Why I Thought Man Of Steel Was Not A Great Movie

The Wire

I finally was able to see this film and ....

I enjoyed it. My wife never really saw an origin story for Supes, so this kept her attention the whole way. = 2 points!

As far as any complaints that "The Wire" had, I think this sums up what I'm thinking. Take it away, Mongoose.

I disagree with most of it, and this is coming from someone who dislikes Superman and Zack Snyder.

Problem 1: The Kyptonians are married to tradition. It doesn't matter if the planet was doomed or not, sending them to the Phantom Zone was THE punishment for the crime. It's the way things are done, so that's what they'll do.

Problem 2 and 10: These are more of a problem with the source material. It's the way it is in the film because that's the way it is in the comics. Unless you want to give Superman a mask, there's no way that his identity could EVER be a secret, especially in today's world of cameras and facial recognition software. I agree that it's stupid, but it's what Snyder and the writers had to work with. If they had given Supes a mask, the fanboys would have a fit, even if it is more realistic.

Problem 3: It fits the character in the movie. Perry White being black doesn't fit his traditional character either. Snyder changed up the characters a bit so it isn't the same Superman story we've been given over and over again.

Problem 4: I do agree on this one. Would anyone let a loved one die like this if you had the power to save them?

Problem 5: The suits protect them from the atmosphere. It never says it stops the solar radiation.

Problem 6: He's not trained as a fighter, but he's lived with these powers most of his life, so he knows how to use them better than Zod. Plus, it's a Superman film, so Superman has to win. That's just how these things work.

Problem 7: There have been people who have survived plane crashes. People are found alive in the rubble of collapsed buildings all the time. It's not impossible that people can survive a collapse if they're not directly under it.

Problem 8: It's been scientifically proven that created black holes disappear rather quickly. It wouldn't have sufficient mass to remain open indefinitely. I would likely cause some additional damage to Metropolis, but that's better than Earth being terraformed.

Problem 9: Really? Nitpicking the direction of the neck twist? If we're going to nitpick crap like this, then The Dark Knight is a horrible film.

Overall, I thought this was a really good film. Much better than I anticipated, and much better than the other DC film, the Batman trilogy included.

Now I'm waiting for the sequel and from what I'm hearing, I won't have to wait long.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking about the school bus scene and when Pa Kent was talking to Clark, I dont think he said maybe in answer to Clark's question. If you listen, he's starting his own sentence and starting it with maybe... then he pauses, then continues the rest of his sentence.

"Maybe... you weren't blah blah blah".

After thinking about the school bus scene and when Pa Kent was talking to Clark, I dont think he said maybe in answer to Clark's question. If you listen, he's starting his own sentence and starting it with maybe... then he pauses, then continues the rest of his sentence.

"Maybe... you weren't blah blah blah".

It is the response of every protective father. The bottom line of Pa Kent's message was "sacrifice is what is needed." He was over protective. That doesn't make him wrong.

Now I'm waiting for the sequel and from what I'm hearing, I won't have to wait long.

Monsters U and World War Z topple Man of Steel...

http://www.ign.com/a...-the-box-office

Is your post supposed to be relevant to what Capt. Wiseman posted?

Because it's not. WB announced the sequel for Man of Steel was going into immediate development the day before the film even opened in theaters, with Snyder directing and Goyer writing.

http://www.deadline....avid-s-goyer%2F

Rumor has it they want to get it out as early as next year, with a Justice League film hitting in 2015...running head-to-head with Avengers 2. Though that seems unlikely unless they start filming ASAP (or conversely pulled a "Donner" and actually filmed significant chunks of a sequel already without folks knowing about it).

As far as the seemingly premature sequel announcement, it may be worth noting that the film made $170 million in commercial deals and endorsements before it was even released.

http://uk.movies.yah...-100906092.html

Losing the #1 spot to MU and WWZ isn't surprising in the least. Both films they cut directly and deeply into core audience segments for Man of Steel (Kids/families and teenage males respectively). Even so, by this point, between worldwide grosses and the aforementioned commercial/endorsement proceeds, Man of Steel is already turning a profit for WB even when you include marketing costs. It's an unqualified success, and by comparison has already exceeded the worldwide gross of Superman Returns and Batman Begins (though adjusted for inflation it won't truly exceed those two films in terms of grosses until the end of this week, most likely).

Redlettermedia's Half in the Bag reviews Man of Steel...

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-man-of-steel/

...spoiler: They hated it!

Yeah, every time I want to write more about why I didn't like this movie I see a review like this that just nails it and I think, "Why bother"?

They're right about everything. Especially about Iron Man 3 being more enjoyable (get over Mandarin, people) and Superman Returns looking GOOD in comparison. Correct, correct!

yeah, especially when they try to present reviews to us in an entertaining manner. I cant match or top that, so i'll save my breath. Spot on.

I really really really agree with Mike's cutting assessment of the types of people that like these kinds of movies for all the wrong reasons. A bit cruel maybe, but grounded in truth (around the 30:27 mark)

"Does this guy know that it’s not the 1970s anymore? Special fx that go on for 2 ½ hrs , and loud noises, are satisfying and more engaging. So many more things happening on the screen. So much action…and explosions. That was stupid at the end when Superman crushes his hand…that was boring. Did you see how many buildings fell down?"

Y'know, as much as I enjoyed this movie (although at times I do think they tried a little too hard-it took itself waaay too seriously), it has suddenly occurred to me that I don't recall any Zack Snyder signature slow-mo sequences, and a character as grandiose, dramatic, and powerful as Superman could have used a few. Fort example, I remember thinking the part where Superman flies really fast at Zod and punches him a couple of times in mid air, knocking him further away each time, looked a little fake. It just seems like the faster CG images move the more fake they tend to look, at least to me. But maybe I'm just nit-picking...

One of the things I thought was spot-on was their portrayal of Zod; it made complete sense to paint him as some misguided war-monger whose sole purpose was the survival and preservation of Krypton by any means necessary. It lends a little more credence to the character and gave him more dimension instead of him simply being a Kryptonian criminal bent on revenge and world domination. I just wish his cohorts didn't seem so generic.

The reason people have as you call it rose colored glasses is i believe because back when it was made they did things never done before. No one had really flown in a movie so with no computer FX they made reeves fly and look believeable. And reeves really embodied everything that superman was from the comics to the radio skits. He took clark and superman off the page and moving on screen bigger than life. Even though the stories may have lacked some meat it was well acted and captured superman.

In part one and 2 there are holes and things could have been done different but there still classic movies. Now a days we have all this CGI and special FX we expect so much more from these movies than we did once upon a time. I do agree Man of steel was not great block buster. it was an ok superman movie. It was no avengers that was a monster of a movie with all elements working as they should. Acting great story for that group. CGI was put in well. directed well. just everything that DC can not seem to do.

My biggest thing was this man of still did not feel grounded in reality. I felt like i was watching a SC FI movie. To much going on at times in the fights and all the devishtation was to much. I maybe just seeing this differently. It was just very everything we have seen.

1011127_554974207877026_1196168562_n.jpg

Superman: "So you guys actually saved civilian lives in your final battle?"

Avengers: "Yeah, because we're superheroes. That's what we do. How many people did you save?"

Superman: "Um.......Lois Lane."

Avengers: "Oh, well, good.....job...(?) How many didn't you save?"

Superman: "................11,000............"

The reason people have as you call it rose colored glasses is i believe because back when it was made they did things never done before. No one had really flown in a movie so with no computer FX they made reeves fly and look believeable. And reeves really embodied everything that superman was from the comics to the radio skits. He took clark and superman off the page and moving on screen bigger than life. Even though the stories may have lacked some meat it was well acted and captured superman.

In part one and 2 there are holes and things could have been done different but there still classic movies. Now a days we have all this CGI and special FX we expect so much more from these movies than we did once upon a time. I do agree Man of steel was not great block buster. it was an ok superman movie. It was no avengers that was a monster of a movie with all elements working as they should. Acting great story for that group. CGI was put in well. directed well. just everything that DC can not seem to do.

My biggest thing was this man of still did not feel grounded in reality. I felt like i was watching a SC FI movie. To much going on at times in the fights and all the devishtation was to much. I maybe just seeing this differently. It was just very everything we have seen.

I'll be the first to say the first two Superman movies were not perfect. The endings for both 1 and 2 (of the Donner cut) were total cop outs. But between the beginning and end, they gave you everything Man of Steel didn't (unless you count falling buildings).

There was humor and heart in the originals that this movie lacked completely. I think the main thing that took away from this movie's ability to incorporate that was their choice to have almost no Clark Kent secret ID. A little bit at the end, sure. But it almost seemed like and afterthought. Something they were reluctant to do because it just wasn't "realistic" enough but they knew it was such a big part of Superman, they couldn't overlook it no matter how much they wanted to. This could have shown us the great contrast between the two characters, this is where you have a lot of opportunities for humor and human interaction. Sure, Clark interacted with Ma and Pa and Lois. But what about other people's reaction to him and the fact that he's such and odd ball? Also, we had a great opportunity to be shown on screen Clark and his practice of being odd and clumsy to disguise the fact that he's the most powerful, charismatic guy on earth. I want to see Clark practicing slouching, walking awkwardly, changing up his voice and stuttering. To pull off that secret ID must take a lot of practice. It would be great to see that on film.

Speaking of things not "realistic" enough for the final cut, I'm sure that elements of Superman such as "leap tall buildings in a single bound", "More powerful than a locomotive", "Truth, justice and the American way" weren't even considered for being part of this movie and that's too bad. Yes, they're old cleches but it's part of who the character is. Why do I get the feeling that a Marvel movie could have incorporated these things with subtly and wit? You know what would have been a really good after-credits scene? Superman flying through the city and hearing a little girl cry that her cat is in a tree and we see him getting it down.

Even though Lois and Supes kissed, there was no romance in this movie. "Then why did they kiss at the end?", you may ask. Good question. I'm not asking for a flight scene with Amy Adams reciting a Superman love poem in her head (that was a bit too cheesy for me in the first movie), but give us SOME kind of spark between the two (This would be hard to find the time for, I guess when they have to show the long, slow destruction of two cities).

Zod was OK, I'll give you that. His competition was stiff because I loved Stamp's Zod and also Calum Blue's Zod (for those that haven't seen Smallville season 9, he really is a scene stealer!) The moment I felt just a little something for him was right at the end when he explains he was CREATED to put the best interests of Krypton first, no matter what. This would have been a really good thing to establish EARLY in the movie so the audience knows his motivation. As it stands, for the most part he just looks like another marauding bad guy.

Superman killing didn't turn me off as much as I thought it would because he DID do it in the comics. It's not the "cannon violation" that some claim it to be. But again, the movie should establish beforehand his extreme reluctance to do it. So that when he DOES do it, it's a big deal. And of course, but that time thousands had already died on his watch anyway so the whole thing was kind of a hallow victory.

I'm playing Lego Batman 2 right now and I honestly think the Superman portrayal in that game is better than this movie. Honestly. And this is an animated Lego character I'm talking about. He's just more....fun.

quick question are faora and that huge kryptonian dead?

I thought they were sucked back into the Phantom Zone...

i don't know. faora went bye bye when the plane exploded but that can't possibly stop her. and that tall dude just got pushed into a train. everything exploded but i dont remember if he came out of that and i doubt that will stop him too. i guess i have to watch it again.

There was humor and heart in the originals that this movie lacked completely. I think the main thing that took away from this movie's ability to incorporate that was their choice to have almost no Clark Kent secret ID. A little bit at the end, sure. But it almost seemed like and afterthought. Something they were reluctant to do because it just wasn't "realistic" enough but they knew it was such a big part of Superman, they couldn't overlook it no matter how much they wanted to. This could have shown us the great contrast between the two characters, this is where you have a lot of opportunities for humor and human interaction. Sure, Clark interacted with Ma and Pa and Lois. But what about other people's reaction to him and the fact that he's such and odd ball? Also, we had a great opportunity to be shown on screen Clark and his practice of being odd and clumsy to disguise the fact that he's the most powerful, charismatic guy on earth. I want to see Clark practicing slouching, walking awkwardly, changing up his voice and stuttering. To pull off that secret ID must take a lot of practice. It would be great to see that on film.

Its clear that they weren't focusing in on Clark the mild-manner reporter, but Kal'El/Clark Kent. Perhaps they want to save some of those elements for a sequel, which makes perfect sense from a story-telling standpoint. Its also an extreme likelihood that their version of Clark Kent mild manner reporter will be more akin to the one observed in STAS as oppose to the bumbling clumsy Clark depicted by Reeve. Personally I prefer the former. I'm also going to assume that when Luthor eventually surfaces, he will not be the Hackman version and that too imo is a plus. Take no offense yojoebro, but you seem to be more grounded to the nostalgia that is the Donnerverse, which is fine. However MOS seems to be gearing up to be its own thing.

Speaking of things not "realistic" enough for the final cut, I'm sure that elements of Superman such as "leap tall buildings in a single bound", "More powerful than a locomotive", "Truth, justice and the American way" weren't even considered for being part of this movie and that's too bad. Yes, they're old cleches but it's part of who the character is. Why do I get the feeling that a Marvel movie could have incorporated these things with subtly and wit? You know what would have been a really good after-credits scene? Superman flying through the city and hearing a little girl cry that her cat is in a tree and we see him getting it down.

Likely because modern audiences would have found such a scene to be cheesy and cliche. Clearly Snyder is trying to set a precedence regarding this modernize take on the character. Leaping tall buildings in a single bound and being more powerful than a locomotive is unnecessary as the film is saturated with enough action to demonstrate that. As far as his Americanized values are concerned, that too was showcased in the film.

Even though Lois and Supes kissed, there was no romance in this movie. "Then why did they kiss at the end?", you may ask. Good question. I'm not asking for a flight scene with Amy Adams reciting a Superman love poem in her head (that was a bit too cheesy for me in the first movie), but give us SOME kind of spark between the two (This would be hard to find the time for, I guess when they have to show the long, slow destruction of two cities).

The kiss between Clark and Lois is the only thing I really had an issue with. I felt that this was something that could have been held off until the sequel. I would have

liked to see their friendship as more platonic then progress from there. Since this is the first outing they don't need to blow their load in a single film, which is another

reason why I'm happy that they didn't showcase mild manner Clark until the final seconds of the film. Save some things for a sequel.

Zod was OK, I'll give you that. His competition was stiff because I loved Stamp's Zod and also Calum Blue's Zod (for those that haven't seen Smallville season 9, he really is a scene stealer!) The moment I felt just a little something for him was right at the end when he explains he was CREATED to put the best interests of Krypton first, no matter what. This would have been a really good thing to establish EARLY in the movie so the audience knows his motivation. As it stands, for the most part he just looks like another marauding bad guy.

I believe it was implied early on, it just wasn't outright stated. From the very beginning its pretty well established that Kal'El was Krypton's first natural birth in centuries thus making him unique While everyone else is genetically grown to fulfill some type of role or purpose. If Zod is a soldier and general then one can easily infer early on that that was what he was engineered for. Not only did Zod explicitly state his purpose to Clark while onboard his ship in the middle of the film, but its easily discernible prior to Krypton's destruction.

But again, the movie should establish beforehand his extreme reluctance to do it. So that when he DOES do it, it's a big deal. And of course, but that time thousands had already died on his watch anyway so the whole thing was kind of a hallow victory.

It likely didn't need to be established beforehand because he likely was never placed in a situation in which it was an option until his final confrontation with Zod. Again its about subtlety as its already discernible that he has a respect for life and against physically harming others.

I'm playing Lego Batman 2 right now and I honestly think the Superman portrayal in that game is better than this movie. Honestly. And this is an animated Lego character I'm talking about. He's just more....fun.

Well the Lego DC universe is suppose to be more lighthearted and fun. The whole cast including Batman are rather fun.

Justice League not coming right away:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/henry-cavill-justice-league-wont-happen-away-155722546.html

I say, GOOD!

Key points from the article:

"incorporating a handful of new heroes will take a lot of forethought and planning"

"It has to be done very delicately with a lot of thought."

In other words, you can't spend years putting zero effort into getting your core characters on the big screen then just slap this thing together as a knee-jerk reaction to Avengers' success. Sorry, DC/WB.