Sign in to follow this  
Bespin refugee

'Arrow' Discussion Thread

Anyone notice that everyone in Arrow is mispronouncing Ras Al Ghul.

Ras is pronounced "Raish"

Yeah, according to one show. According to another it's pronounced a different way. Who's to say which is right?

Ra's being the killer is the easy guess because we all know he's coming this season but since it is such an easy guess I think it will NOT be him.

I really want it to be Slade but BC would have probably seemed more alarmed if it was him, so probably not.

Yeah, there's a chance the killer may have been Thea...that would be pretty twisted.

This is probably something they had planned for the character all along, I don't believe she was ever billed as a "regular" cast member and ultimately I'm OK with it. It was a twist that caught us off guard and the whole season will likely ride on this one event. Plus it gets us all taking.

Who's to say which is right?

There's an episode of Batman Beyond where Terry meets who is seemingly Talia, Ra's Al Ghul's daughter. Terry mispronounces the name and Talia corrects him, saying it's 'Raish" not "Roz"

For them to specifically put that in the script of that episode, I'd say there is a right way and a wrong way to pronounce the name... the right way being "Raish"

In Arrow's case, It means the producers or whatever creative team behind the show didn't do their homework.

For them to specifically put that in the script of that episode, I'd say there is a right way and a wrong way to pronounce the name... the right way being "Raish"

Actually, I remember that BB episode to. That was put in the script as a joke, a comedy beat. It means nothing. There is no right or wrong way to say Ra's. Its a made up word.

There's an episode of Batman Beyond where Terry meets who is seemingly Talia, Ra's Al Ghul's daughter. Terry mispronounces the name and Talia corrects him, saying it's 'Raish" not "Roz"

In Arrow's case, It means the producers or whatever creative team behind the show didn't do their homework.

If by "didn't do their homework" you mean, they missed one throw away line in one episode of a cartoon spin-off of another cartoon of a hero who isn't Green Arrow, then yes. You're right.

Lazy bums!

No. The point that is being unsurprisingly missed is... if they are willing to add such a fact into the dialog of a cartoon endorsed by DC Comics, which is also produced by people who are no doubt the authority on how the name is pronounced... Then I'd say DC has it on record that it is in fact pronounced "Raish".

So the creative people behind Arrow should have consulted DC to verify it's pronunciation instead of just assuming it's pronounced "Roz" just because it's spelled that way.

I really hope they don't rush turning Laurel into the Black Canary...

Actually, I remember that BB episode to. That was put in the script as a joke, a comedy beat. It means nothing. There is no right or wrong way to say Ra's. Its a made up word.

More of a nod than a joke since there was nothing humorous about the dialog or the scene. A nod to the fact that so many people clearly mispronounce the name. Anyone who says there is no right or wrong way obviously has been saying it wrong but can't admit it.

Well it's been two years so far. How long would you like?

No seriously, I agree. The only thing I don't really like about Roy being Arsenal now, is how quickly he went from Arrow fan-boy to informant to side-kick to full-on partner.

I hope with Laurel we get a little more time for her to evolve from weepy lawyer to costumed @$$-kicker.

Ra's being the killer is the easy guess because we all know he's coming this season but since it is such an easy guess I think it will NOT be him.

My money is on Nyssa. Let's face it, Sara has faced more than her share of League assassins, surprised or not, I just don't see her standing there while someone puts three arrows in her abdomen. However, her closest friend turning on her might command the necessary shock and awe to catch her off guard.

Plus we know Nyssa is coming back, and her revealing to Ollie that she murdered Sara would make for a potentially powerful scene.

If by "didn't do their homework" you mean, they missed one throw away line in one episode of a cartoon spin-off of another cartoon of a hero who isn't Green Arrow, then yes. You're right.

Lazy bums!

Batman Animated predates that cartoon and they pronounced it Raas. So your argument is weak. And by the by, DC has a very heavy hand in producing Gotham, so I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Lazy bums!

Batman Animated predates that cartoon and they pronounced it Raas. So your argument is weak. And by the by, DC has a very heavy hand in producing Gotham, so I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

No, Batman called him "Raish" in BTAS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p9MwsUo7Us.

Is my argument still weak? ;)

GOTHAM? LOL! I'm sure they will call him "Roz" in that one too... doesn't mean it's right.

I know that they pronounced it Raish in TAS but I'm not one to think that just because someone does something FIRST doesn't automatically mean they did it RIGHT. Maybe they're the ones who didn't "do their homework"...

Anyway, I've commented too many times on this dumb subject. I stated before that I don't care how it's pronounced and you know who else doesn't care? DC Comics. Between an award winning 90s animated series, three blockbuster movies, and a modern hit TV show, someone is not pronouncing it correctly and DC has not felt the need to go and correct anyone. If an order came from on high for someone to change the way they're pronouncing something, you can believe they'd do it. But that hasn't happened. By that same token, if I HAD to guess the "right" pronunciation", I'd probably go with Roz just for the fact that if Nolan DID pronounce it wrong, there's no way he wouldn't have been corrected by the powers that be before billions of people world wide were exposed to the wrong pronunciation of a major character in these movies. So if you're a Nolan hater looking for more ammo against him, this is probably your weakest round to date. There's no way he was operating unchecked with the keys to DC's biggest property. It's possible that TAS (one of the best cartoons ever) "got it wrong" and now it's just too late to do anything about.

But as I stated, I just don't care .

For someone who doesn't care, you do an awful lot of posting to defend your stance on the subject.

I can see that my point is being missed in favor of passionate Nolan and prime time show fan boy white knighting... and I expected as much.

I'll try again though:

It was obviously a conscious decision for the story writers of BB episode #44 "Out of the past" to have Talia officially clear the air on how the name is pronounced. They wouldn't have done it if they didn't think it was something that needed to be rectified. And no, it wasn't done for comedy... talk about a stretch. So this is why there IS ONLY ONE CORRECT way to pronounce it. The creative teams that did those animated series back then probably cared while nowadays, people like Nolan don't. Clearly DC doesn't give a #$## either... because if they did, it wouldn't be pronounced wrong in modern media.

Like I said, To argue that there is no right or wrong way to pronounce it is just a cop out. Arguing that maybe BTAS and BB had it wrong is more of a stretch than any of my so called "weak" arguments.

It would be interesting to see what Dennis O'Neil (the creator of the character) has to say...

http://www.comicgeek...eek_speak-3.php

Check out the above link... This should put it to rest, but I'm sure it wont.

My money is on Nyssa.

Good guess and I hadn't thought of that one. That is Ra's other daughter, right? I forgot her actual name--I call her Not-Talia.

Malcolm, could be another possibility. We know he's scared of Ra's, maybe taking out Sara was the first move in some Machiavellian plot to take over the League of Assassins.

Sara comes to warn Ollie about Malcolm. Malcolm comes to kill Sara. Nyssa comes to find Sara's killer. Malcolm takes out Nyssa. Ra's comes to avenge Nyssa. Malcolm takes out Ra's.

That would certainly explain Sara and Malcolm's sudden return, Malcolm's sudden interest in reaffirming his relationship with Thea (every king needs an heir), as well as provide an excellent reason for Ra's himself showing up.

Plus I like the idea of this civil war of assassins brewing right under their noses while Team Arrow is so caught up in their personal lives they don't even realize it.

So the team loves Sara so much they hid her murder from her father, kept her on ice in a bar freezer, then buried her in an unhallowed ceremony.

Starting to think Thea has the right idea. Ollie and company are kinda messed up.

Good action, really good acting with Oliver and Felicity scene, and another cool ending. That's Arrow for ya.

Yeah, I have to admit, as much as I (REALLY) hate Felicity, EBR really brought her "A" game to those emotional scenes. Especially considering she came off kinda weak last episode.

It would be interesting to see what Dennis O'Neil (the creator of the character) has to say...

http://www.comicgeek...eek_speak-3.php

Check out the above link... This should put it to rest, but I'm sure it wont.

Awesome. Good enough for me. And, besides, no one should contradict Kevin Conroy and David Warner.

black-canary-mask-109071.jpg

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/11/arrows-katie-cassidy-getting-fitted-for-a-mask-already/

black-canary-mask-109071.jpg

All that compound and equipment for making facial molds . . . and two JUMBO bottles of Listerine.

Are they trying to tell poor Katie something?

Good action, really good acting with Oliver and Felicity scene, and another cool ending. That's Arrow for ya.

Yeah, I have to admit, as much as I (REALLY) hate Felicity, EBR really brought her "A" game to those emotional scenes. Especially considering she came off kinda weak last episode.

..and the way Oliver was subtly switching to his Arrow voice with his mask off during that scene was very well done.

How can you hate Felicity....I love watching her...