New Fantastic Four movie

featofstrength

It does however have one of the most incompetent, unforgiveable scenes in just about any movie ever made. Seeing Alicia Masters being sprayed with knockout gas FROM HER POINT OF VIEW! Argh! @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@

I've actually seen this a few times over the years and really like it. Of course I have an affinity for these micro-budget superhero extravaganzas.

Same here. There's a lot of heart that shines beyond the lack of budget in this one.

For me the winning clincher is the casting of C-list Actor Jay Underwood.....he was the king of after school specials & movies involving young folks during the late 80s....He was my favorite Robot Kid next to the real-life cyborg Vicki in "Small Wonder"....he was also the "Boy Who Could Fly" or "The boy who was stalking his next door neighbor by creepily staring at her from his roof".....one can only wonder after he flew off did he forget that the air in the upper atmosphere is freezing & thin so the reason Kevin Arnold never saw him again was because "the Boy" was either shot down by our Air Force or he ran out of breath & fell to earth, I like to think that the flight scenes in the Marvel Movie "Iron Man" were an homage to Jay's demise & disappearance.....funny how his alcoholic uncle never put out an missing persons report.....he just sobered up & joined the world.....kind of makes him a jerk cause he didn't want to take care of his Autistic nephew......either way the saddest part of "the boy who could fly" was when Fred Savage loses his GI Joes.....I also had the wise-as$ idea of burying my joes & making a dirt pool for my joes & star wars figs.....many good plastic men & robots gave their lives that day.....as I type this I know where a few of my guys are buried to this day.....

I've actually seen this a few times over the years and really like it. Of course I have an affinity for these micro-budget superhero extravaganzas.

Same here. There's a lot of heart that shines beyond the lack of budget in this one.

For me the winning clincher is the casting of C-list Actor Jay Underwood.....he was the king of after school specials & movies involving young folks during the late 80s....He was my favorite Robot Kid next to the real-life cyborg Vicki in "Small Wonder"....he was also the "Boy Who Could Fly" or "The boy who was stalking his next door neighbor by creepily staring at her from his roof".....one can only wonder after he flew off did he forget that the air in the upper atmosphere is freezing & thin so the reason Kevin Arnold never saw him again was because "the Boy" was either shot down by our Air Force or he ran out of breath & fell to earth, I like to think that the flight scenes in the Marvel Movie "Iron Man" were an homage to Jay's demise & disappearance.....funny how his alcoholic uncle never put out an missing persons report.....he just sobered up & joined the world.....kind of makes him a jerk cause he didn't want to take care of his Autistic nephew......either way the saddest part of "the boy who could fly" was when Fred Savage loses his GI Joes.....I also had the wise-as$ idea of burying my joes & making a dirt pool for my joes & star wars figs.....many good plastic men & robots gave their lives that day.....as I type this I know where a few of my guys are buried to this day.....

Let's not forget Joseph Culp as Dr. Doom. He also starred in my all-time favorite Sci-Fi Channel movie, "Assault on Dome 4" (aka "Chase Moran"). You get Bruce Campbell started on his least favorite projects, nine times out of ten he'll bring up this one. Personally I consider it the best example of Sci-Fi's "Die-Hard Knock-Off" period of the 90's.

Plus, you know, the female lead was seriously hot.

I have very vague memories of The Boy Who Could Fly! He was lining up his GI Joes on the window cill naming them off one by one, right? Then Duke "died" and he buried him? Then didn't they go out into the purring rain and try to dig him up?

Yeah, I buried my GI Joes too when I needed to have a funeral for one of them. I THINK I eventually dug them all up before we moved out....but I can't be sure...

• 4 weeks later...

about 8 months to go...still nary a whisper about promoting this movie.

Promoting? They only just got a composer. That's like ordering the rings the day before the wedding.

I have a sneaking suspicion Fox isn't gonna sink one more cent into this future mainstay of the Walmart "5-Dollar" bin than they absolutely have to.

I have a sneaking suspicion Fox isn't gonna sink one more cent into this future mainstay of the Walmart "5-Dollar" bin than they have to.

Hey, some of those $5 movies still hold up.

I thought I just read a headline that said they already have a sequel date...I didn't care enough to read the actual article so don't quote me on that.

I still wonder half the time if half the stuff we've heard about this movie is just the studio trolling us/using deliberate misinformation. Because I sit here and think "Surely no one can look at what Marvel and WB and even YOUR OWN STUDIO with First Class and Days of Future Past are doing and think that making something like this with a nobody cast and vastly different origins is a good idea." (Whatever deficiencies First Class and DoFP have had in regards to continuity are, at least for me, polished out by having some of the best casts in ANY Superhero movie...especially DoFP).

It makes me cringe that after this movie comes out, Julian McMahon may well be considered "The Good Dr. Doom."

Expect a lot of internet articles about "Why can't Hollywood get Doctor Doom right?" once this movie comes out.

I mean, I get why he was changed in the old FF movies. Folks gotta remember that prior to the Marvel Cinematic Universe really getting going (And "Thor" specifically), comic-book movies were generally very leery about veering into "Too crazy/comic-booky" territory. Which generally meant no (or very few) aliens, no "magic" and no crazy cosmic stuff. This was both a factor of budget as much as suspension of disbelief concerns, but it was pretty much "standard operating procedure." Heck, it's the same reason we didn't get an "accurate" Summers brother origin or Phoenix saga (because it relies so much on the Shi'ar and space-stuff).

So trying to get audiences to swallow the "Gypsy Superscientist Sorcerer Dictator in Power Armor" would have been a bit much for audiences to swallow back then.

Nowdays, though? We live in a world where Guardians of the Galaxy was the highest grossing movie of the last year. Where Thor and Asgard have become regular features in the MCU. Where comic book movies and TV shows in general are finally starting to EMBRACE the "comic-booky" elements rather than cut them out so stuff's more "real." I think you could do a MUCH closer to "authentic" Doom now and people wouldn't have a problem. Yeah, maybe you could leave out the "Sorcerer" part. But the rest? That'd seem tame compared to "Otherdimensional Deities" or "Talking Raccoon with a Rocket Launcher and his sentient tree buddy."

Promoting? They only just got a composer. That's like ordering the rings the day before the wedding.

I have a sneaking suspicion Fox isn't gonna sink one more cent into this future mainstay of the Walmart "5-Dollar" bin than they absolutely have to.

Well, a lot of folks have been sinking money into Josh Trank, despite his dinky imdb listing. Anyone actually see "Chronicle?"

Found footage? Ugh.

Well, a lot of folks have been sinking money into Josh Trank, despite his dinky imdb listing. Anyone actually see "Chronicle?"

Found footage? Ugh.

I know a lot of people hate the whole "found footage" subgenre. I'm not a fan of it, either.

But I have seen Chronicle, and it is actually pretty damn good as "found footage" stuff goes. Though it also blurs the line between "found footage" and "regular movie."

I actually think Josh Trank has talent. I don't know that his sensibilities are right for a Fantastic Four movie, though, even a "scaled back" one. But basically I get the impression Fox hired him for this job because he showed that he knew how to stretch a budget on Chronicle.

I do think there is a very slim chance that this actually turns out far better than anyone is expecting, but as I said...very slim. It just seems like such an odd duck when Fox is starting to show that they "get it" with the X-Men franchise and their treatment of it, that they'd treat Fantastic Four so tremendously in completely the opposite way. It really feels like nothing more than a "make some shlock so we can keep the rights." Which sucks, when they made a "keep the rights" movie with First Class and it turned out pretty good (and then improved on it with DoFP), so it's not like they're incapable.

It makes me cringe that after this movie comes out, Julian McMahon may well be considered "The Good Dr. Doom."

I think you could do a MUCH closer to "authentic" Doom now and people wouldn't have a problem.

I rarely get worked up about casting choices of any kind because when it comes to super hero movies, whether it's a big name or a no name, I can think of very little circumstances where they've got the casting completely wrong.

Doom, however, is the exception. They (the original FF movie) blew it with him. I've said it before that this character should not be a hard sell. He's visually cool, he lives in a castle and rules over a town, he tinkers with machines and magic to defeat Reed Richards. If whoever is doing an FF movie just takes that and embraces it instead of trying to pull off some lame twist or update, I honestly think they'll be half way to a decent FF movie.

But they want him to be a blogger....

I will agree that after this new movie, the McMahon version just might be the "good" one. Which is very disturbing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Teaser has landed:

F4_TEASER_ONESHEET-720x1003.jpg

"From the studio that brought you X-men: Days of Future Past"

Curious, but this looks like the "Man of Steel" of Fantastic Four films...cold and joyless with a hefty bit of pretension, perhaps? I know, it's just a teaser, but even the logo is cold. I dont expect Thing to 9/11 Doom back and forth thru buildings, but I want them to show some heart before I buy in.

• 2 weeks later...