Anyone reading the new Star Wars comic?

Devilbat

I know that thread title seems like a dumb spambot question (lol), but I'm talking about the new series that takes place between Episodes IV and V. I really like what they're doing with it for the most part, but I have some mixed feelings about a few things:

I like how Vader's reputation amongst the officers is beginning to grow, and I like the "on-the-run" feel the Rebellion in general has. We're also getting insight into Luke's career in the Rebellion; usually all the talk is about his journey from farm boy to Jedi knight, but he's being portrayed as more of a soldier for the Rebellion and just coming to terms with learning from Obi-Wan's spirit through the Force. It's just cool for me to think Obi-Wan continues to be a guide and voice of reason before the events in Empire. We were always led to believe Obi-Wan suddenly re-appears to Luke after somewhat of an absence...or at least that's the impression I always got from the appearance of his Force spirit on Hoth. So to think he continued to be a mystical guide beyond his death, like we saw in Episode IV, throughout other adventures, is a cool idea I like seeing.

Among the things that are somewhat bothering me includes the fact that Leia is a pilot for the Rebellion's version of Black Ops. She is leading their stealth squadron, and she even has her own X-Wing and astro-mech. On one hand, I kinda like the idea of her being somewhat of an accomplished pilot, as if she shares Luke's, and ultimately their father's, natural talent. It then makes more sense for her to be seen in Empire briefing the pilots before the Battle of Hoth, as if she's some authority on aerial battle. It also further qualifies her as a military leader for the Rebellion. But then there's this other side of me that thinks this portrayal is completely out of character, as if the strong, stoic, and opinionated character of Leia should stay regulated to the role of diplomatic yet not-afraid-to-fight princess we see in the films. I don't know...I can't seem to make up my mind about whether I'm completely on board with that or not...

Another thing is, I don't necessarily care to see Han in his Bespin fatigues from Empire. I mean yeah, that's my favorite version of Han, but...I prefer to think he should be sporting some modified uniform from the one we see him in during Episode IV. I guess it just seems to take away from the newness of seeing it in Empire. But maybe that's just coming from an old fogey that thinks that particular look for Han should have remained uniquely within Empire and not used for old time's sake, or just to say, "Hey...our new series is leading up to Empire! See? Han is wearing his Bespin fatigues! It's nostalgia!" I'm as nostalgic as they come, but I'm tired of the forced nostalgia in anything Star Wars-related today, the mirrored coincidences, unoriginal repeating themes, and the "poetry" of such concepts. Bah! I want to see fresh, original, and different ideas when it comes to the original cast and characters, just like each of the original films were...well, for the most part. (I'm looking at you, Death Star II!) (lol)

One more thing that bothers me, and I've not paid attention enough to see if it's the same artist on each book, but...Darth Vader's mask seems to be real inconsistent. The eyes are always too rounded and simply look like goggles. I always thought Vader's mask had a skull quality to it, especially in the eyes. So to have such a high-profile Star Wars series in-hand, you'd think the artist would take great care to at least portray someone as prominent as Vader as close to the real thing as possible.

It's a great series, and it's definitely worth checking out. I just wanted to get a reaction from some of you guys that may be reading it too and see what you all thought about it.

I haven't been reading it but had thought about it until the sale to Marvel and eventual comics being published by Marvel starting next year thing came up. I just really didn't want to "invest" in a series that was going to be disregarded by Marvel as soon as they start publish SW comics (not that they have said it will be, but I bet almost everything DH has published will be "thrown away" as it was). That's the reason I'm only reading The Star Wars right now. I know it's something of it's own tale and has nothing to do with anything else going on.