What comics are you reading now?

yojoebro82

After a crappy day at work, I hit up a Half Price Books store and found a bunch of current Marvel books that I've been somewhat interested in trying. They were all $2 instead of the $4 cover price so I dove in. Thoughts:

Avengers (scored numbers 1-8) I like the first three issues the best but after that...meh. I think it's too Grant Morison-ish. A lot of talk about God bombs, universe folding, creation events that to me end up seeming convoluted and confusing. I'm pretty sure one of the issues began with referencing an old Morison X-Men comic.

Superior Spider-Man (scored 1-6 and ASM 698-700) I think half the enjoyment of these books come from the letter columns reading about the woes of bellyaching fans who don't like (or more accurately, think they're not going to like) the new storyline. They compare it to every bad Spidey storyline of the past. The amazing thing is they all claim to be "life-long fans" and yet don't seem to realize that this too is just another storyline that's going to end eventually. Followed by them reading the book again.

Indestructible Hulk (scored number 1,3,5 and 6) This is the one I'm most excited about because I love Linel Yu art and I've always felt Waid was a solid writer. Gotta wait to fill in the holes though.

All I am picking up is Uncanny Avengers, Captain America, and Winter Soldier, which unfortunately just got canceled. I have faith it will show back up by the time the movie comes out. I pretty much trade wait everything else. I did just finish the complete Hickman Fantastic Four/FF run and that was pretty fun.

I am currently reading the entire mainstream marvel universe from the start. !!! (to me, the mainstream MU started in the silver age, with the appearance of the FF. I started this a few months back, and I am about 4 years into it chronologically.

so right now I am in april, 1966. current issues at that time:

Tales to Astonish #78 (starring Namor and Hulk)

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

Strange Tales #143 (starring Nick Fury and Dr.Strange)

Tales of Suspense #76 (starring Ironman and Captain America)

Thor #127 (it just changed the title from Journey into Mystery)

Avengers #27 (currentyly featuring a crappy team of Cap, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver)

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

I'm pretty lean on my Marvel reading right now. I'm currently only getting Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Thor: God of Thunder, Journey into Mystery, Winter Soldier, Avengers, Secret Avengers, New Avengers, Young Avengers, Fearless Defenders, Ultimate Spider-Man, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four and Thanos Rising.

If anything gets cancelled, I won't be replacing them....the same will go for D.C. and any Independent I read.

I'm starting to move more and more to back issues.

I am currently reading the entire mainstream marvel universe from the start. !!! (to me, the mainstream MU started in the silver age, with the appearance of the FF. I started this a few months back, and I am about 4 years into it chronologically.

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

Avengers #27 (currentyly featuring a crappy team of Cap, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver)

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

How are you doing that? Original copies, reprints, on-line, masterworks...?

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

That sounds like a good time.

I love that stuff. First bunch of Spider-mans, first bunch of Fantastic Four and first 25 issues or so of Avengers are some of my fave comics.

I seldon buy comics anymore. They are just too expensive. But I'll go by the library and pick up trades. I just got through reading the first 5 or 6 trades of the new X-Factor, which is pretty rad, I love that Peter David.

from marvel i just get

-superior spider-man

-scarlet spider

-venom

-avenging spider-man

-age of ultron

i skipped nearly everything since NOW. avengers wasn't interesting, thunderbolts and cable are meh. hulk wasn't great either and just dropped out of iron man. age of ultron is just like the terminator story and it seems to be an alternative or "it may happen in the future" story once again. since i started i will finish it. i guess it was the shiny cover that made me get it because i haven't seen one of those in years.

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

original copies of course. I am a secret millionaire. I like to sit in my mansion, get out my white gloves so that I don't get finger oils on the pristine pages, and read comics while I look over the veranda.

nah.. got digital copies #US1#

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

That sounds like a good time.

I love that stuff. First bunch of Spider-mans, first bunch of Fantastic Four and first 25 issues or so of Avengers are some of my fave comics.

I seldon buy comics anymore. They are just too expensive. But I'll go by the library and pick up trades. I just got through reading the first 5 or 6 trades of the new X-Factor, which is pretty rad, I love that Peter David.

yeah, it is pretty fun. some of the very first stuff was pretty rough to read because it was so cheesy, but it is surprising how quickly these comics improved. the evolution is really interesting to read through. But I can't say that I like them all

Tales to Astonish- is one of my favorites at this point. I love Namor and Hulk, so it's great. But it started out with Antman stories for the first few years.. and most of those were pretty dull

Amazing Spiderman - I can really see why Spidey became the favorite almost instantly. His comic is easily the most well-written and interesting of the bunch. Even way back then, they focused alot on Peter's life too, and his problems directly influence Spiderman as well. It's good stuff, always a fun read.

Fantastic Four - the FF at this point is usually pretty decent, but they have had their share of really boring issues. Foretunately, things are picking up, as they just introduced the Inhumans and now Galactus and Silver Surfer.

Strange Tales - has been my least favorite from the start. It originally starred Human Torch and some other tales. Then they added Dr.Strange (who is a cool character, but has VERY boring stories). recently, they dropped Torch and added Nick Fury Agent of Shield. The Nick Fury stuff is good, Dr.Strange stories suck

Tales of Suspense - started with Ironman stuff and other tales.. then they added Captain America. The Ironman stuff is solid. The Cap stories started out slow because they were mostly WWII flashbacks

Thor - one of my favorites. Thor is always a good read. and the back end features Tales of Asgard, so that's cool too.

Avengers - started out good with Ironman, Thor, Giantman, Cap.. then they took out the main guys and added Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.. and now it stinks. every issue features Cap and Hawkeye bickering like children, really annoying .

X-men - it's a toss up. Can sometimes be pretty good, and other times just sucks. I can't wait until they get to Giant Size #1

Daredevil - DD is cool, but most of his villains are terrible. So he can be tough to read at times

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

original copies of course. I am a secret millionaire. I like to sit in my mansion, get out my white gloves so that I don't get finger oils on the pristine pages, and read comics while I look over the veranda.

nah.. got digital copies #US1#

Oh I didn't know you were rich!

Got a list of any extra copies of issues you might have? I'm trying to fill some holes in my collection...

Got a list of any extra copies of issues you might have? I'm trying to fill some holes in my collection...

sure, I have been sitting on a few extra copies of Amazing Fantasy #15, what do you have to trade? @loll@

sure, I have been sitting on a few extra copies of Amazing Fantasy #15, what do you have to trade? @loll@

I'll trade you every issue I have that has an appearance of the Scarlet Spider in it.

Amazing Spiderman - I can really see why Spidey became the favorite almost instantly. His comic is easily the most well-written and interesting of the bunch. Even way back then, they focused alot on Peter's life too, and his problems directly influence Spiderman as well. It's good stuff, always a fun read.

X-men - it's a toss up. Can sometimes be pretty good, and other times just sucks. I can't wait until they get to Giant Size #1

I have vol 1-4 of Amazing Spidey in trades. I just finished vol 1. I've had them for a long time and it's about time I sat down and read them.

To me, Giant Size is where X-Men really starts. I have them read from GS #1 up through 160-something. I took a long break from Uncanny but was thinking just yesterday about how I need to start up with it again.

This is the stuff I should be reading...not spending more $$$ on NOW stuff...

Amazing Spiderman #35

Fantastic Four #49

X-men #19

Daredevil #15

I like the Hulk feature in Tales to Astonish, the Cap stuff in Tales to Suspense (I really like the flashback stuff), First 25 issues of Avengers are pretty good. Fantastic Four is ok but every other issues is really not interesting, same with X Men.

Daredevil and Iron Man really have the worst villains so I never cared for their stories. For some reason Spiderman is really the most interesting book, the storyline is really consistent and building.

I wonder if you'll do the same for DC, for me most DC comics are pretty unreadable till the mid 60's. I really want to like them but it doesn't seem to get good till Kubert, Infantino, Adams, and Cardy start hitting their stride.

regards

Joshua

I have been getting waaaay behind on my comic book reading. Hands down I am digging Superior Spider-Man above all other titles. All New X-Men is also fantastic. VERY sad to hear that Winter Soldier is getting cancelled as Bucky is one of my favorite characters in comics today. Other books I've been picking up and seriously need to get caught up on... Cap, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, Venom, Scarlet Spider, Wolverine, Savage Wolvie & Avenging Spidey.

i have over 400 amazing spider-man comics right now but the early ones are impossible to get for my wallet and i would never read them anyway so i got myself the marvel masterworks volumes. they are redone and i love them very much. expensive too but less then the original ones, lol. i am at volume 14 now with amazing spider-man. it's awesome to read the old stories and allthough i love new and awesome artist like jim lee, ramos, crain and finch, i must say that the old ones are still my favorite ones.

Stopped by Half Price and got a few Alpha Flights at 50€ a mag!! I've always enjoyed Alpha Flight, such a strange lil title!! I would like to get the entire first volume, at a good deal!! Condition unimportant!! They're just to read!!

Also got What If: the Invisible Womsn died?

Just finished reading the What If comic!! What a great read!! Reed goes nuts!! Goes after Annihilus, who he blames for Susan's death!! It's a tragic story too!! Well drawn and written!!

Currently I read:

Avengers

Secret Avengers

New Avengers

Avengers Assemble

Mighty Thor

Daredevil

Thunderbolts

Dark Avengers

Captain America

Nova

Guardians of the Galaxy

Fantastic Four

FF

Avenging Spider-Man

Hawkeye

Uncanny Avengers

Cable & X-Force

A+X

Fury Max

Young Avengers

Hawkeye, Fury Max, New Avengers and Secret Avengers are probably my favorite reads. I've been enjoying Cable & X-Force too.

Have to thank DC for doing their miserable New 52 because I dropped so much from them that I've pretty much doubled up on Marvel.

I am most likely going to pick up X-Men when it relaunches (yet again) next month.

The marketing guys did their jobs this time because I'm pretty much only picking it up because of the all-female team. That should be interesting. Plus they're all characters that I know and so far looks to be free of Duche-clops and Marvel's Most Overexposed Character.

This will end a several-years boycott of X-books. But like I say, I like the idea of all female team, and I like Oliver Coipel art. Maybe Jubilee won't be a vampire by the time this hits.

I just finished the first three issues of Latour's Winter Soldier, and I am more disappointed with the cancelation announcement than before. He seemed to have a nice grasp on the character following Brubaker's run.

• 4 months later...

Welp, last issue of X-Factor came out today. So three of my four regular Marvel reads have been canceled: X-Factor, Thunderbolts (not interested in the flavor of the month anti-heroes that are the current Thunderbolts), and Winter Soldier.

Despite myself, I've ventured back into X-Men. Figuring I'd give the two Bendis books a shot. X-titles literally number in the high teens so I figure if I just dedicate myself to one author I can keep it manageable (though he'll likely end up writing 3 or 4 before long). I enjoyed All New X-Men so far and a local LCS has all the Uncanny issues that I can readily buy and catch up on, but lo and behold! Another X-Event has just popped up. And if I want the whole story I have to buy the two Bendis books plus X-Men, plus Wolverine and the X-Men. THAT'S WHY I HAD TO QUIT X-MEN BOOKS IN THE FIRST PLACE! And guess what's on the horizon. Yep, another X-title! Amazing X-Men featuring the return of Nightcrawler! Guess what! He's not dead!!!!!

Ugh!!!!

I bought a few Graphic Novels from a garage sale awhile back. I just finished Bring on the Bad Guys.....the artwork is classic & writing so much different from today. But still reminds me of why I dug comix so much....I haven't bought any new titles in forever. I gave up my old collection to my nephews but I did get a stack of Old Conan Magazines!! the other day.....I'm gonna read those slowly some of them are even still in bags....my sis found them in her stuff....its like reconnecting w/an old friend.....