Mattel 4" movie figures

yojoebro82

The hate is probably because Mattel has made four different movie lines in a 6" scale in Dark Knight, Rises, Green Lantern, and Man of Steel. A lot of the secondary characters are not available in the 4" line. Not to mention the Batman '66 line is in a 6" scale. To release these in a 4" scale was bound to piss a lot of people off.

I actually kinda hated the 6" lines for that. Why do they get all the secondary characters while the 4" lines are stuck with variants that never appear in the movies? >< Shouldn't the line's small scale encourage more characters? I guess we can thank the failure of the Green Lantern line for that. It was chock full of various characters that didn't sell :/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's two ways to view this whole ordeal: There's the business angle and there's the consumer angle. For the business angle...it's a smart move on Mattel's part, launching their 4'' line off with some of the most demanded characters. It essentially iron-grips us into conforming to the scale change. I know I don't want 4'' at all...that I'm ticked off beyond belief...but I also know that despite it, unfortunately, I still can't resist. They do look great. For the collector angle, which I'd venture to assume is all of us, it's a slap in the face, a sell out moment. I get that it's a business and they need to make money, but I'm a consumer. That's not exactly a priority of mine and it's baffling to me as to why in the world that would be to anyone that doesn't work there. I get the dynamic, we buy, we get more. I just don't particular care and that's exactly what consumerism inherently is, selfish. Accept its moles and zips and just go with it. So this, basically, is a giant middle-finger to collectors, in my view of things, because there's no logical answer for releasing a 4'' Batman 1989 and Batman Returns line...when EVERY prior Batman line is 6''. I don't want Hobbit Keaton...even if it is accurate to his real-life stature. =P Surely everyone desires a uniform Batman archive. It's a dream of mine to be able to line up ever movie Batman figure. That dream was crushed down to a 4'' snub.

So here's all I really care about: Has anyone actually had the balls to call Mattel out on this and ask them if we will (also) be getting 6'' Batman 1989 and Returns (along with old Superman) figures, now that they have the license, so we can have them all be standard and alongside one another, or is it confirmed that this, indeed, is all we'll ever be getting?

I guess it's just because I stopped caring greatly about 6" figures a long time ago but I just don't care. Had they done this ten years ago then I probably would've been annoyed but now, I for one am dying to own a GI Joe scaled Reeve Superman and Keaton Batman and I say we're long due for a decent 4" DC line. I am surprised it's Batman Returns and not Batman. Considering when it first came out, it wasn't seemed as "marketable" due to it's over the top dark nature. Time is a funny thing, isn't it?

Since I've asked this twice now and no one has answered, (and would rather just #@$#@ that it's not a 6" line) I'm assuming a release date hasn't been announced yet.

No release date, just the launch date of Spring 2014 and it is in front of the Arkham City figures. Check out the Figures.com gallery below.

http://www.figures.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=278211&title=mattel&cat=10451

It was actually announced during SDCC that the 4" line would be launching in Spring 2014, but that is likely just the 1st wave that includes the video game figures, not the movie ones.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=346&itemid=20785

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and I truly believe everyone has had a valid point, even the so-called "haters". Having said that, I tend to fall into the Pizza Man Z camp that says at the end of the day, we're finally getting some of the older screen accurate characters in action figure form that we've all always wanted. Would I have preferred Movie Masters versions? Absolutely. But considering I don't have any in any scale, four-inch versions will do just fine. (lol)

It's just a tricky thing, being a consumer of such products...yeah, you can apply the "vote with your wallet" mentality, but that tends to work better when you're buying a car or a washing machine. Toy collector's tend to be a little more passionate about the products they support. Some can simply take it or leave it, as it were, but not all of them. And yes, it does get irritating when you invest emotionally and financially in something that brings you great joy only to have toy companies make decisions that don't seem to be grounded in any kind of good sense or reasoning. It's like someone else here said, make a great product, and most people will spend the money. We don't care about the rising cost of plastic, the expense of mold tooling, etc. Just give us a great product, and we'll buy it. If you don't, and you resort to crappy five POA figures to justify lower costs, then you'll be stuck with tons of useless toys nobody wanted to being with, thereby negating any kind of money-saving measure. In fact, the opposite will occur. It's simple economics.

Bah...I didn't mean to lean towards complaining, because I truly do feel like we're currently experiencing a second golden age of toy collecting, despite the criticisms and complaints. It's just that I can usually understand both sides of this whole argument between toy companies' decision-making process and what collectors really want. But right now I'm in my zero-sympathy mode for the almighty toy companies. It's like when I watch Pawn Stars, although it's from the perspective of the seller instead of buyer, and I hear Rick Harris complain in his negotiations about pricing a given item, about how he's gonna have to spend money framing and/or restoring it...I just want to say to the man, if I were the seller, "Hey, that's not my problem! Just give me what I want or I walk!" That's how I feel about toy companies these days. If they can't give me what I want, I'm not gonna coddle them with my money and support when they offer a sub-par product. I'll just move on to someone or something else. I'm sure there are many other companies willing to take my money. (lol)

I am just chomping at the bit to get a preorder. I am too excited and have to do customs to kill the time waiting for these figures. I have literally pulled out my old Kenner figures and vehicles to put up in my office at the house to keep me from losing my mind. I really can't wait for the Arkham figures, Bain, Azreal, Freeze and Batman look sweet.

• 6 months later...

I just picked up masked and unmasked Bat's at TRU for $8.97 each after TRU priced matched Amazon's price.

What part of the country? I have been to 6 walmarts and one tru here in denver and every walmart is out or has old figures.

I just picked up masked and unmasked Bat's at TRU for $8.97 each after TRU priced matched Amazon's price.

What part of the country? I have been to 6 walmarts and one tru here in denver and every walmart is out or has old figures.

I'm down in the Springs.

I'm down in the Springs.

Colorado springs?

I'm down in the Springs.

Colorado springs?

Yep, Colorado Springs. Went back and grabbed Zod and another masked batman.