Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Nguyen_Dragon

"OOOOOOOH!....OOOOOH!!"

"OH SHIII....!!!"

That's an expected response from a crowd that's spending a day totally immersed in SDCC. That's not a knock against the crowd, it's just the way it is. With the fanboy sensory overload of movie stars, product, and media and with the creators sitting right their, people will geek out, forgive the Affleck casting, forget that MOS wasn't all that great, and for a little while just be happy to see Supes and Bats together for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly expected result. WB always had way more to lose if it went head-to-head with Captain America 3. After a D-List Marvel team cranked out one of the highest-grossing opening weekends of the year, it's clear the Marvel Brand is a juggernaut right now. While Bvs:DoJ might have ended up making more than CA3 on an opening weekend, the two audiences would've cannibalized each other to the point that both films likely would have underperformed. The difference being that Marvel films tend to hold pretty well, and Marvel can afford to have one film underperform as their brand is already strong and would continue with its' current plans. Whereas if BvS underperforms it threatens all of WB's Justice League-flavored plans for the future.

They moved the film to another "hit maker" release date so they've still got confidence in the film, though it is interesting that they pulled it out of the Summer season altogether. Still, now WB gets their product out first (for that particular year) and has a "clear" weekend. Probably the best decision WB could have made, all things considered, even if they'll lose out on the summer-season teenager crowds during the weekdays..

Marvel can afford to have one film underperform as their brand is already strong and would continue with its' current plans. Whereas if BvS underperforms it threatens all of WB's Justice League-flavored plans for the future.

Good point.

Even WB knows that Marvel has them beat at the movies. This is not news to anyone. At this point, I believe Marvel's got nothing to prove at the box office. Like you said, they can take GOTG and get non-comic nerds talking. That's quite a feat. That said, I really don't care about stuff like release dates or how much gross profit a movie makes world wide. It all comes down to the final product. Is the movie good? After that, nothing else matters.

I'm skeptical about Dawn of Justice but I'm going to see it. And I'm going to see Cap 3. If they came out on the same weekend I'd probably have found time for both.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to take internet "news" with a grain of salt, but a "No Jokes" policy???

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137074-warner-bros-no-jokes-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

This CAN'T be true....right? I mean, the MOS movie was entirely humorless, the Nolan Batmans probably had one "heh-heh" moment per film, but I assumed at some point DC movies (IF they get made) would break down and show SOME joy and humor in men fighting in colorful costumes.

But, according to this article, THIS is how they're going to choose to set themselves apart from Marvel at the movies??? Ugh!

You have to take internet "news" with a grain of salt, but a "No Jokes" policy???

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137074-warner-bros-no-jokes-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

This CAN'T be true....right? I mean, the MOS movie was entirely humorless, the Nolan Batmans probably had one "heh-heh" moment per film, but I assumed at some point DC movies (IF they get made) would break down and show SOME joy and humor in men fighting in colorful costumes.

But, according to this article, THIS is how they're going to choose to set themselves apart from Marvel at the movies??? Ugh!

Well, one of my biggest complaints with most Marvel movies is forced, flat, or lazy humor. Maybe DC is looking for a balance of natural charm or organic comedy in small doses that arise from good writing and performances? Nah...probably just more of the same joyless, dour brooding.

The absurdity of Zack Snyder's action sequences is enough comedy for most.

Well, one of my biggest complaints with most Marvel movies is forced, flat, or lazy humor.

Maybe DC is looking for a balance of natural charm or organic comedy in small doses that arise from good writing and performances?

Yeah I know you think so but I enjoy the Marvel humor. I don't think it's forced, flat, or lazy. Does everything go over well 100% of the time? No. But the attempt is made, at least.

And if they're looking for that balance of charm and organic comedy, as you say, then they should have said that. All I read in that article was "no humor". Yawn.

Anyway...what do I care. Arrow and Flash are starting soon!

I have no problem with this, both studios are doing their own thing as long as the movies are entertaining I don't mind the route they take, it's sort of like the comic book some books are dark, gritty and realistic and others are lighthearted and humorous. I'll take both approaches when I feel like laughing, being optimistic and have a good time I'll watch a Marvel Studios movie when I feel like brooding, pessimistic, serious and entertaining I'll watch WB/DC movie. For the record in Man of Steel the lack of humor didn't bother me as much as douchy Superman destroying government property while proclaiming I'll protect you but I'll do it on my way. As for Arrow and Flash there's a good chance that they'll have humor since apparently they'll have no connection with the cinematic universe.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Rock is confirmed for Black Adam.

Also...here's a fun article:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-dc-comics-has-no-clue-how-to-make-superhero-movies/

I'm fine with the Rock but I had to chuckle when I read they're going to do a Shazam movie. Believe it when I see it.

#1 from that article said all there needs to be said. I'd be all for DC selling Superman to Marvel. Seriously. I read Snyder's comments about the Reeve Superman a while ago but it's such a great illustration of how completely out of touch he is with regards to the characters, which actually makes him and DC a perfect fit.

And this quote is great:

"And DC Comics, we don't need you invoking 9/11 in a *&^%ing Superman film. We need a dose of optimism, and you need to stop getting your asses handed to you by a raccoon nobody knew the name of three months ago."

I think a Shazam moive could really work if done right since you know kid becomes super powered hero it's like every kid's fantasy, that said if there is one movie in which WB needs to embrace a light hearted, optimistic approach in my opinion is this one. I'm more optimistic about a Shazam movie than I am about the Supergirl series they are apparently planning somehow I feel that one won't work.

Here's the official, much cleaner image

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/update-heres-the-official-new-batmobile-97143958282.html

Much is already being made of the twin machine guns mounted to the front of the car. We all know Batman doesn't kill and this would initially seem to be more ammo for use against Snyder. But, well, I hate to point this out but.......

133156-222702-Batmobilemachinegunsjpg-620x_zpsd6beb42a.jpg

We'll just let Kevin Smith explain to us why this is OK.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/update-heres-the-official-new-batmobile-97143958282.html

Much is already being made of the twin machine guns mounted to the front of the car.

To these people I impart a bit of wisdom passed down to me many years ago. ". . . Repeat to yourself it's just a show, you should really just relax . . . " I only hope it serves them as well as it has me.

https://www.yahoo.co...7143958282.html

Much is already being made of the twin machine guns mounted to the front of the car. We all know Batman doesn't kill and this would initially seem to be more ammo for use against Snyder. But, well, I hate to point this out but.......

133156-222702-Batmobilemachinegunsjpg-620x_zpsd6beb42a.jpg

We'll just let Kevin Smith explain to us why this is OK.

And yet this remains my favorite version of the Batmobile, there was a mysticism and mystery to it that fit the character and tone, it's much better than the Hummer they are passing as a Batmobile nowadays.

And yet this remains my favorite version of the Batmobile,

Absolutely, mine too, guns or no guns, I have the Kenner version sitting right above my computer at work.

SHOULD there have been machine guns on the Keaton version? Probably not. But that doesn't change what I think about it.

I'm just saying those that get on Snyder's case (which includes me) aren't going to be able to get on him over this one.