3D printed action figure

Hauke

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are incredible. If only there was economical way to sand down all the parts a bit to remove the build lines, then you could mass produce your own figure line.

Thanks! Yes build lines are still a problem. Though even if those were smooth material cost for the figures would still be very high compared to normal action figures.

• 2 weeks later...

3d_printed_four_legged_or_two_legged_robot_by_hauke3000-d6qsbap.jpg

3d_printed_four_legged_or_two_legged_robot_b_by_hauke3000-d6qsbxu.jpg

Here is my latest 3D print. With my previous figures I wanted to see how far I could go with articulation. With this one I wanted to try out adding some functionality to a figure. So I made a figure that works both as a two-legged and a four-legged character. It can also open two panels on the back to reveal additional missile launchers and thrusters.

• 1 month later...

3d_printed__alien_cyborg_construction_by_hauke3000-d6ucjn6.jpg

Here is another concept figure. It has fever joints then the others but is actually the most fun to pose. It is the first time I used a double jointed knee. I always thought double jointed knees and elbows looked weird but it does allow for a nice range of movement. I also gave this figure a split torso so the head, shoulder and pelvis joints are actually held in place by the two torso halfes rather then just plugged into the torso. A split torso with seams was another thing I thought might not look good but the seams can be hidden quite nicely. All in all I think this figure has the best ratio of articulation and sturdiness.

3d_printed_alien_cyborg_painted_by_hauke3000-d6ul23p.jpg

Here is a painted version of the alien cyborg. I am really happy how he turned out. The roughness of the print works quite well for the worn down bionics and the alien skin. The paintjob also does not get in the way of posing him. I hope to make more figures like him in the future.

I also set up a website for my 3D printed action figures you can see here: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

• 1 month later...

My first figure based on the Alien Cyborg template. He is called Alien Enforcer. He is a combination of all new parts like the head and redecorated parts like for example the legs. All in all I am quite happy with him.

c5266ae32c9ae05042b5439f819d59a4-d6zhvog.jpg

This is the Alien Assassin, my second figure based on the Alien Cyborg template. As with the Alien Enforcer he is a combination of new parts and redecorated parts.

ffdf8fce9fb8c8b8d626ae25a21e241f-d6zhvhg.jpg

I always loved human-tank-cyborgs like the Mandroid from the movie Eliminators or the Beast Machines from Power Lords. This is my own version of the human-tank concept. He also uses the Alien Cyborg body as a template but in this case a lot of new parts had to be made.

4d70d9154598239d56d7823b5f805a40-d6zhvcc.jpg

Since all the figures based on the Alien Cyborg body use the same joints as template it is possible to swap parts. For example you can use an alien body on the tank part of the Human Tank character.

30455e7bd8b07fe84efe7363ded2ed27-d6zhuvy.jpg

Thanks Joe and Fugayzie! It is quite interesting for me to see how far I have come as well. 3D printing has really given me a huge boost in what I can do figure wise.

I painted the figures over the weekend and put them into a diorama. You can see the surface of the figures is still rough due to the printing but I think the look nice once printed.

3d_printed_figures_groupshot_by_hauke3000-d6zwxb8.jpg

3d_printed_hand_painted_human_tank_figure_02_by_hauke3000-d700cpi.jpg

3d_printed_hand_painted__alien_cyborg_figure_02_by_hauke3000-d700ce8.jpg

3d_printed_hand_painted_alien_assassin_figure_01_by_hauke3000-d700ct7.jpg

3d_printed_hand_painted_alien_enforcer_figure_02_by_hauke3000-d700cj2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on your FB page a side by side picture with a smaller figure. Were you able to make a 4" guy? If so, I'd love to see one painted up, heck, I'd love to own one, how much would a 4" one cost? What about one with a Rhino head? That would be awesome!!

Thanks again everyone! @JoeRyno. It is possible to make smaller figures but not with 20+ points of articulation. The joints would end up too brittle. I am not sure which picture you are talking about but all my smaller figures have only the basic 5 point articulation. Rhino head is a cool idea. I might make one some day.

• 2 weeks later...

3d_printed_bomb_suit_solider_figure_by_hauke3000-d73yj6q.jpg

This is a figure I did for a client. He wanted a cartoon version of a military bomb suit soldier. The figure has 7 points of articulation and two heads. I created everything except for the mortar shell which was provided by the client as a 3D file. The figure is 6 inches tall.

great looking figure!

Thanks. I quite enjoyed working on him. It was cool to make something a little bit different from my personal figures. The customer I made the figure for has actually started a Kickstarter for the figure. Not sure if I can post links to something like that here but if anyone is interested I can send you the link.

• 4 weeks later...

These are all really impressive. I'm glad you've shared them here with us because I haven't known just what can be done with 3D printing. The idea of 3D printing seems like something out of a sci-fi novel that the characters here could all be a part of. :) But clearly it's a reality.

• 3 weeks later...

This guy is called Steracorilla because well he is a mix of a styracosaurus, a stegosaurus and a gorilla. He was basically an experiment to see how I could give my box modeled action figures a little bit more texture using Zbrush. Therefore I made the base model in Softimage using traditional modeling tools. I then exported the files to Zbrush and masked off the parts that would have to stay smooth in order to make the joints work. The other parts got a rough surface using Zbrush brushes. The figure was then exported as STL file and finalized in Netfabb. The textures showed up fine after the print even on my Mojo printer that does not have a super high resolution. Especially once I painted the model the skin textures looked quite nice. I will continue to use Zbrush in the future to add fine detail like skin textures or scratches.

3d_printed_action_figure_steracorilla_workflow_by_hauke3000-d79sr75.jpg

Here is the painted 3D printed Steracorilla figure in action.

3d_printed_action_figure_steracorilla_painted_by_hauke3000-d79sr19.jpg

Hah.. that's too awesome. Did you change the way you do the joints as I don't see any seams in the arms and such.

Thanks! I started using pins for elbows and knees a while ago. So I do not need two parts for upper and lower ams and upper an lower legs anymore. I still have to spilt the shoulders and hips though. So you can still see seams there.

• 1 month later...

Softimage, the software I have been using for the last couple of years has been discontinued. So I had to switch to another software. I choose Modo since it seemed to be a good modeller. This figure is the first one done all in Modo. I started with a generic body I can then make into a variety of figures. Like the Dark Future Warrior shown here. It worked quite well and Modo has better options when it comes to measurements then Softimage allowing me to work more precise on the joints. So I hope to make even better stuff in the future.

The figure is in the 7 inch scale and has 25 points of articulation.

dark_future_warrior_3d_printed_action_figure_by_hauke3000-d7eg1n9.jpg

dark_future_warrior_3d_printed_action_figure__by_hauke3000-d7eg25f.jpg

These are really nice. Alot of companies use 3d sculpts to do their figures and statues but its nice to see someone on the forum doing it and their process. I do digital 3d models in zbrush/maya and have always been interested in how a model could be transitioned from a 3d printer. There are now alot of options for 3d printers and are now finally becoming affordable. I model alot of fan related things like marvel characters and other such things i love. Hopefully one of these days i ll snag a printer and print some out. Again, these are really great and i look forward to seeing more in the future!

These are really nice. Alot of companies use 3d sculpts to do their figures and statues but its nice to see someone on the forum doing it and their process. I do digital 3d models in zbrush/maya and have always been interested in how a model could be transitioned from a 3d printer. There are now alot of options for 3d printers and are now finally becoming affordable. I model alot of fan related things like marvel characters and other such things i love. Hopefully one of these days i ll snag a printer and print some out. Again, these are really great and i look forward to seeing more in the future!

Thanks! You could always try sites like shapeways or sculpteo to test print on of your models. Zbrush is pretty good for exporting 3D files to printable STL format.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest figure made in Modo. It is one of my weirder ones but I wanted to try out some functionality with this one. His lower section can become a gun walker. His upper body can be either a wheeled warrior or a chicken walker for rough terrain.

3d_printed_cyborg_t_roll_painted_by_hauke3000-d7h50xg.jpg

3d_printed_cyborg_cyborg_t_roll_painted_ii_by_hauke3000-d7h51c2.jpg

3d_printed_cyborg_t_roll_painted_iii_by_hauke3000-d7h51t8.jpg

For those interested in how I do my work. I start with a rough model of an idea I have in my head. Sometimes I also add a very basic clay sculpt first to see if the figure would work in the real world. I then start building all the functionality I need for the model. Once that works I do the fine details. Then I optimize the files for print and print out the final figure. Sometimes I come up with things along the way. Like the humanoid mode and the leg cannon that were not planned originally.

3d_printed_cyborg__cyborg_t_roll_developement_by_hauke3000-d7h4zna.jpg