TOYSRUS Exclusive X-Men Boxset...

Nguyen_Dragon

TB Phoenix, Ms. Marvel, and Storm all all perfectly good female figures. I also like the Rogue but knowing everyone's deep, deep hatred for the head sculpt, I'm not going to try to convince anyone to agree with me.

At the same time, I think Hasbro's Jean Grey is a great figure too. Like I say, there's give and take with both companies.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TB Phoenix, Ms. Marvel, and Storm all all perfectly good female figures. I also like the Rogue but knowing everyone's deep, deep hatred for the head sculpt, I'm not going to try to convince anyone to agree with me.

At the same time, I think Hasbro's Jean Grey is a great figure too. Like I say, there's give and take with both companies.

Toybiz's Phoenix, Ms.Marvel, and Storm are some of the best female figures ever. Kitty Pryde, Mystique, Psylocke, and Spiderwoman are pretty good too

but then you get uggos like Elektra, Rogue, Black Widow, and Scarlet Witch.

but even those aren't as bad as Hasbro's Emma Frost, movie-verse Phoenix, and Rachel Summers (Hasbro's first few years were terrible).

I like Hasbro's new figures, but they aren't GREAT. They don't wow me like Toybiz used to do with each new wave. Hasbro can't put the attention to detail into their figures like Toybiz did. Sure, they are more sturdy, but they really lack paint and they don't do anything crazy like Toybiz did.. I mean all of their figures are pretty standard, and they won't do figures that take alot of effort to do (I mean Thor and Ghost Rider are the only figures they have done that took alot of tooling to make)

I am curious to hear which Hasbro figures from the past few years have been blowing Toybiz away

Just about all of them really. But if you want specifics . . .

Avengers Movie Hulk

Spider-Man Legends Black Cat

Spider-Man Legends Movie Spider-Man

Wolverine Legends Wolverine

Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, and The Thing from the FF line a couple of years ago.

. . . but that's just part of my short list.

see, I hate that Hulk figure. Black Cat is pretty badass.. Spiderman looks good, but he isn't any better than Toybiz's best Spidey. I like the Wolverine figure, but he doesn't have a proper mold to be Wolvie (too big).

Doom, Surfer, and the Thing don't stand out to me as anything special at all

Its the molds themselves. So many TB molds have wonky proportions. Hasbro is much better at that. And least we forgot that the first Hasbro Emma is actually a TB mold... all of those first 2 waves were. @loll@

Pretty much almost any figure released since Hasbro brought back ML are better than TB. NOt the original but the return label stuff and some 2 pack stuff too. To each their own though. I love a lot of TB like Phoenix (that is the only female mold that holds up), Gambit LR Logan with a swapped out head. Just to name a few.

Draven

I never said they were special (especially when compared with most of Hasbro's more recent stuff), I was just saying they're improvements over their ToyBiz counterparts.

See, I own the Toy Biz Doom, Thing, and Silver Surfer and I have no problem with any of them. I have no desire to replace them.

I never said they were special (especially when compared with most of Hasbro's more recent stuff), I was just saying they're improvements over their ToyBiz counterparts.

See, I own the Toy Biz Doom, Thing, and Silver Surfer and I have no problem with any of them. I have no desire to replace them.

yeah.. I don't agree that those figures are improvements. Thing looks like a cheesepuff. He really needed some paint apps pretty badly.

Its the molds themselves. So many TB molds have wonky proportions. Hasbro is much better at that. And least we forgot that the first Hasbro Emma is actually a TB mold... all of those first 2 waves were. @loll@

Pretty much almost any figure released since Hasbro brought back ML are better than TB. NOt the original but the return label stuff and some 2 pack stuff too. To each their own though. I love a lot of TB like Phoenix (that is the only female mold that holds up), Gambit LR Logan with a swapped out head. Just to name a few.

Draven

The first two waves of Hasbro stuff definitely built off of Toybiz molds... and it's not the molds that are the problem, it's the terribly paint (or lack of) and the new heads that they did. Anyone remember the initial prototypes for guys like Quicksilver, he looked amazing.. then Hasbro completely redid the headsculpts for those lines and didn't apply any paint. They would have been perfectly fine if not for that.

and I don't agree at all about the figures released since the "Return of Marvel Legends" being better than Toybiz or having better proportions.

Wave 1 -

Steve Rogers is WAY too tall and has a GIANT head.

Klaw pretty hard, really lame sculpt.

Ironman is TINY.

Constrictor is the dumbed-down Toybiz Bullseye mold (seemingly warped or something after Hasbro got it)

Terrax has baby arms.

Thor is like 8 feet tall.

Wave 2 -

Thunderball/Piledriver are still mostly Toybiz parts.

Is Fantomex Toybiz?

FF Spiderman is Toybiz

Wave 3 -

Punisher uses Toybiz parts

Ironman is too small

etc etc

the only new sculpting Hasbro has done that I can applaud is for the new female bodies and the new bucks used for UsAgent and Archangel, and the one for Hyperion/Sentry. But they still have to remember to paint their figures

Draven

The first two waves of Hasbro stuff definitely built off of Toybiz molds... and it's not the molds that are the problem, it's the terribly paint (or lack of) and the new heads that they did. Anyone remember the initial prototypes for guys like Quicksilver, he looked amazing.. then Hasbro completely redid the headsculpts for those lines and didn't apply any paint. They would have been perfectly fine if not for that.

and I don't agree at all about the figures released since the "Return of Marvel Legends" being better than Toybiz or having better proportions.

Wave 1 -

Steve Rogers is WAY too tall and has a GIANT head.

Klaw pretty hard, really lame sculpt.

Ironman is TINY.

Constrictor is the dumbed-down Toybiz Bullseye mold (seemingly warped or something after Hasbro got it)

Terrax has baby arms.

Wave 2 -

Is Fantomex Toybiz?

FF Spiderman is Toybiz

Wave 3 -

Punisher uses Toybiz parts

Ironman is too small

etc etc

the only new sculpting Hasbro has done that I can applaud is for the new female bodies and the new bucks used for UsAgent and Archangel, and the one for Hyperion/Sentry. But they still have to remember to paint their figures

If you don't mind, I clarified some of the parts used on the list you provided.

Wave 1 -

Steve Rogers is WAY too tall and has a GIANT head. - TB FO Punisher body

Klaw pretty hard, really lame sculpt. - Hasbro Silver Surfer body

Ironman is TINY.

Terrax has baby arms.

Wave 2 -

Is Fantomex Toybiz? - Hasbro Ultimate Wolverine body with Hasbro Ultimate Nick Fury Jacket

FF Spiderman is Toybiz - Constrictor body (modified TB Bullseye buck) with modified ball jointed ankles and wrists

Wave 3 -

Punisher uses Toybiz parts - Doesn't use Toybiz parts. Uses HASBRO Ult. Nick Fury body

Ironman is too small

Draven

I disagree. The headsculpts other than maybe Emma Frost (I remember reading that her headsculpt was ruined from the initial prototype to the casting) were ruined by Hasbro - though Warworld Hulk seems to have gotten his head ruined during casting as well since his left? cheek has a hole in it. The rest are all TB even Quicksilver. The released version looks worse since the skin isn't painted and Hasbro used a glossy flesh tone plastic. If you have the QS head repainted by a professional prototype artist, you'll end up with a QS looking like the prototype. None of the headsculpts were redone - it would had been silly if they were since not only it would cost Hasbro thousands, it wasn't necessarily.

Ever since TB taken over, the Marvel Legends figures have less paint applications. As have stated earlier, it is very apparent in the early Hasbro line. It's less apparent in the later waves, but that is because Hasbro now uses better colored plastics and apply paint on a lot of the characters' faces. Still, the majority of the figures no longer have that airbrushed highlighted effect that virtually all TB figures have. Other than the needed uniform decorations and the head for some HML figures, they are missing large area of paint apps on them like a whole leg. Comparing the Toybiz Silver Surfer with the Hasbro ones, the former has paint from head-to-toe with a silver basecoat and blue highlights. Another example are the Doctor Doom figures. All the TB versions have painted unmasked heads. The bodies have airbrush hilgihts and washes. The Hasbro figures have flesh tone unmasked heads with a minimal dry brushing on the first released of the figure while a brown washed head on the 2nd released. The washed apps makes the figure stand out more for the better. As for the bodies, the first version has no highlight effects what-so-ever while the second one has minimal highlight effects. The other difference is the color of the plastic, the first version, like all of HML early waves, is made out of shiny, bright plastic. The 2nd release is made out of dull, mute plastic, making it more on par with the TB figure. Regardless, the TB Doom figures have a lot more paint apps than the two HML Dooms.

But having a lot of paint apps meant that Toybiz had to sacrifice the plastic quality. The TB figures were made of cheap plastic that were very rubbery - this was very noticeable in the later waves. Hasbro, other than using glossy plastic flesh tones on their early figures, uses a more superior quality of plastic. This make sense since Hasbro owns their own factories and therefore can control the consistency of their figure's plastic quality and paint quality(not having sloppy paint jobs). Toybiz on the other hand, had to rely on third party factories, which meant they probably had to jump from factory to factory with each wave, so plastic quality and application of paint (quality) between waves were inconsistent. From how I see things, Toybiz chose paint apps over plastic quality while Hasbro chose plastic quality. Having both plastic quality and a lot of paint application is very expensive, hence why neither TB nor Hasbro chose both. Now that I think about it, a lot of smaller toy companies chose quantity of paint apps over plastic quality - they probably had because the toys they were making were aimed for adult collectors, which meant less toy regulations (drop test) restrictions (sharp objects). Toybiz was also a smaller toy company despite owning Marvel - they probably had less regulations than Hasbro.

I am curious to hear which Hasbro figures from the past few years have been blowing Toybiz away

Just about all of them really. But if you want specifics . . .

Avengers Movie Hulk

Spider-Man Legends Black Cat

Spider-Man Legends Movie Spider-Man

Wolverine Legends Wolverine

Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, and The Thing from the FF line a couple of years ago.

. . . but that's just part of my short list.

see, I hate that Hulk figure. Black Cat is pretty badass.. Spiderman looks good, but he isn't any better than Toybiz's best Spidey. I like the Wolverine figure, but he doesn't have a proper mold to be Wolvie (too big).

You probably like the Wolverine figure because it is essentially a retooled Toybiz figure with a new head, lower arms, and legs. The legs make the figure too tall. One thing to note is that Hasbro uses most of the sculptors who made the tb figs. The only ones they do not use are thee 4hm for obvious reasons

i kind of like this box set. imo, all the sculpts, with the exception of iceman, are pretty nice. iceman looks really odd to me. i dont care for the sculpt at all and i would prefer more of a white figure than translucent.

one thing that i prefer for sure in the hasbro vs toybiz is the fact all of my hasbro figures have held up firm joints and such. about 40% or more of my toybiz fiures have gotten all floppy on me or some of the joints were jammed up to begin with. all three of the leader figures i have, the shoulder joints cant move up or down. they are stuck so he is in a T pose. i have four captain britain figures, three have jammed up shoulder joints that wont go all the way to their sides. they only go down about 3/4 of the way.

I really liked the X-Men: First Class comics. Set in the 60s, early Marvel universe, the students actually acting like kids. It was great fun.

Sorry to hear the comics of the kids in the modern era are not so great.

Still love the idea of this boxset. Really like the original X-Men.

But I'm not big on repaints and redecos. It's a thing w/ me. I just don't want any 2 characters on the same body unless they are identical twins.

That's the nice thing about the ToyBiz MLs - unique sculpts (often).

The SMC Mysterio for example - not perfect, flawed for sure, but on a unique sculpt made for him and only for him. Every inch full of sculpted detail for his costume and only for his costume.

I love that. I kinda can't have it any other way.

ToyBiz experimented. New ways of doing articulation. New sculpts. New ideas. Advanced paint apps. Sometimes they flopped. But sometimes they made a figure so perfect and so stunning and so unique, it can't be topped.

Hasbro is more consistent, especially in production, which they've always been good at, owning their own factories. And they've made some great pieces too, just fewer unique figures that appeal to me.

As for the comic book that yojoe mentioned, I still read it. A big reason why Beast brought the younger X-Men to the present is because he's dying from his unstable mutation - he and his younger creates an antidote to his unstable mutation, which causes the older version to mutate again.

I think the series is used as a vehicle by Marvel to introduce large arches that crosses over to different comic series. The first one was The Battle of The Atom series where The New Brotherhood led by Xavier's evil grandson goes to the past in order to convince the younger X-men to go back to the past, preventing an alternate, peaceful future where president Dazzler dies from an alien invasion during her election speech.

The events of this series resulted in Kitty Pride joining old Cyclops' team to lead the young X-men and Storm's daughter from the future joining Wolverine's team. Now the series is with the Guardians of Galaxy called the "The Trial of Jean Grey." I haven't read it yet, but it appears to be about Jean Grey being on trial for the crimes that modern Jean Grey did when she was Phoeenix. I think it's about time since I found the whole cyclops killing Xavier while being under the influenced by The Phoenix and being blamed for it by the Acengers and the hypocritical, sociopathic Wolverine hypocritical.

One thing I like about the Hasbro figures is that they are starting to become consistent with specific character head sculpts. Regardless of big head, the Steve Roger sculpt is used for the various Captain America figures since the SR figure.

Toybiz rarely went this route. On top of my head, the Silver Centurion Ironman shared the same head as the wave one IM and the face-off CA's masked face was a retooled of the unmasked one.

if there is one thing I absolutely hate in comics... it's time travel. it becomes such a big frickin mess and is just a way for untalented writers to retcon things

I disagree. The headsculpts other than maybe Emma Frost (I remember reading that her headsculpt was ruined from the initial prototype to the casting) were ruined by Hasbro - though Warworld Hulk seems to have gotten his head ruined during casting as well since his left? cheek has a hole in it. The rest are all TB even Quicksilver. The released version looks worse since the skin isn't painted and Hasbro used a glossy flesh tone plastic. If you have the QS head repainted by a professional prototype artist, you'll end up with a QS looking like the prototype. None of the headsculpts were redone - it would had been silly if they were since not only it would cost Hasbro thousands, it wasn't necessarily.

I guess you are right about the warping.. because the prototypes we were shown didn't make it to production looking the same.

We didn't get this Quicksilver

IMG_2233__scaled_800.jpg

we got this one

DSCN0086_2__scaled_800.jpg

notice how the mouth and nose look very different. The overall shape of the face is different too, with the released version having a pointy chin and less of a jaw line.

Saw this set today at TRU.....I came to the conclusion I could live w/out it.....I need some colors in my Squad.....they were fairly drab & ordinary...at least they all fit in the same design together but...other than that it was a pass

Saw this set today at TRU.....I came to the conclusion I could live w/out it.....I need some colors in my Squad.....they were fairly drab & ordinary...at least they all fit in the same design together but...other than that it was a pass

Its a pass for me as well... I will consider if it goes on clearance for around $50...

it won't go down to clearance for years... and by then, they will all be damage from sitting there so long.

I might pick it up if they have a sale or I get a coupon or whatever

• 4 weeks later...

Well I picked the set up...and kind of regret it. Some of the figures are nice, but they all have shoddy paint. Also...I just don't get the logic in giving Beast, the acrobat with literal super agility, the LEAST amount of articulation. The fact that his wrists and forearms can't move whatsoever is a travesty. Same with the pack of articulation in Angel's wings. But lastly, now I understand this isn't officially 1st appearance X-Men. But it essentially is. So...that's why Iceman isn't in his 1st appearance look. I get it. But the others are exactly as how they appeared...so my question is: what are the odds that we'll get a solo 1st appearance Iceman in his more snowman with boots look later? I'm thinking, sadly, negative.

I looked at this set for a long time in the store before deciding to leave it on the shelf. At first glace it looks great but I think I agree with what everyone else is saying. The reviews I've seen online didn't sway me to pick it up either.

No-boots Iceman, an Angel with non-articulated "back pack" wings, a supposedly teenage Cyclops that's just as buff as his adult action figure counterpart...I think that's what buggs me most. These are TEENAGERS. Sculpt them that way!

I think you can actually make the case for the pre-ML Toy Biz set over this one. I just pulled mine out last night, I think they're pretty cool.

I looked at this set for a long time in the store before deciding to leave it on the shelf. At first glace it looks great but I think I agree with what everyone else is saying. The reviews I've seen online didn't sway me to pick it up either.

No-boots Iceman, an Angel with non-articulated "back pack" wings, a supposedly teenage Cyclops that's just as buff as his adult action figure counterpart...I think that's what buggs me most. These are TEENAGERS. Sculpt them that way!

I think you can actually make the case for the pre-ML Toy Biz set over this one. I just pulled mine out last night, I think they're pretty cool.

I also debated on this set but it just seemed like they really rushed through it....it's a shame too w/a little better craftsmanship & articulation I prolly woulda bit on this set....I'm sure well see X-factor colors in these guys by SDCC-time....