'Arrow' Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

I like it better than the buckle mess that Laura Lance last had... and it is not AS skin tight as the others, it seems. I don't know what else they would do... it's supposed to be black, as she is BLACK Canary... and they are not going to put her in something shapeless or a potato sack. Don't know what else to expect..

Eh, at this point I'm kind of burned out on the Black Canary character: they killed her, they replace her, they bring her back, rinse and repeat. It really is a shame as this one has the potential to be the best one but I don't know I just don't care at this point. Also, so this reveal means that everyone or at least her made it off the island.

That's true! Did not think of that... well, we figured they had. lol

The scales are iridescent, I'd say. Don't mind them, myself... As far as the Black Canary character, it's the new Batman/Spiderman. Redone a half dozen times, just about... lol

It really is a shame as this one has the potential to be the best one but I don't know I just don't care at this point.

I wouldn't know 'cause basically I haven't watched Arrow since the end of the first half of Season 4. (I tried to come back a couple of times but dang.... )

But because nobody asked, and I'm bored waiting for premiere night, I feel obligated to list the various BCs I have seen in order of my preference. Your mileage may vary.

Smallville Black Canary (Alaina Huffman)

Birds of Prey Black Canary (Lori Loughlin)

Legends of the Superheroes Black Canary (Seriously, NOBODY knows who played this chick)

Arrow Black Canary 1 (Katie Cassidy)

Arrow Canary/ Legends of Tomorrow White Canary (Caity Lotz)

Is that the 1979 Legends of Superheroes? I'm reading that it was played by Danuta Wesley... Don't know who that is, but I have not watched this version....

Is that the 1979 Legends of Superheroes? I'm reading that it was played by Danuta Wesley... Don't know who that is, but I have not watched this version....

The IMDB entry is mistaken. It wasn't her... nor was it the woman who used to cohost The 700 Club (another prevailing theory). Long story short, with the exception of Adam West, Burt Ward, Frank Gorshin (hired to reprise their roles from the '60's Batman series) and a handful of popular '70's era comedians (Jeff Altman etc.) the actors and actresses in the specials were all hired for their ability to fit the costumes and paid scale. Very few did anything else, and some weren't actors at all.

There was a really interesting blog by this guy who chronicled live action superhero appearances (malls, ski-shows, etc.) and did a whole series on tracking down the cast. I'm still trying to find it again.

In any case, you can get the Legends of the Superheroes on DVD from Amazon and through Warner Archive, and I strongly suggest you do. After 4 years of watching Oliver go back and fourth over whether he should kill criminals it's actually kind of therapeutic seeing Solomon Grundy pimp-slapping Ed McMahon or Mordru singing his unique rendition of "That's Entertainment."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watching more CW superhero shows last night....well, trying too....baby was fussing too much. But during a fit of crying and screaming a saw a commercial for this week's Arrow and I could have sworn I caught a glimpse of Michale Emerson. Is he a regular now? Guest star? I really liked him on Lost and Person of Interest and I always thought he'd make a great Riddler.

Just heard former teen heart-throb and original Mirror Master, David Cassidy, father of Katie Cassidy, died yesterday. Kinda floored me as I've been a fan for as long as I can remember.

Sad day for anybody who came up in the 70s.

Look at it this way, nowadays whenever I read a headline featuring the name of an actor I respect or admire, I kind of hope it means they died instead of them being accused of sexual harassment.

• 1 month later...

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/12/29/arrowverse-justice-league-no-plans-for-batman/

Marc Guggenheim, only you could take the most reasonable, rational and sound explanation in the world and turn it into the stupidest think I've ever heard. I guess its true. Of all the Marc Guggenheims in the world, you're the Marc Guggenheimiest.*

* Apologies to Charles Shultz.

I mean...there's only so many days in the week, right?

Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends, Black Lightning.....and that's just counting the CW shows. (Is Teen Titans going to be CW?)

I think it's gonna launch WB's streaming service... or on Amazon, I can't keep all the streamers straight anymore. It's like the '90s when suddenly everyone wanted to start their own TV network.

Anyway, if the number of super-shows bothers you that much, I can suggest two or three I wouldn't mind losing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did what I almost never do and clicked on an online article to read it. The headline was something along the lines of "Here's why CW needs to cancel Arrow".

I lost interest in that show a long time ago but I was still curious about their opinions (it's ALL opinion in these online "news" articles these days, right?). They claimed the show has lost its direction since Oliver found his way off the island (ie, no more flashbacks) and now is a good time to wrap it up and provided a list of other ways the show has lost its edge.

Now again, I have not watched regularly in about 2 or 3 years, but I feel pretty confident in saying they will not be giving this show the ax....even if they SHOULD. These shows have a tendency to linger long after their glory days are done. Instead of going out on top, networks cling to them and eventually let them die in their Friday night graves after 10, 11, or 12 + seasons (Smallville). Personally, I don't feel ANY TV show, even my most beloved shows ever, should last more than 5-7 years.

I might pick this show up where I left off via netflix. I know Michael Emmerson is on the show now and I love that guy, so if nothing else maybe I'll just skip ahead to the season he's in. We'll see.

Thoughts from people who watch this show still?

I think its obvious at this point that Arrow has the same kind of fans that Star Wars has. Every new movie, Jed-Heads flock to the theatre in droves, and as soon as the credits role, they're typing madly on their Google-apple iMini phone pad notebooks about how horrible it was. Yet, the very next movie those same Jed-Heads are right back there with their popcorn and raisinettes doing the same bloody thing.

Good or bad, until it gets to expensive to make, Arrow isn't going anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...