Guardians Of The Galaxy Movie...

Nguyen_Dragon

Picked up the big three from this wave yesterday- Rocket, Nova, Gamora. It took three different Targets but there was one of the three at each different store I went to. I'm going to wait a while before getting Drax and Star Lord, I don't think they're going anywhere. I don't know what I'm going to do about finishing Groot because I have zero interest in that Iron Man.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its my payday week so I picked up Rocket.....I couldn't find Nova so I left the rest....I'm waiting till next week after we get our car worked on & my nephews are coming into town so I gotta alot some $ for all that....it couldn't be a worse time either cause this weekend there's a toy-fair in Glendale....doh'....so I'm gonna stay away from there....In hand the figs do look great.....I even have a soft spot for galactic Iron Man.....I just wanted a Nova cause he looks good....I don't know if I should wait either YJB......I know amazon will have some of these on sale sooner or later...Star Lord looks cool....even Gamora was done well...

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so....everywhere I go Rocket, Nova & Gamora seem to be long gone....plenty of Iron Men & StarLords.....even an occasional Drax.....but the same guys are snagging up all the Nova's here....I went to a toy shop & most every seller seemed like they had one for just under $40 bux....by Gramthars hammer I could feel the savings....kicking me in the nards......

• 2 weeks later...

Target has both Rocket & Nova & the rest online right now......I broke down & got Nova cause I can't find him anywhereeeee.....all the Targets in the valley here are out too.....great job guys just a few days before the movie comes out & no stock at all......(I'm in a complainy mood today)....when I get paid again I'll prolly pick up the rest of the team......I really just want to build Groot but I don't care for Gamora & Drax.....even Cup-holder Shoulder Iron man has begun to turn me off....that guy is scorching the pegs at most every walmart here in the valley.....here's the link for Target good luck hunters & crazy peoples.....

http://www.target.co...e+galaxy_c-toys

Thanks for the heads up GD. I ordered Nova (and MST3K Vol. 30, so free shipping). I did snag the rest of the wave last month, but my buddy & I have mostly just seen remnants since then. He did catch a fresh case on Saturday at a KMart of all places, so he's done with them.

The wife has agreed to see this with me this weekend. She likes all the Marvel movies but for this one she said she would keep her expectations low. Fine by me. I have a feeling it will be good and she will end up changing her tune. Looking forward to the weekend.

MOVIE SPOILERS!

So who saw this? Looks like it did pretty well this weekend. The wife liked it as I thought she would. I liked it a lot too. I don't know much GOTG. With Avengers and X-Men and Batman I'm the one giving their friends comic book backstory, who's who, and what their deal is. I had nothing for them this time around. But I thought it was great!

Humor and heart in every character, good chemistry with the core group.

Star Lord looked as though he'd be in danger of being a cocky @$$ for two hours, but that wasn't the case. They kept him grounded to a degree, which was nice. As a child of the 80s, you gotta appreciate the mix tape plot device. Drax, Rocket, Groot, Gamora all brought something to the table, I enjoyed all the main cast.

Solid story and action.

They did a good job with Ronin the Accuser.

I was surprised at how much we see of Thanos. I thought they would have saved him for Avengers 2 but he looked awesome! You can see a bit of Josh Brolin in the face, too.

The theater was rolling at the end with baby Groot dancing and Drax sharpening his knife. That was a good bit. I also liked the part where Rocket says he needs the guys leg for the escape. Nice. There was a lot more solid humor as well.

Howard the Duck in the end credits was a bold move.

Yeah...just another of many enjoyable Marvel Studios films. I may sound like a Marvel zombie after seeing these, thinking they can do no wrong. I assure you that's not the case. If I thought it was crap I'd say so (DC, Sony and Fox provided us with a few good examples over the years). Just so happens I really like this stuff, I think they're doing it right!

(I didn't know what to do, keep the movie talk here or start another thread. If another thread is started for spoilers, can someone move my comments there? Thanks and have a good day!)

MOVIE SPOILERS!

Bold? I have to agree with something said by a fellow poster over on the Indiana Jones forum, The Raven:

"The potential of more Howard The Duck is both exciting and worrisome. If Disney made this a more adult film and released it under their Touchstone banner I could see it getting justice, but like the 80s film I suspect it'll give us a cross between a "family film" and an adult film.

The biggest problem with that is in the 2010s a "family film" is defined by not having its lead character smoke(let alone showing ducktits)."

No cigar and Seth Green. Never been a fan of Seth Green. Was this part of Disney paying him off for shelving Star Wars Detours?

302350_v1.jpg

*MORE SPOILERS* I loved that fact that we got to see some Celestials & of course Thanos!.....I wished they had showed a little bit more of Ronan destroying the galaxy...he seemed to be kinda inserted in there but Lee Pace did a wonderful job....lots a of charismatic humor, it felt like a reading a good comic book...The collectors shop was cool & of course a lil love to Howard was very cool. I know not a lot of people were keen on his usage but we should be glad we get after the movie scenes like we do....were a spoiled lot I guess.....there was so much going on & so little time....Cosmo the space dog....very cool....it just made me giddy to see that earth isn't the only focal point in the Marvel Universe & that w/this movie doing great, that the possibility of other Universal titles could & should get their shot.....Inhumans, Capt Marvel, Adam Warlock ect ect.....we need Galactus & the Silver Surfer back though.....cmon Disney strong arm those guys.....I read it somewhere else today & its true the plot is one we've all seen before but if one can take that & re-present it in such a spectacular fashion then it can be amazing.....the time flew by & I felt myself wanting to explore other worlds & linger on others.....overall great movie & I'm going w/my gf to see it again this Sunday....she really liked it as well.....there were all kinds of different people at that showing, young & old, every color of the rainbow.....its funny how I felt so alone back when I was a kid reading comics & there were very few if any other kids that I could talk about plot-lines of the Avengers or Xmen.....but now that door is open & damned if the whole world is finally able to see what we knew as kids all those years ago.....that a funnybook can change the way you feel & think about the world around you, it can open the imagination & inspire us to share & love & laugh.....great Soundtrack as well.....references to Kevin Bacon & footloose were hilarious....I felt Bautista did a hellava job that part was his....they all did....I hope they don't sick of playing their characters, cause this could be another Avengers Franchise....If your on the fence go see it w/your kids it was Awesome

MOVIE SPOILERS!

Bold? I have to agree with something said by a fellow poster over on the Indiana Jones forum, The Raven:

"The potential of more Howard The Duck is both exciting and worrisome. If Disney made this a more adult film and released it under their Touchstone banner I could see it getting justice, but like the 80s film I suspect it'll give us a cross between a "family film" and an adult film.

The biggest problem with that is in the 2010s a "family film" is defined by not having its lead character smoke(let alone showing ducktits)."

Oh I'm not going to over think Howard the Duck yet. Not going to worry about whether or not he's back on the canvas. Until further notice, this is just a one-off. I'm fine with one-offs.

its funny how I felt so alone back when I was a kid reading comics & there were very few if any other kids that I could talk about plot-lines of the Avengers or Xmen.....but now that door is open & damned if the whole world is finally able to see what we knew as kids all those years ago.....that a funnybook can change the way you feel & think about the world around you, it can open the imagination & inspire us to share & love & laugh.....great Soundtrack as well.....references to Kevin Bacon & footloose were hilarious....I felt Bautista did a hellava job that part was his....they all did....I hope they don't sick of playing their characters, cause this could be another Avengers Franchise....If your on the fence go see it w/your kids it was Awesome

Good post! And I liked Bautista too. I think guys like him and the Rock are doing a good job of carrying on a Hollywood tradition of big buff guys in action films...like Stalone and Ah-Nud back in the 80s. No one's going to give them an Oscar but they fill the bill for an action movie and do their part to make it enjoyable.

LOVE would be an understatement for this movie. Holy crap Pratt was a find and has stardom written all over him. Reminds me of a young Ryan Reynolds. Nerdy actor turned stud actor. I can't wait to see it again tom after work :)

Draven

Holy crap Pratt was a find

I agree. I think we may be seeing a lot of him...I think he's already in the next Jurassic Park movie.

I picked up the soundtrack to this movie to listen to on a road trip this weekend. I rarely buy soundtracks (A New Hope, Grease, and the 80's Transformers Movie being the exceptions) but this one had some fun tunes on it. I love the way the movie put them to use. I also finished the set of figures (begrudgingly buying an Iron Man I didn't want), but I think it was worth it.

2014-08-10224240_zps42fca30d.jpg

I liked Guardians for the most part...not nearly as good as people are raving, but very enjoyable. Drax was definitely a favorite...sincere and funny. All the characters were well done, and the comedy wasnt forced as I had feared it would be like most Marvel efforts.

I do tend to get bored with come of the overlong special effect sequences, and was a bit disappointed in Ronan the Accuser's demise (dancing joke bit went on too long...c'mon, he's alien to it, but not stupid. Also, thought it would have worked better if some of the other Guardians had danced as well instead of making another joke with their refusal/embarrassment.)

And my single biggest complaint goes towards Disney/Marvel/this overly PC planet we live on...I had hoped the "A-holes" line was just an alternate take for trailers and general audience safety, but that wasn't the case. Violence, Murder, Implied prison rape, black-light semen stains, and cartoon Raccoon nutsack is ok for for the kids, but saying a naughty slang word for human anatomy? YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN GO FOR THE ATTITUDE, IT JUST @##@@ SUCKS.

...but other than that, had a good time. :)

I really loved this movie but it wasn't perfect I had a couple of gripes.

+ They showed Knowhere and the Celestials.

+ Thanos was really good to see I expected a small cameo at best, the fact they showed more was really cool and Josh Brolin nailed it, would have preferred Ron Pearlman but oh well.

+ Seeing more of the Kree, I believed they were first introduced in Agents if Shield but seeing a bit more of them was nice.

+Chris Pratt did really well on the role it's nice to have a loveable space rogue again especially one who doesn't break his leg in the first scene he films.

+Loved the 80s references: the ship called the Milano, Kevin Bacon, John Stamos.etc.

+Nathan Fillion cameo was a speaking role thank God, take that fanboys that wanted him to play Richard Rider. Same thing with Vin Diesel even though Groot was spot on.

+The official introduction of the infinity gems/stones so far we got the Aether(reality), Tesseract(space) and now the Orb(power) with rumors being that Loki's staff from the Avengers is the Mind gem.

+The action and special effects were pretty good I hope JJ Abrams get these guys for Episode Vll.

+The profanity, I'm surprised over how much they were willing to say like sh#t,jacka#$ and the semen joke.

+While Yondu was somewhat different from the comics Michael Rooker was awesome.

+ I don't watch Dr. Who so I'm not familiar with Karen Gillian but I thought she did a good job with Nebula.

+Cosmo appearing was pretty cool as did the chitauri and dark elves in the Collector's ship

+ Really liked Drax, was never fan of Batista as a wrestler but he did a good job, for the interviews he seemed very passionate about the role apparently he even cried when he got the role. He was a highlight to be sure and I think I like him better as an actor than the Rock.

+Everyone got a moment to shine, which is impressive for a superhero team movie a certain franchise has much to learn.

Things I didn't like/nitpicks:

- So many human looking characters especially in the Nova Corps I didn't expect a Jim Henson fest but some more alien looking characters would have been nice.

-Cosmo didn't speak I guess they thought another speaking animal would have been too much.

-While Ronan looked cool(a little Darth Vaderish though) I felt they could have made him more honorable where the audience could see that he's not inherently evil but more strict in the laws of his planet.

-Gamora characterization felt off, in the comics she always came across as more of an anti hero and here she was the most honorable of the group could also be that I'm not a fan of Zoe Saldaña.

-The after credit scene while it was cool to have Howard the Duck I felt they could have done so much more: Either have the Nova Corps impressed with Peter Quill decide to recruit a Terran; enter Richard Rider Nova or the explosion in the Collector's ship activates Adam Warlock's cocoon.

Great movie and good on Marvel for taking obscure characters and making a successful movie maybe franchise since a sequel is coming. I still like Captain America Winter Soldier better so I don't agree with people saying this is the best Marvel Movie yet. I like to touch on some things that have been discussed: the Howard the Duck cameo, James Gunn already said it was done in good fun and not with any significance so everyone thinking that it meant they were gonna make movie don't hold your breath. As for Galactus a couple years ago when Daredevil rights were about to expire Marvel tried to negotiate with Fox that they could keep the rights to DD in exchange for the rights to Galactus they refused, sorry Guitardevil, altought it doesn't bother me that much since my favorite comic book character is back home with a new Netflix series that's coming next year.

+ Really liked Drax, was never fan of Batista as a wrestler but he did a good job, for the interviews he seemed very passionate about the role apparently he even cried when he got the role. He was a highlight to be sure and I think I like him better as an actor than the Rock.

-Cosmo didn't speak I guess they thought another speaking animal would have been too much.

I still like Captain America Winter Soldier better so I don't agree with people saying this is the best Marvel Movie yet.

That's cool about Batista just for the fact that you have someone who's really passionate about getting the job and they got it. I think people like that tend to put their best foot forward. You could have had a big name actor play Drax and while they may have doe a good job, to them it may have been just another part.

I don't know anything about Cosmo. When he showed up, I could assume he was a part of comic continuity at some point and that he was added as an Easter egg or something, that's fine. If he would have talked, it would have lost me just for the reason you said. I'm glad they didn't go that rout.

GOTG as the best Marvel movie yet is debatable but I think just the fact that it IS part of the discussion makes this a big coup for Marvel. When this was first announced you had people balking and calling it a "big gamble" because they were doing a C-list team and not more Avengers (that was always BS, IMO). Now after seeing the final product, you can barely find anyone who didn't enjoy it.

FYI, my top Marvel movie pics are now: Iron Man, Avengers, Cap 2, Guardians.

Bootleg Legends Guardians set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Marvel-Legends-Action-Figures-Wave-1-Set-of-6-Figures-/390909022700?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item5b03fe51ec

$_57.JPG

I bought Rocket and Nova, the must haves for me, yesterday, so im willing to take a chance here. As long as they dont just fall to pieces out of the box, looks ok to me.

Yeah the cast seem very passionate about it, you could tell from last year's SDCC when they flew from filming in London to appear in the panel and that same day they were going back so they could resume filming. Vin Diesel, Karen Gillian, Batista and James Gunn held a live chat from their computers where they answer people's questions about the movie. Both Chris Pratt and James Gunn took to social media on the weekend the movie debuted to thank fans for making the movie a success on its opening weekend, so yeah the cast was passionate about the project. I'm glad people are discussing the movie to the point where they are saying it's better than the Avengers, etxc. Personally I don't agree with that sentiment, but it's a good thing nonetheless especially since when it came to this movie the naysayers far outweighed the optimistic I was one of the optimistic since I loved the 2008 Guardians comic and Marvel has a good track record. As for Cosmo who doesn't love a talking dog who's also a Russian cosmonaut and has psionic powers?

2657582-cosmo_annihilators_earthfall_1_happy.jpg

1201213-dog_and_raccoon.jpg

Besides this open the doors for Zack Snyder to include Krypto in a future Superman movie.