Why don't/didn't you like Daredevil??

Lady Jaye

Ok, pretty much there's an uproar all over the net about Affleck bring cast as Batman!!! Many of our kind, comic nerds, are citing Daredevil as the primary reason!!

My question to you is; why do you hate Daredevil? What was wrong with the movie?? Was it casting, script, pacing, what?? Did it not tells faithful enough story? Or was it changed too much??

I personally liked it!! It was no X2 or Spidey 2, but I gave it a chance. I think he did a great job as Murdoch, really did a good job playing a blind man, as well as showing us the pain he goes through with heightened senses!!

My issues came from the fight scenes, they sucked!! For such acrobatic fighters, they didn't do anything death defying!! No flips, jumps, etc!!!

So why all the dislike or hate for y'all??

Yeah, I didn't think DD was terrible either.

Comic movies will be made again and again forever. There will be a few really good ones that people always point to (Avengers, Dark Knight, Iron Man), there will be a few that are loathed (Catwoman, Steel), and then the largest category, the ones that were just "meh". DD is in that category. It was not the greatest, but certainly not as bad as some say it was.

I also like how people didn't like Afleck as DD so they think that means he'll be a bad Batman. Just like how Chris Evans played a cocky, arrogant Johnny Storm, and then he went and played Captain America with the same cocky arrogance.....Oh wait, he DIDN'T do that? I guess that's why it's called acting.

I'm not going to champion Afleck as the best choice ever. At this point, we just don't know.

DD is one of the few movies that the directors cut should have been the theatrical. What was cut really was a night and day difference with the movie. It wasn't Affleck's fault that DD wasn't memorable, it was the fact that it was missing Matt Murdock. A good super hero movie requires some time spent as their alter ego and DD was really missing that. The directors cut corrects that.

As for Batman, I'm not crazy about the casting, but it really isn't a problem with Batman, it is can Afleck do a good Bruce Wayne. Really as long as the writers don't go all Batman and Robin with this movie any actor who is in shape could play Batman. I think he'll do fine as long as he remembers this one key. People won't go see this movie because of him, they'll go see it because it is a Batman movie. It is one of those times when the source material is far more popular then the actor in the role.

I liked it, just watched the makings of DD on youtube and it was interesting how they chose the suit. I'm stoked.. .as much as I liked Bale, sometimes the whisper/growl voice was weird.

I agree with this, really liked Bale as Bruce Wayne, but the voice he used as Batman just seemed wrong

Daredevil is one of my favorite marvel characters (basically it's him, Cyclops, Cap and Bucky) so I really wanted to like the movie. The first 15 minutes is great. The ending with the Kingpin is great. What I hated was everything after they put Jennifer Garner onscreen. Elektra ruined that movie for me (although the scene in the rain was pretty neat).

It's so refreshing to see some love for the Daredevil film. Although I'll agree it was no blockbuster, it's not the turkey the armchair critics would have you believe. I've always liked it and consider it underrated.

As to whether or not Ben Affleck will successfully wear the Batman cowl, I'm reminded of a particular issue of Starlog Magazine I read back in the day about a certain comedic actor that was tapped for the role in the original Batman film. People were up in arms over Tim Burton's casting of Michael Keaton as Batman/Bruce Wayne, but I think that worked out nicely. (lol)

Starlog, now that's a blast from the past!! Like Fangoria, Metal Edge, Mad magazine, Cracked and other mags from my tween years!!

Man I still remember the summer it came out!! I was staying at my aunts in Corpus when it released, didn't get to watch it then! Had to wait to come home and dear ol moms took me that same weekend I came back!!!

She was the best mom to this lil collecting nerd!! I miss her.

People were up in arms over Tim Burton's casting of Michael Keaton as Batman/Bruce Wayne, but I think that worked out nicely. (lol)

The "fans" complaining about the casting are quickly reaching "cry baby" level. Not on this board, but in all these articles I'm reading online. Cut it out, nerds! You're giving the rest of us a bad name.

If we had our internet machines in the 80s, we would be seeing the same amount of criticism for Keaton that we are seeing for Affleck now. Basing all of their gripes on the work the actor has done in the past.

Now, of course, you rarely come across anyone who doesn't think Keaton did a good job in the roll.

I liked Daredevil and enjoy it I even have the director's cut on blu ray, I agree with a lot of things said here why they liked I'm gonna touch on a couple of things that for me the movie got right talking mostly of the director's cut that got things right.

1. The religion angle: the catholic guilt and his struggle with faith is to me one of the defining aspects of the Daredevil character and I'm glad they didn't shy away from that in the movie. Here's a man who is a religious person but at the same time he takes it upon himself to be judge and jury instead of leaving judgement to God. Also I like how they allude to his mother being a nun another thing they touch upon in the comics but never fully explored.

2. Foggy Nelson: It's rare for comic book movies to get the hero's supporting characters right, without changing an aspect of it. Daredevil in my opinion got it right not only was Jon Favreau funny, he had the defining aspects of Foggy always looking for ways to get more money or rich clients, always telling Matt to be a little amoral, but deep down proving he has a legal sharp mind(the subplot of him proving Coolio's character was innocent) and that he truly cares about Matt as his best friend.

3. Karen Page: Once before Grey's Anatomy Ellen Pompeio was a pretty Karen Page she was in the movie for a short time but one scene proved that they were right on the money with the character. For the longest time in the comics Karen Page was the secretary of Nelson and Murdock, who secretly crushed on Matt, that scene where Matt comes in and she gives him the invitation to the Ball and eagerly offers him coffee you could notice a subtle hint that there was something there and have Foggy express his wish for the coffee after Matt says no and she sort of rolls her eyes that was sort of a play of their love triangle.

4. Kingpin: despite the race change I still Michael Clarke Duncan had the right imposing and intimidating presence of the Kingpin. The way he kills his lieutenants in a fit because he believes they are betraying him reminded me of the 90s Spider Man cartoon where he would break something whenever his plans failed.

5. Soundtrack: I know I'm gonna catch flack because of this one but sorry I'm an old metalhead give me some nice loud rock song during a movie sequence over some badly composed score and I'm a happy camper. Playing My Immortal during the Elektra's father scene was great and it fit the scene like a shoe also at the end when Daredevil saying he's gonna keep protecting his neighborhood and at the same time I won't back down plays to close the movie,awesome.

6. Daredevil powers: Some superhero movies makes the hero look unbeatable there's no struggle, I feel Daredevil did a good job in showing how his powers work and at the same time reminding that he's blind and he's still vulnerable as evidenced when he's in the shower and his tooth fell off because of the fights he was involved in and the next day he has cuts in his face.

7. Fights: Another thing people hated but I loved the fight scenes, that sequence in the bar, the Bullseye fight in the church, how he crippled Bullseye's hands and the brutal fight with the Kingpin I thought they were good stuff very well choreographed.

Now for what I didn't liked:

1. No Stick, the lack of Stick in this movie was unforgivable an important part of Daredevil's origin excluded in favor of DD training himself.

2. Over the top Bullseye yeah sure he's a psycho who loves killing people just because but come on they overdid it and that biker look. ugh!

3. Giving Elektra Echo's backstory, I like how they handled Elektra for the most part but that whole thing with her father that was done in the comics with Echo not her, even her outfit was more similar to what Echo wears.

4. Daredevil killing: in the comics DD goes out of his way to avoid killing bad guys he might beat them up badly or cripple them somehow but he doesn't take it that far but in the movie he lets the bad guy get run over by a train.

5. I would have liked more Noir elements in the movie like what Frank Miller and Bendis did with the comics but it's not exactly a deal breaker. In the end I feel the Daredevil character was more complex than what they showed in the movie.

Like I said I enjoyed this movie it's far from being one of the greatest superheroes movies but it has its moments I just feel they got some good things right and others don't I mostly blame Mark Steven Johnson's inexperience as a director and filmmaker. What gives me hope is that Marvel has the rights to DD now and even though Kevin Feige said there are no plans to make a Daredevil movie in the near future I'm still hopeful that we'll get a great Daredevil movie with a Marvel Legends movie line to coincide with the movie release.

Bulseye didnt got his costume and he asked for it in the movie. What the?

For a first attempt i really loved it. The directors cut was even better. The only thing that bugs me is that it is to much superhero.

The thing is, can daredevil really be as great as spiderman? I really doubt it. He is an awesome hero but just like ghost rider or punisher or blade, he stays small and will never reach the blockbuster status batman or spiderman has.

Anybody remember the "Trial of the Incredible Hulk" TV movie? First live-action Daredevil appearance! I loved that one to.

Hey! Maybe everybody would feel better if we cast Rex Smith as the next Batman!

I remember that one, Daredevil wore all black, I also remember the Thor that appeared in the other Hulk movie.

Anybody remember the "Trial of the Incredible Hulk" TV movie? First live-action Daredevil appearance! I loved that one to.

I remember that one, Daredevil wore all black, I also remember the Thor that appeared in the other Hulk movie.

Ahhhhh...so the X-Men movie wasn't the first one to think bright colors wouldn't work.

I had to google these images. I wonder if chick made fun of Thor's "tiny hammer".

Ahhhhh...so the X-Men movie wasn't the first one to think bright colors wouldn't work.

I had to google these images. I wonder if chick made fun of Thor's "tiny hammer".

The "trial of the hulk" was the sequel to the "Arraignment & Preliminary Hearing of the Hulk", as I recall Daredevil didn't take the plea so they went straight into "Trail of the Hulk".......Daredevil was going through his Johnny Cash phase so he was Back in Black(see how much the black outfit worked for DD, people forgot all about these terrible classics).....& as far as Thor's Tiny Hammer, we know the Golden Haired one has been overcompensating for years......why do you think Loki get's all the chix??....he's just a raven haired bad boy prince who plays by his own rules.....& that can clone himself but that does raise a disturbing image of Loki involved in a 5 way....4 of which are prolly Loki....getting back to Bennifer as BM (haha) well only time will tell if he F's up our cabbage-patch......I'm not all for it either but it sounds like the papers have been signed & the damage will be done....it they can only harness the goodtime buddy movie feeling like Hoffman & Beatty from Ishtar then were set.....

Yeah black outfits didn't worked even then although it did worked for Keaton, what I take from those movies is that even then Marvel had their superheroes team up in movies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with Affleck as an actor, but he's limited. I think he was perfect for Daredevil... and the movie wasn't too bad. With this said, I think he will make a fine Batman, even though the film in which his character will be in will totally blow. I actually think he's a better choice for Batman than Bale. Affleck as Bruce Wayne should also be pretty good, so long as Affleck brings a wiser, more mature theme to the character. It would be interesting to see audition footage of Affleck playing Batman.

Back to Daredevil, I thought it was executed well. I like how they showed us how he sees things... instead of images based on vision, we see how he formulated images in his brain based on his enhanced sense of touch, hearing , and smell. I thought the costume was done well too. My real gripe is Electra. She should have been played by another actress. Jennifer Garner also seems limited in her acting abilities.

Was it a bit too much too soon?? I think that Elektra should have been an assassin and if the movie did well, the romance would develop in the sequel!!

Maybe a bit like Catwoman and Batman, where they like each other in their real lives, but are adversaries in their other lives??

I agree that the movie should have been over at least 2 movies.

Part 1: should have been: Origin story, Daredevil fighting minor villians (The Owl/stiltman etc..), Kingpin introduction, bullseye intro

Part 2: Kingpin plot, intro of Elektra, DD vs Elektra, Elektra reveal, Bullseye vs Elektra, Elektra dies

Part 3: Funeral of Elektra, DD brings down Kingpin, DD vs Bullseye conclusion, Elektra revived in the after screen credits

That's pretty much what i'm looking for.

The reason I hated daredevil:

1) Daredevil Kills

2) Kingpin is Black

3) Nobody wore their costumes

4) The Elektra story was rushed and crammed in; the audience didn't feel the pain of elektra dying