3D printed action figure

Hauke

Here is the latest figure I made with Modo. I wanted another body template this time one that is a more bulky and also has a no abs crunch since I prefer a solid torso piece. I also played around more with Modo's in built sculpting tools. They are quite handy to quickly add organic details like the figure's hair and fur coat. The figure came out a little bit rougher then my usual figures. That is usually a sign for a fault with the printing material. I will probably have to exchange it and print another one. I still decided to print the figure though. You can see some rougher parts around the shoudlers and chest but still I think the paintjob came out nice. His shading is a little bit more cartoony. I am thinking about rendering the 3D model with a cartoon shader at some point in the future so the paintjob was to reflect that.

While a caveman is not the most original design I quite like this figure. I plan to create a series from this guy. It will basically be about cavemen who have to defend earth against evil aliens with the help of long lost technology from Atlantis. This caveman's club has an energy shield generator built into its hilt. He can use either use it to give the club the strength to punch through any known material or expand the shield to protect himself from harm.

3d_printed_caveman_by_hauke3000-d7jg45a.jpg

caveman_3d_printed_action_figure_painted_02_by_hauke3000-d7jg37y.jpg

caveman_3d_printed_action_figure_painted_03_by_hauke3000-d7jg3n1.jpg

caveman_3d_printed_action_figure_painted_01_by_hauke3000-d7jg1w1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not updated this thread in a while so here is a bunch of new stuff. First I made some more figures based on the caveman buck:

I printed the original caveman again. The new one is much smoother and also has new ankle joint that tilts to the left and right allowing for better balance.

36b2631b1060fc546e910d84af9b2877-d7qhbyr.jpg

cd075c2260024efd48dc21cea67bfb32-d7qhbp2.jpg

I made a second figure based on the buck. This one is a warrior from a bad clan that robs other caveman tribes of their precious atlantean artefacts. The original caveman in the fight scenes below is still the old rough one:

3d_printed_caveman_vers_ii_painted_by_hauke3000-d7oilvw.jpg

cavemen_battle_c_by_hauke3000-d7oin0r.jpg

cavemen_battle_d_by_hauke3000-d7oin6i.jpg

This is another character from the scavenger clan. He comes with a ray gun and an energy belt that lets him charge the weapon. He is the most skilled warrior of his clan and is allowed to wear the clan's sacred battle mask. He also has a stone cleaver on his back for close combat.

3d_printed_caveman_character_c__hand_painted__by_hauke3000-d7tis0e.jpg

3d_printed_cavemen_dark_pelts_clan_by_hauke3000-d7tipxp.jpg

I also started on a line based on the generic male body template I made in Modo a couple of months ago. I turned the the generic Dark Future Warrior into a more interesting alien and made another alien warrior to be his buddy.

3d_printed_alien_warrior_painted_a_by_hauke3000-d7obzul.jpg

3d_printed_alien_hero_hand_painted_c_by_hauke3000-d7t8abr.jpg

3d_printed_alien_warriors_hand_painted_by_hauke3000-d7t89pt.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is something a little differently. Me as an action figure. I did this figure as an exercise. I wanted to make a figure that has a less bulky physique compared to the muscle bound 80s style figures I usually do. I also wanted to make a figure that uses ball joints. Personally I am not a big fan of those but I had many commissions where clients wanted to have them in their figures. So this guy serves as a proof of concept that ball joints can be done. I still think they are a little bit less predictable and sturdy then other joints though. On the other hand they do allow for a great range of motion. This is certainly my most flexible figure yet. I also had a lot of requests for heads based on a real person's face. So I gave this figure my own face to show what can be done. The figure has over 35 points of articulation and is about 18 cm (7 inch) high. The figure was painted by me. I have to admit he is a lot slimmer and flexible then I am. :-)

me_as_3d_printed_action_figure_joint_setup_by_hauke3000-d7yezg8.jpg

me_as_3d_printed_action_figure_painted_a_by_hauke3000-d7yf0uf.jpg

me_as_3d_printed_action_figure_painted_d_by_hauke3000-d7yf13s.jpg

me_as_a_3d_printed_action_figure_c_by_hauke3000-d7xilbd.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

android_presentation_g_by_hauke3000-d8cp7a6.jpg

robots_vs__androids_3d_printed_figures_by_hauke3000-d8cp6hg.jpg

android_presentation_i_by_hauke3000-d8cp6o9.jpg

android_presentation_m_by_hauke3000-d8cp71z.jpg

android_presentation_k_by_hauke3000-d8cp6xt.jpg

These are my latest 3D printed custom figures. Their joints are a little bit different then my previous figures. I rely more on ball joints now that can simply be plugged into the sockets for the figure. The result is a much sturdier figure. I did not go super crazy with the articulation on these two but they can be posed quite well. On the other hand these guys are much more solid and feel a lot more like proper toys then all my previous figures.

The story concept is that mankind has given up the polluted Earth to go for the stars but has left most of its mechanical servants behind. Eventually those AIs started to create their own societies. The more humanoid looking androids made for direct human interaction thought of themselves to be superior to the simple robots that were made for crude manual labor. So they enslaved them to do their bidding. Eventually some robots rebelled and build a refuge out in the wastelands. Now these robots fight to free their brethren that are still enslaved.

• 2 weeks later...

INCREDIBLE!

Makes me think of a future where people with talent like yours can sell their figure designs online for others to print at home...

I just googled your name and looked up your site. WOW. The future is now :)

Keep up the good work!

BTW I LOVE the story behind your last figures. That really needs to be made into a series!

Could you make a 6/7 inch scale clint eastwood head if you wanted?

I can do other peoples likenesses but only if I have permission from that person to make a sculpt of them.

INCREDIBLE! Makes me think of a future where people with talent like yours can sell their figure designs online for others to print at home...I just googled your name and looked up your site. WOW. The future is now :)

Keep up the good work!

BTW I LOVE the story behind your last figures. That really needs to be made into a series!

Thank you. I want to turn that last story into a larger project so I can also learn more about the animation and rendering features of the software I am currently using. So hopefully there well be some additional material based on that story later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

presentation_03_by_hauke3000-d8ezpc4.jpg

presentation_01_by_hauke3000-d8eznpz.jpg

presentation_06_by_hauke3000-d8ezq3j.jpg

This was a comission for a client. The original character can be seen here: http://twilightkirby...nnamed-Bug-Game

The figure is fully articulated though her dress restricts the movement of the legs somewhat. Doing this character was a lot of fun. She has a really nice design and it is always fun to do female action figures. The figure was made in 3D and then printed and hand painted by me.

very cool figiure. great paint work too.

Thanks! The paint is a little bit rough in some places due to the surface not being entirly smooth from the printing process but overall I think she came out pretty nice.

• 1 month later...

Here are the female versions of both the android and the robot. Overall I am happy with them. At this scale the resolution of my printer reaches its limits when it comes to the human faces of the androids though. They are not very smooth. However I explain this in the story by saying that Earth's pollution takes its toll on the artificial skin of the androids. This also gives a reason to why they wear helmets most of the time. :-)

With the female robot I prefer the version without the faceguard. She looks cuter that way. Although I kinda like the faceguard as well.

robot_female_a_a_by_hauke3000-d8kdz60.jpg

android_female_a_c_by_hauke3000-d8kdzki.jpg

robot_female_a_b_by_hauke3000-d8kdz26.jpg

android_female_a_d_by_hauke3000-d8kdzad.jpg