The Wire

"The Flash" Discussion Thread

...and for every fan of the original series who followed it through all CBSs schedule changes, endless sports preemptions, and breaking news bulletins on everything from the Gulf War to President Bush up-chucking on some Chinese official; for the entire original cast who worked so hard making it, including Shipp, Pays, Desert, Genovese, Ambrosio, Manard, Bernard, Hamill, and even Belzer; I hope this new show runs twenty years. I figure us Flash fans deserve a second chance for a hit show.

Oh, and for sweeps I'm looking for at least one multi-episode cross-over with Arrow. Just sayin'.

CW orders the Flash to series!

Have you seen the other crap on the CW (and by that I mean anything that's NOT Arrow)? This is a no-brainer.

Now that we know the Flash is happening, we can get down to the important business of unfounded guess-work as to who's who, what's what, and just generally what the show will be like.

First question on the block (for me at least), "Who is John Wesley Shipp playing?" I've got it narrowed down to a couple of possibilities.

A. Henry Allen: Barry's dad as seen through . . . ahem . . . flashbacks ala Oliver on the island.

B. Professor Zoom (or some variation thereof): The mystery figure Barry saw at his father's murder and therefore the Merlinesque big bad of the season.

I figure those two are the best bets. However . . .

C. Jay Garrick: I've heard a few people toss this around, but I don't like it. The idea of a previous Flash kinda goes against the notion that heroes and meta-humans are something new in the Arrow universe (so far as we know).

My favorite notion, and a total darkhorse in that it will NEVER HAPPEN is that John Wesley Shipp plays . . .

D. Barry Allen / The Flash: Shipp would bounce around for a few episodes as a mystery man with similar powers, mentoring Barry, before a sweeps reveal that he IS Barry albeit from another time/universe. Maybe he was the mystery figure Barry saw back in the day, sort of a nod to the Flashpoint storyline with Future-Barry coming back through time to save his father, but having failed.

Looks like John Wesley Shipp will be playing Henry Allen, Barry's ill-fated father come the fall. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but this is still the show I'm looking forward to more than any other.

(Yes, even more than NCIS: Gotham ;) )

http://enewsi.com/television/191-26836.html

Looks like Robbie Amell (cousin of Stephen) is now going to be playing the recurring role of . . . Ronnie Raymond. That's right kids, one half of Firestorm, oh, and Felicity's step-son in the comics. That should make for an interesting sweeps crossover.

Did I mention I already love this show?

http://enewsi.com/news.php?itemid=27197.html

It's starting to feel like waking up Christmas morning and finding out you got EVERYTHING you wanted.

Not that I would dare ask anything more from a show giving me so much, but if they could throw in guest-spots for Biff Manard, Vito D'Ambrosio, Mike Genovese, Alex Désert and Richard Belzer; that would be money in the Christmas card to boot.

Did I mention I already love this show?

http://enewsi.com/news.php?itemid=27197.html

It's starting to feel like waking up Christmas morning and finding out you got EVERYTHING you wanted.

Not that I would dare ask anything more from a show giving me so much, but if they could throw in guest-spots for Biff Manard, Vito D'Ambrosio, Mike Genovese, Alex Désert and Richard Belzer; that would be money in the Christmas card to boot.

I love Amanda Pays...great casting!

I've saw the first episode @ SDCC. Twas good. And then on the way home I saw Tom Cavanaugh at the airport. He was dressed really non-descript hat pulled over his eyes, he was the last person to board his plane.

Quick thoughts on the Flash:

When JWS first walked onto the screen I was back 23 years ago, watching the coolest superhero show ever. THAT was a cool feeling.

Happy Arrow looks weird! Is that how he's gonna be this year?

Pointless ethnicity swaps are still lame, but Candice Patton Iris is way cuter than Paula Marshall Iris. (What do you want? This ain't radio.)

Dude, they mentioned the Crisis! That's a first for DC live action!

Tuesdays are gonna be fun!

Good stuff.

It definitely had the origin story kind of feel in that it was good but a lot of it seemed like stuff you had to sit through just for the sake of setting up the series. But that's OK. It definitely got more interesting toward the end when they broke out the Flash suit and the wheel chair guy was in his secret room looking at the Crisis newspaper from 2024 (which begs the questions will this show go 10 seasons and do they really believe newspapers will be around in 10 years?)

When DC movies try to turn all their characters dark and brooding, I have a feeling I'll be looking to this show as a reminder that you don't HAVE to go that rout to be entertaining. The meet up with Green Arrow was good, not forced, and I liked that GA even cracked a smile. I have a feeling you're not going to see that on Snyder's Batman (or Superman or Wonder Woman).

It's pointless getting worked up over race swapping anymore. It's here to stay. Movies, TV shows, it's not going anywhere so just accept it. Did they hire a capable actor for the part? That's all I care about.

As I stated before I was never much of a Barry guy so I can't go through a laundry list of classic stuff that I'd like to see make it into the show (I know he had a treadmill at one point. Maybe that?) Just give me a good superhero show and I'll be around!

This was really good I liked it a lot. There were a few nitpicks especially at the beginning with the origin story which felt like I was watching the first Raimi Spider Man not that it was a bad thing but it was a little off putting. There were also the fact that his mask came off during the battle although that's a trend in superhero adaptations but sheesh this is only the pilot and 4 people already know his identity one of them being the new 52 version of Killer Frost(don't know if they are gonna follow up on that). It's a shame they got rid of Weather Wizard in the pilot I know keeping someone with weathers powers contained can be difficult but man don't outright kill him but again these are not dealbreakers just minor things that bothered me. At the beginning I was bothered they went with such a young guy but he's growing on me it's part of being in the CW either teenagers or underwear models get cast as leads. I'm not bothered that much on the race change I mean I don't love it but you can say I'm numb to it at this point plus they are using one of my favorite actors from Law and Order. I loved the Grodd reference if they have the balls to have a talking gorilla fight Flash I'm gonna blow my gasket. It was so awesome watching John Wesley Shipp appear on the show having the protagonist of the best live DC adaptation was a great addition. The special effects were really good especially for TV hopefully they have a good budget for it and they don't cheapen out as the series move forward. It was so great to have a lighter tone on the show finally WB stopped applying the Batman Begins formula to their superhero adaptations, overall a good start to a promising series much better than Gotham, I'll keep tuning in every Tuesday.

I usually try and ignore the numbers (mainly because my favorite shows are usually the ones that tank), but I do love it when a great show gets its due.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/ratings-flash-hits-ground-running-cws-best-debut-151717511.html

Welcome to the first step toward vindication.

Good to hear.

I usually try and ignore the numbers (mainly because my favorite shows are usually the ones that tank), but I do love it when a great show gets its due.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/ratings-flash-hits-ground-running-cws-best-debut-151717511.html

Welcome to the first step toward vindication.

Good to hear.

MMMM YEAH! Run Barry! RUN!

PS-I saw pictures of Barry fighting Reverse Flash online and died instantly.

Good stuff.

It definitely had the origin story kind of feel in that it was good but a lot of it seemed like stuff you had to sit through just for the sake of setting up the series. But that's OK. It definitely got more interesting toward the end when they broke out the Flash suit and the wheel chair guy was in his secret room looking at the Crisis newspaper from 2024 (which begs the questions will this show go 10 seasons and do they really believe newspapers will be around in 10 years?)

When DC movies try to turn all their characters dark and brooding, I have a feeling I'll be looking to this show as a reminder that you don't HAVE to go that rout to be entertaining. The meet up with Green Arrow was good, not forced, and I liked that GA even cracked a smile. I have a feeling you're not going to see that on Snyder's Batman (or Superman or Wonder Woman).

It's pointless getting worked up over race swapping anymore. It's here to stay. Movies, TV shows, it's not going anywhere so just accept it. Did they hire a capable actor for the part? That's all I care about.

As I stated before I was never much of a Barry guy so I can't go through a laundry list of classic stuff that I'd like to see make it into the show (I know he had a treadmill at one point. Maybe that?) Just give me a good superhero show and I'll be around!

The only beef I have with race swapping is if and when they bring Wally into the series. Part of me is not looking forward to that. I really hope that they'll prove me wrong. I really do.