Could the Nolan continuity work in the new Superman/Batman movie?

yojoebro82

I'm rewatchig the Nolan Batamns (great stuff, IMO) but a couple of story choices in Dark Knight Rises make it tough for them to be thought of as anything more than a stand alone Batman story. That's fine by me but I also like franchises to reboot as little as possible. Particularly when they're relatively new and don't have any major blunders. I thought of three story elements in DKR that would need to be dealt with if they were to attach Nolan's Bat-movie continuity to the upcoming Superman/Batman movie and beyond. One I would explain away, one I would take and incorporate into the story, and one I would sweep under the rug (kind of).

1. Bruce Wayne is declared dead and "retired": This I would explain away. Aliens showing up on our planet is a game changer for Bruce. He sees what happened to Metropolis and decides he needs to be home to make sure the same doesn't happen to Gotham--as Batman. Alfred (who really, really didn't want Bruce to be Batman anymore in DKR) understands his decision and supports it. So he kind of does a 180 (I would let the writers hash out that part). As for being declared dead, well, he was declared dead in Batman Begins too. So someone in the movie can deliver the obligatory, "Bruce Wayne? But you're dead!?" line and receive the obligatory response, "Sorry to disappoint".

2. Wayne Manor is now a boy's home: This I would take and run with. It would work and make sense in a lot of ways. It would work because Bruce operates out of the cave most of the time anyway. It can be locked off to a bunch of kids easily enough. He has a huge mansion that goes mostly untouched so why not take it and use it to help kids who needed help the way he did when his parents died? This will also set up a good reason for would-be Robins to be hanging around, to snoop in places they shouldn't, and become Batman's sidekick. Speaking of....

3. Blake is "Robin" (or Nightwing? or New Batman?): This I would sweep under the rug (sort of). I'm OK with Nolan's handling of this in his stand-alone story. A NOD to the idea of a sidekick for Batman, a Robin. It's as much a part of the mythos as the millionaire secret identity or the Joker. But I don't know how it works going forward to future stories. I would have Blake be off the radar. We don't know where he is or what he's up to. We can assume he's out there fighting injustice one way or another. I really want to see the Dick Grayson origin on screen, done right. So now they can do that (some day) and when it comes time for Batman to name his new sidekick, he thinks back to another citizen he fought along side once to protect Gotham...Robin. How did Batman know Blake's real name was Robin? He's Batman. He knows. Plus, since the Manor is now a boy's home, there's a practical reason for Dick to be there when his parents die!

These are all just thoughts that will never happen in the actual movies. But what do you think?

I agree with Mako, It's a story in it's own. I believe it ends the way it does, to let the viewer know that Batman will go on in some way/shape/form for the movieverse in the form of "Robin" taking over. So, instead of "Robin" being Batman's sidekick, he continues the legacy in the Nolanverse of Batman.

No, no, no, no.......I liked Nolan's "Bat-verse" for what it was.......but lets move on. Caught DKR on HBO the other night again.....watched most of it. (I have it on blu too, but nothing else was on, had to watch) its pretty boring IMO. It doesn't stand up to multiple viewings......I think he caught lightning in a bottle with TDK......that and Ledger was brilliant....(which no one saw coming)

I'm still not really happy about the was DC is approaching Batman v. Superman anyway......starting with the title "Batman VS. Superman" kinda bugs me......why do they have to be enemies...or fighting each other?? Not that they haven't in the past.....but I really have no faith in DC and WB capturing this the same way the books have done their relationship so well over the years. Whenever they have fought in the past there was a reason for them coming to blows over stuff.....not just a misunderstanding or whatever stupid reason they'll have them in this movie.

also for the record I have no problem with Affleck as Bats......i don't trust WB and DC when it comes to their movies.......MOS was great eye-candy and had some really cool parts but it was "all jacked up on MT. DEW!!!" way too much.