Met Sgt. Slaughter today

RobbieDigital

So I saw on Facebook that the one and only Sgt. Slaughter was making an appearance at the Delaware State Fair with the National Guard. I'm in Delaware so I made the 45 minute drive to the fair pretty much just for the Sarge.....and it was awesome. He signed my copy of GI Joe the movie and my GI Joe: Ultimate Guide.....he talked to me for a good 10 minutes about Joe and took some pics with me....thing is I wore my Cobra Commander shirt and after the 1st pic we took....he threw me in the "Cobra Clutch" saying "and this is for wearing a Cobra shirt" "YO JOE!!!" in full on Slaughter voice....it was awesome. I've always been a big Slaughter fan....but I know some fans aren't too hot on him as a character...but he obviously loves being a Joe and was all about it.

That is pretty awesome. I would happily drive 45 min to see the Sarge. That's great that he was so willing to talk GI Joe with you. The closest story I have to that would be meeting original GI Joe comic artist Herb Trimpe who was more than happy to reminis (sp) about the early days of the comic with me.

I really wish the Sarge would make it into a movie. Even a cameo would be sweet!

Yeah, I met Trimpe last year at the Baltimore Comic-Con......I asked him for a Snake-eyes sketch, and it seemed like it took him a minute....I was like "You remember Snake-eyes right?" (Everybody in line wanted Wolverines from him) I think I threw him for a loop......but he whipped up a pretty cool Snake-eyes sketch for me after he said "Of course I remember Snake-eyes" it was pretty funny.

Both were a million times better than my Larry Hama experience.....but thats a story for another day.

• 2 weeks later...
Both were a million times better than my Larry Hama experience.....but thats a story for another day.

I'd like to read that story bro!! I'd love to meet Rod Whigham, IMHO, the best GI JOE artist there ever was!!! Everyone looked how they were supposed to, each Joe was different!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to read that story bro!! I'd love to meet Rod Whigham, IMHO, the best GI JOE artist there ever was!!! Everyone looked how they were supposed to, each Joe was different!!

I saw Hama at last years Baltimore Comic-Con........I went on Sunday and was one of the 1st people in the door......I went directly to where his table was and talked to him/shook his hand/"Huge Joe fan" and all that crap. He was doing sketches when I walked up to the table.....plus he had like 5-10 sitting on his table. He told me he would put me on his list......and the ones on the table were from the day before. I'm a big Barbecue fan....one of my personal favorite characters.....so I asked if he could do a Barbecue sketch....he laughed and said "Sure, did you know that I named him after one of my ex-girlfriends?" "I dated a girl named Gabriel a long time ago" ......which I thought was hilarious. So he put me on his list......I think I was number 36-37 or something like that....but the list carried over from the day before....I think he was on sketch 25 or something like that when I talked to him. I'm not one to really kiss ass....because I'm sure he's heard every fricken GI Joe story under the moon.....I did tell him that I'm sure GI Joe had some influence on me joining the military.......anyway......so I left his table to hit the rest of the con.

Throughout the day I kept running past his booth......he was there some of the time....walking away other times.......so about an hour out of the Con ending I ran by his booth and saw that he was only on like #34 on his sketch list.......and he had like 2 sketches left on the table....one was a Scrap-Iron and the other was a pretty sweet Commando Snake-eyes.....I asked him "I guess you're not going to get to #37 huh" and he kinda laughed and said "probably not" and then I asked "If no one comes to claim either of these by shows end can I snag one of these?" He said "Sure".......so I walk away for a little and come back.....and some dude was there just hanging around his booth for like the last 30 minutes.......I was near his booth but I didn't want to hover you know? Plus I figured Larry knew I wanted a sketch.....would hook me up with one for not being able to get to the one I requested right??

So I go back to the booth like 10 minutes before the show ends......I ask "So is that Snake-eyes still up for grabs?" Larry goes "No, its his" and points to the guy that was standing at his booth for the past 30 minutes......who mind you...already got a sketch earlier in the day from him!!!!

I was respectful but I said "Really?! You couldn't get to mine and I waited and even asked you if I could get one since you couldn't get to my Barbecue and he already has one from you?!!"

Here I was hoping the comic/Joe God that Hama is....would have been like "No, you already have one and he's been by my booth 4-5 times today, its only fair" but he didn't he was taking 25 bucks from the other Joe nerd while I was asking what I said above......Hama just shrugged his shoulders and made sure he had 25 bucks in his hand and walked out.

Other Joe nerd just laughed in my face............

I did get a Snake-eyes from Herb Trimpe at that same show.....and he was a million times more personable than Hama......I did get Joe #1 signed by both of them though......

Heh, I love your pic with Slaughter, Robbie. It just seems to perfectly sum up the ideal fan experience...meeting a childhood hero that seems to enjoy the property as much as the fans do, and having fun with it. That's awesome. The Sarge is looking better than I would have expected, incidentally. He seems to have aged well...

Man, that sucks about Larry Hama. Personally I would much rather have a sketch from Herb Trimpe anyway. I didn't realize Hama did sketches. Is he any good? I also love Rod Whigham, but do you know who I'd love to see draw G.I. Joe? Jim Lee and/or George Perez. Jim Lee I think would do awesome single character sketches and drawings, but George Perez does outstanding work on large casts with great attention to detail, so he'd be ideal for G.I. Joe in my mind. For old time's sake though, I'd love to have a sketch done by Herb Trimpe.

Heh, I love your pic with Slaughter, Robbie. It just seems to perfectly sum up the ideal fan experience...meeting a childhood hero that seems to enjoy the property as much as the fans do, and having fun with it. That's awesome. The Sarge is looking better than I would have expected, incidentally. He seems to have aged well...

Yeah, I've met a bunch of wrestlers and quasi-celebrities at cons......and you can always tell when they really don't care and are just going through the paces.....my 10-15 minutes with Slaughter let me know he really loved being a part of the property and respects it. He had a big smile when I came up to him with my Joe stuff......he was a little hunched over but he's still a mountain of a man......I'm 6' 1" just to give you some scale to Slaughters height.......plus his hand is bigger than my head....

Man, that sucks about Larry Hama. Personally I would much rather have a sketch from Herb Trimpe anyway. I didn't realize Hama did sketches. Is he any good? I also love Rod Whigham, but do you know who I'd love to see draw G.I. Joe? Jim Lee and/or George Perez. Jim Lee I think would do awesome single character sketches and drawings, but George Perez does outstanding work on large casts with great attention to detail, so he'd be ideal for G.I. Joe in my mind. or old time's sake though, I'd love to have a sketch done by Herb Trimpe.

Hama's sketches were hit and miss......they were all pretty good...but you can tell who he loves to draw....most of his Snake-eyes ones were pretty awesome and in depth.....they were all full torso shots too, pretty much ended at the knees.....Trimpe was at an ACTOR signing (the charity for down and out comic creators) and he was just charging a donation for one of his sketches.

I have a Jim Lee Batman that he did for me awhile back......its just a headshot but its still one of my prized possessions......he whipped it up in like 2 seconds.....anybody that goes to Cons and doesn't hit up artist alley is really missing out.....this past Philly I met Joe Del Beato who did a lot of the card art for the 90's Joe trading card set....he had a ton of sketches from his 90's GI Joe work......