5 p.o.a. figures: Can they get a pass?

yojoebro82

I'll start this by saying I just spotted the new Saga Legends at K-mart. Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, an astromech, and a couple of clones.

My knee jerk reaction to all these limited articulation figures is to denounce them as the devolution of action figures. If you're one that likes to display your figures contorted onto any kind of weird position imaginable, they are definitely not for you.

However, I'm wondering if these don't get a pass, from me at least, especially considering my fondness for POTF2 figures which have the same articulation. How can I say I like one and poo-poo the other? Particularly when you consider the figures today are the same price as the POTF2 figures, both $6. In a way, the price hasn't gone up in 16-some years. I also think these's a small amount of charm and nostalgia to be had from stuff like this. I think they'd display pretty well with your vintage figures (even the leg articulation-such as it is-is the same with guys wearing robes/skirts).

Some of you hear me say stuff like "charm" and "nostalgia" and say, "Screw that, give me 14 POA!!!" and that's fine. I'm probably not getting much either way because I'm all but done with SW.

Just don't pull this stuff with GI Joe.

That's why I guess I waited so long for the 6" line, I grew out of the 3 3/4 line & I'll admit I bought some stuff here and there. I woulda prolly bought more if I had snagged up the newer version of Millenium Falcon.....I really wanted the AT-AT as well but I only have a handful of SW figs so I'll prolly Stay away from Nostalgia for this line but the Black 6" line is definitely is going to get my $ fo-show....I do dig the gentle giant figs though....

they can't get a pass with me. I never LOVED SW figures because I was too little when the original stuff came out (born in 79).. I had a few figures though, and my brother had a bunch too. I remember getting Jedi Luke and losing his lightsaber in the grass.. I was devastated.

but I was much more into Joes because they were such better toys.

and Hasbro has been making Starwars since what? 1995? during that time, they should have adopted the same construction and articulation that they gave to Joes... now StarWars are soo far behind everything else on the pegs.. I hate them ! lol

I started collecting SW in 95 and kept on for a while, I mean I do have hundreds of figures MOC.. but they are just so boring. I have never even been tempted to start collecting SW again.

If they decided to start over the entire SW collection with the same construction that Joes and MU figures have, or even their Marvel Movie figures have.. I would be on board for every figure. That is exactly what they should have done with the Black series.

until then, I will be collecting the 6 inchers

I think it depends on which characters are made. Now the primary characters, no question, they can't be the simplified ones. Some characters just demand that kind of articulation; Jedi, clones/stormtroopers, etc. If we were to say that we were going back to the POTJ era, that might be acceptable, as long as the mold quality is as good as that, but less of the static action poses. Something more along the lines of a "ready" pose vice a generic "standing at attention" pose.

Just my 2 cents.

I grew up w/ the vintage figures, and looked forward to POTF2 (6 points of articulation!); but, I have no interest in going back to 5/6 poa (straight arm blasters/lightsabers, ugh) If the cheaper figs bring in new kids, cool, just keep the 'standard' figs for me.(even if they are $10 @hmmm@ )

While I wouldn't say they'd get a pass from me, I think maybe Hasbro has the right idea. These figures (atleast from the pictures) look decent enough for a child to play with. But as an adult collector, the POA that we get from other lines and even other SW figures has spoiled me.

If there were big, gaping holes in the super articulated line as far as main characters go, then there'd be more cause for alarm. But there aren't. They've all been done. Between the "Vintage" line and even the Saga Legends before that, they've all been done. They could try anything with the 3 3/4" line at this point and it wouldn't be a big deal.

Yes, they will get a pass from me...when I pass them right up in the toy aisle. (lol)

No seriously...I would be more interested if these were sculpted to look like old Kenner figures. For example, I'd be all over figures from the prequels that were modeled or sculpted to look like they were made back in 1979. That would be all kinds of awesome. As they are, I'll have to reserve judgment for when I see them in person, because although like many of you, I can appreciate the resemblance to old POTF2 figures, but I've got an itching feeling these are nowhere near the same in terms of paint and plastic quality as Kenner/Hasbro's older figures.

Yes, they will get a pass from me...when I pass them right up in the toy aisle. (lol)

No seriously...I would be more interested if these were sculpted to look like old Kenner figures. For example, I'd be all over figures from the prequels that were modeled or sculpted to look like they were made back in 1979. That would be all kinds of awesome. As they are, I'll have to reserve judgment for when I see them in person, because although like many of you, I can appreciate the resemblance to old POTF2 figures, but I've got an itching feeling these are nowhere near the same in terms of paint and plastic quality as Kenner/Hasbro's older figures.

Classic figs from the other trilogies? that's an weird & cool idea........I wonder how well this line is going to do....I'm passing on the 3 3/4's too cause the bigger line is just so awesome looking....can't wait till those come, but I'll be broke as H.....this little mini-sale for MOTUC at Big L's is killing my budgie....

They look horrible to me. As if they had a stick up there a.. I doubt this will go far. Kids are allready used to great articulations with the actual figures so why go back. Some collectors will get some but it will die rather fast. Same goes for marvel. I doubt these awefull wolverine figures sold well. We have plenty of mattels dark knight rises figures left. So manny that superman didnt got a chance at retail.

Hey, I'll be honest here...I suspect they will come across as cheap dollar-store versions of Star Wars figures, but that may not be a bad thing necessarily. They may be mildy appealing in a kinda-cool, knock-off sort of way. In that sense I might be interested, but again I'll have to reserve final judgment for when I actually see them in person.

How much were they supposed to retail for? & how many figs did they have planned? if you already mentioned this previously, I'm sorry I'm just too lazy to scroll up.......