michael B. Jordan. The guy signed up for the wrong movie and he knows it. He's lashing out.

And now the guy playing Johnny Storm has alienated the fans with his little outburst. If there was any chance that people were going to see it,he just blew it.

i dont think what he said was bad.

"This is a family movie about four friends—two of whom are myself and Kate Mara as my adopted sister—who are brought together by a series of unfortunate events to create unity and a team. That’s the message of the movie…To the trolls on the Internet, I want to say: Get your head out of the computer…this is the world we live in."

it felt honest and the way the film is written, it could work. he's just playing a role he tried out for. it's not like he was the brainchild behind the change. if i were in his shoes, i'd probably be frusterated with the internet rants too.

initially i wasnt thrilled about the whole new F4 plans, but after recently seeing the preview, it looks like it will be a lot better than what we got the first time. the thing looked awesome! and johnny will be an orange ball of fire most of the time any way, so does it really matter what his skin color is? who knows, maybe the guy who plays johnny will get casted as captain america...wait that already happened, lol

I couldn't care what he said either way. There are fans out there who will be butt hurt by what he said and not go. The question is;how many and will it affect how much it makes?

That IS a good question. Jordan's little tantrum could easily alienate half the audience . . . that's gotta be 3, 4, maybe 5 people right there. @hmmm@

I wouldn't exactly label that a "tantrum".

no, neither do i and we as fans have to admit that there are quite a few whacked out fans out there amongst us. i think i got over the "why is hollywood F'ing with my childhood!" after the first transformers. now i just take everything they put out with an open mind and a grain of salt. sometimes i find myself enjoying what they did (Dark Knight and Spiderman, Gardians of the Galaxy), other times i see it as a steaming pile of dung (Ang Lee Hulk, Affleck's Dare Devil, & first two Silver Surfer movies).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you read this, please remember that this writer works for an online company and is not necessarily required to know when to use "then" and "than" when submitting his work. Regardless, I hear a lot of the reviews are along these lines:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/06/review-fantastic-four-is-a-tragic-chore-2/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

I still fully expect a forced sequel or an X-Men crossover of some sort. Maybe both.

If you read this, please remember that this writer works for an online company and is not necessarily required to know when to use "then" and "than" when submitting his work. Regardless, I hear a lot of the reviews are along these lines:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/06/review-fantastic-four-is-a-tragic-chore-2/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

I still fully expect a forced sequel or an X-Men crossover of some sort. Maybe both.

lots more to tally, but it makes you wonder if an Adam Sandler movie will come out on top in the end. Ouch.

Also...

There isnt a bulldozer in the world big enough to shovel the #$## in this old article now:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/josh-trank-star-wars-spinoff-exit-1201512969/

Ignorant people are blaming "superhero fatigue" for the failure of FF... It has nothing to do with that... The movie is garbage...

Probably. Then again, so was Guardians of the Galaxy. How many people are calling that the greatest comic book movie ever? I've given up on figuring out how John Q. Public decides what's a hit and what's a flop. I just know it has very little to do with quality.

I can't get behind blanket statements that blame Fox for everything. Clearly they don't get Fantastic Four, but the X-Men have been hit and miss. Darned if I'm not completely excited for X-Men Apocalypse. It all comes down to who you have creating the movie, I think.

Still...I'm now hearing this new FF discussed in the same sentence as Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Electra, Catwoman, and Batman and Robin, Ugh. Reason enough to stay away.

I can't get behind blanket statements that blame Fox for everything.

I can, easily, when it comes to making superhero movies Fox sucks, 3 FF movies and they still can't get it right, I won't even comment on the X-men movies at this point those are a lost cause.

I can't get behind blanket statements that blame Fox for everything. Clearly they don't get Fantastic Four, but the X-Men have been hit and miss. Darned if I'm not completely excited for X-Men Apocalypse. It all comes down to who you have creating the movie, I think.

Still...I'm now hearing this new FF discussed in the same sentence as Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Electra, Catwoman, and Batman and Robin, Ugh. Reason enough to stay away.

I don't have any illusions about FF's quality, but anyone who can condemn that movie while singing the praises of the crap-fest that is Guardians of the Galaxy is just plain nuts.

Say anything you want about Fox, but from now till the end of time Disney will be the geniuses that came up with "Dance-Off!"

• 11 months later...

Okay...so I finally got around to seeing this movie for free on xfinity last night; I'm a sucker for bad movies, and I wanted to see for myself what all the negativity was about. I blame my strong sense of morbid curiosity for things like this... (lol)

I have to admit, and maybe I'll take alot of flak for this, but...I didn't think it was half bad really. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting surprisingly, based on all of the fanboy comments I've read. Of course it was no blockbuster by any means, and visually not what I imagine FF to look like as a superhero team (the original movies did a better job of that, although this was an origin movie after all, and perhaps definitive, more traditional costumes would have come about in a proposed sequel, but, I digress...), however I actually enjoyed it alot more than I was expecting, especially since I was expecting Marvel's cinematic equivalent of Batman and Robin, to be perfectly honest. (lol) There was a nice pacing about how the characters came together, who they were, why they were together, and there was a nice, even tempo to the story...no over-the-top characterizations, no cheesy dialogue, and no cliches or predictable trappings that typically signal a flop. To me there was a semi-believable feeling of quasi-science that wouldn't quite hold up against real scientific research, but it seemed possible because of how the characters behaved and all of the expository build-up, just like some of the old original, far-out Marvel comics from the Sixties. I actually enjoyed this movie, much to my surprise.

I liked Franklin Storm. I didn't know what to make of him in the trailers, but in the film itself, he comes across as a fatherly cross between Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson's Fury.

Michael B. Jordan (I didn't even know who he was before seeing this film) was a pleasant surprise as Johnny storm. I don't necessarily like changing the race or gender of an established character just for the sake of creating a false sense of politically correctness, or some studio's idea of pandering to inclusiveness just to appeal to sensibilities or demographics...it just feels disingenuous or gimmicky, but I felt like Jordan played a really good Johnny Storm. Sue Storm was...okay. She wasn't awful per se, but not very memorable, either. She was like an even-more-wooden version of Jessica Alba's take, which is really saying something. (lol) But she came across as a nice character, so she's okay...

I loved how they animated Ben Grimm, although he really should have been provided with some pants or shorts or something after that first year working for the military. (lol) And that brings me to another point I liked...it made sense to me that the government/military would try to control these people and capitalize on their respective powers. And how cool was it that Reed Richards could physically alter his appeance with his powers as a disguise. That was a cool idea I don't think I've ever associated with his powers before.

Doom...initially I loved this character. He was portrayed well, and (SPOILER ALERT!!!) his accident and subsequent abandonment on "Planet Zero" made sense for his disposition as the villain, and I loved how dangerous he was when they returned there and brought him back, and he had all of those unpredictable, seemingly unstoppable powers...how he (SECOND SPOILER ALERT!!!) took out the security guards and soldiers at Area 57 was so cool and creepy, which brings me to another aspect I enjoyed about this film...

The whole incident on Planet Zero that created everyone's powers and the subsequent scenes that followed were so creepy and cool, like those old sci-fi/horror comics where new fantastic powers weren't exactly welcomed or celebrated, but the opposite occurred, where the characters were initially horrified by there new physical conditions. And it was all traced back to (THIRD SPOILER ALERT!!!) Reed Richards' decision to secretly visit Planet Zero without permission, which in turn placed all of them in danger when he wanted to stay longer there than they agreed to and explore, which of course led to Doom's accident. That was an interesting notion, that some of the characters blamed their new dispositions on Richards, which I understand Wizard Magazine used to joke about Doom blaming Reed Richards for everything in Twisted Mego Theater, and that's what kept running through my mind when I saw this in the movie. "It's all Richards' fault!! RICHARDS!!" (lol) Sue never seems to blame him for anything, and neither does Johnny Storm, but one could argue they weren't horribly disfigured like Ben Grimm or Doom...

And there was what I perceived as a tiny easter egg in the scene when the government returned to Planet Zero...one of the scientists was holding some detection instrument, and it sounded just like the thing they used in the Star Trek films when scanning for life forms (I can't remember if it was in the second film for sure, but I do remember it was in the third one) It was just a cool little addition that only Star Trek nerds like me would get or pick up on. (lol)

The only thing I think I would have liked to see developed more was (FOURTH SPOILER!!!) Doom's plans to destroy Earth in order to ensure the survival of his world (Planet Zero). I understand he would resent Reed Richards for having a semi-romantic connection with his beloved ex Sue, and of course one could make an argument for him being indirectly responsible for what happened to him. Plus, perhaps his physical transformation may have included a psychotic element that led to his derangement, but I felt like it wasn't fleshed-out enough. After all, when we as the audience can somewhat identify even a little with the villain, or at least understand their motivations, it makes their take-down much more interesting. The final battle was somewhat entertaining for me, showcasing everyone's individual powers, it just wasn't on the level of the end of the first Avengers movie.

At the very end, I liked how they all kind fell into place as a self-contained team that had some leverage with the government/military...since they pretty-much saved the world, they could dictate what they wanted, how they wanted to operate, etc. And that made alot of sense to me as they morphed into a superhero team. And (FIFTH SPOILER ALERT!!!) they didn't call it the "Baxter Building" at the end, but they show this remote, heavily guarded facility that seems to have all the latest, cutting-edge scientific equipment and facilities that one would expect Reed Richards and Co. to have access to in future stories...that will never come. (lol)

Bottom line, I enjoyed this movie a whole lot more than I was expecting to. It wasn't blockbuster material by no means, but it was good, like Superman Returns or the RoboCop remake...not great, but good, and personally pretty enjoyable for me. I was just a little flabbergasted after watching it and wondered why it was derided and dismissed to the seemingly extreme extent that it was. It didn't blow my mind, but it wasn't the abomination alot of people made it out to be.