yojoebro82

"Gotham" Discussion Thread

Watched the preview that aired with 24...still not sold on this. Looks bland to me...not the subject matter, just visually. Looks like any other Fox drama.

also...Where's Alfred, preview?

I saw the commercial for this on Fox the other night.I thought it was going to be a WB soap but now I will watch it

I saw the commercial for this on Fox the other night.I thought it was going to be a WB soap but now I will watch it

All things considered, if it were a choice between a WB/CW soaper or a Fox drama, I'd take the soap.

All things considered, if it were a choice between a WB/CW soaper or a Fox drama, I'd take the soap.

Hell no why would you want that?

Anything to spare myself another Booker or Lone Gunmen.

LOL Those were eons ago

LOL Those were eons ago

Which should give you some indication of when I gave up on Fox.

Not that I'm really interested in this series but I would be worried more about Fox cancelling it after a season or 2 when everyone is really invested than anything else. Since eventually this is gonna turn into Batman Begins begins, I would have preferred making it about members of the Bat Family, Nightwing, Oracle and the Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Damian things like that have some nice crossovers with the other series maybe introduce Deadman. This would be a great way for WB to explore the Batman mythos while the movies handles Batman as a Justice League member.

Not that I'm really interested in this series but I would be worried more about Fox cancelling it after a season or 2 when everyone is really invested than anything else.

Thing about Fox is there was a time everything they showed was this huge trend-setting hit, from America's Most Wanted to X-Files.

But Fox's hey-day was a long time ago. The closest thing they have to a flag-ship series is The Simpsons, and even that is showing it's age after twenty-something years.

That's why a show has to tank BAD to be canceled off Fox nowadays. They need whatever successes they can get, no matter how small. Why else do you think 24 keeps creeping back? Family Guy was canceled, what, three or four times during its run. Kept coming back.

So if Gotham can make it through this first season, and Warners doesn't pull the plug to clear the way for Superman/Batman (as they tried to do with Smallville for Superman Returns), it has a better than average chance of going the distance.

Well it depends if it meets Fox's ratings standard(which I have no doubt it will because everything Batman sells) then I see it lasting, but Fox has canceled a couple of shows in recent years after one or 2 seasons even though they were well received by people and critics due to ratings. This has gotten to a point where a lot of viewers are wary about shows on FOX.

Look,if The Cleveland Show could go for as long as it did,I don't think I'd have any worries about this.

True, but The Cleveland Show doesn't have a theatrical film coming up fast, and Warner Bros. movie division is notorious for not sharing it's comic properties with the small screen. If Gotham doesn't score big-@$$ed ratings fast and consistently, I forsee a short life.

Pretty Good stuff.

Visually, Gotham looked great, just like the city should look, IMO. As a fan of Nolan's Batman, one thing I thought could be improved on is the fact that Chicago is NOT Gotham City. In this show, however, I thought they really sold it.

Guy that plays Gordon is a strong lead, Bullock is good too. I think they could end up having a good chemistry.

Not too much of young Bruce or Alfred in this episode but after the final scenes with them in it, it left me wanting to see more of both of them.

Penguin was interesting too, I want to see what he does next.

I was not expecting to see Falcone show up, I guess I was just expecting him to be a name that gets dropped. He looks like the makings of another strong character.

I will now predict the fanboy nit-picking elements of this show: Selena lurking from the rooftops during the Wayne murders. Barbara seemingly having a past relationship with Montoya....Both of those get a big "so what?" from me.

Batman is my favorite superhero and if given a choice, I, like everyone else, would just as well like to see a full-on, in-costume Batman TV show. This won't be it and if you can get over that, it looks like this might be pretty good. If you can't get over that, there's always Arrow and Flash. Can't wait for those either.

I will say one thing I'd love to see from this show would be a young, noble Victor Freeze. Really play up the love story between him and Nora for the full run of the show (however long that may be) and in the last season, after everyone's invested in them, kill her off. I think that would be great.

LOL Those were eons ago

Then explain Sleepy Hollow if fox is that bad

Wow, this is shaping up to be a train wreck of a half-ass written show. If the writer's put half as much effort into the dialogue and plot as they did token cameos that (outside of the Penguin, maybe) have no real purpose other than arbitrary, ill-timed fan-wanking, it might have been half-decent.

The premise and universe of a pre-Batman Gotham has a lot of possibilities, and I'm not opposed to said universe having younger versions of Batman's rogue's gallery within it, but tipping your hand on Catwoman, Poison Ivy, the Riddler, the Penguin and possibly even the Joker all in the pilot is just a really poor sense of timing.

Going from "case closed" on the Wayne murders to "frame job" to "must find truth" in the scope of 49 minutes is another example of bad writing and timing. You can't force the drama. You can't make a show good by overloading it with fan-fiction-esque cameos. It just makes the entire show seem contrived and amateurish.

Oh, and whoever casted Alfred should be fired. I'm all for reinterpreting characters or even reinventing them, but only to a certain degree. You might as well make Bruce Wayne a Duck Dynasty trust-fund baby complete with all the charm of a swamp-bred denizen.

It's not enough that the premise of the show has villains over the hero despite old Bat-franchise complaints, but cramming them all into the first episode alone AND having them intertwined with the Bruce Wayne story (Burton-Joker killed Bats' parents anyone?) is either lazy or just plain stupid.

No big surprise or engaging element, other than changing character interaction/intertwining origins, that make this premiere lacking. Im thinking of both visual (Smallville's meteor shower) or plot intrigue (Arrow's island mystery)

There might have been more flamboyant incarnations of the characters, but I dont think ive ever seen a more effeminate Riddler or Penguin.

And what was the deal with Carmine "The Epilogue" Falcone? Was he reading off a cue card?

Oh, and anyone laugh at girl-scream Bruce? I couldnt help it...I know that is what would most likely come from a kid like that in a realistic situation but...and on top of that, cut to crappy, tonal shift commercial.

I thought the OC was pretty decent as Gordon. And still looking forward to seeing more of Sean Pertwee's Alfred. But if this is all the show has going for it, I bet im out by the 3rd episode.

I don't see it as "cramming" in all those villains. It's an ensamble cast and from my understanding, the villains are as much main characters as the good guys.

It's like watching the first episode of Star Trek TNG and asking why did they "cram" in Picard AND Worf AND Riker AND Data AND LaForge AND the rest all in the first episode. Because the show is about all of them and we're being introduced.

I don't see it as "cramming" in all those villains. It's an ensamble cast and from my understanding, the villains are as much main characters as the good guys.

It's like watching the first episode of Star Trek TNG and asking why did they "cram" in Picard AND Worf AND Riker AND Data AND LaForge AND the rest all in the first episode. Because the show is about all of them and we're being introduced.

I doubt youre not going to see Catwoman, Ivy, and Riddler every week. It was overkill...even the average joe on the street is familiar with those characters...clearly just stacking the deck for the first episode. It would have been more creative to drop in, say, kirk langstrom, Jason woodrue, Arthur brown, etc. But anyway, if youre going to use Star Trek similes, I'll give you Yeoman Rand, Nurse Chapel, or Lt. Kyle.

At least theyre holding off on the Joker...but not for long.

Maybe it's all there just to distract us from Montoya's romance with Gordon's fiancé.

At least theyre holding off on the Joker...but not for long.

Maybe it's all there just to distract us from Montoya's romance with Gordon's fiancé.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was watching the scene with Fish Mooney and that stand up comic and thinking, "Joker?" Personally, I doubt it, that guy didn't seem to have any kind of special look about him. But another neat idea might be to pepper the seasons with potential Jokers here and there, a different guy each time. Just to keep people guessing but never actually pulling the trigger and giving us THE Joker.

I'll admit that bringing in Joker full-on would be a big misstep. Almost any other Bat villain would get a pass, but not him. His origin needs to be tied to a full grown Bruce Wayne/Batman. If I had to guess, I would doubt they'll do it.

Fans have known forever that Montoya plays for the other team. In all that time, no one's said "boo". What do you want to bet that THIS show is where you start to hear complaining about it, even though no one gave a hot damn before.

LOL Those were eons ago

Then explain Sleepy Hollow if fox is that bad

STOP FEEDING ROBERTO ORCI.

That was awesome...That had to be Selina Kyle and ofcourse we seen Edward Nygma..Ivy who should of been Pamela Isly and of course Oswald Cobblepot.I was hoping the comedian on stage was Jack Nappier but can't tell at this early stage