My Rekindled Interest

Devilbat

I have to admit something here...I've probably not been a very loyal G.I. Joe fan. On some level, I've always loved it, but...I haven't exactly supported the brand, as it were, in recent months. I hate to characterize myself as one of those fickle fans that lost interest when Retaliation was delayed, but I think that's exactly what happened. Also, I had tried picking-up some recent comics, and I never seem to grab any books that jump-starts my interest again; they always seem so mediocre with sub-par writing and artwork. I can never seem to find any good comic series that live up to the old Marvel books. Perhaps I've just been looking at the wrong books, but...you add all that up, paired with no new product, or product I was willing to devote alot of money to, and I ended-up with my interest at an all-time low. I guess every now and then I need a reminder as to why I love G.I. Joe so much, and that reminder has come in the form of some recent Retaliation figures, along with my overall curiosity about the movie.

I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague, although I doubt any of them are earth-shattering. But even when Retaliation was slated to be released last summer I was pretty excited about it. From what I had seen, there were some tweaks and small changes that I really liked and was looking forward to seeing on-screen. I felt like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was an excellent bit of casting, even though I couldn't deny the inconsistency of having the mythos built around the character of Roadblock being in a role of leadership, and perhaps being a...ninja commando?! (Huh?!) I could overlook this unusual change because it made sense to accomodate Johnson's star status, and I just happened to think he was a perfect fit for a G.I. Joe movie. It seemed very natural, so in that way I could accept what had been created for him.

Another thing was I loved how familar character traits were reinstated. Cobra Commander was finally sporting the classic chrome mask he should have had all along, and Snake Eyes, my favorite character, incidentally, looked way more consistent with the toys and comics this time around. I was really happy about that in particular. I mean, I was one of the fans that was okay with his rendition in Rise of Cobra, but I prefer how he looks in the sequel much moreso sans sculpted lips. And there were no Accelerator suits to be seen anywhere, along with the all-black reactive armor. Although I did happen to like that look, again I preferred that the Joes have the more individualized look that so characterized the original toys.

One more thing that intrigued me, and I can't help it, but...I was thrilled to learn Bruce Willis would play a role. As a kid, I always felt like he would have made an excellent Flint in a movie, but I was glad to accept him as Joseph Colton. It was a small affirmation for me to know Bruce Willis would finally be in a film like I always imagined he could be, and it's been a little surreal to have that fully realized.

I just had really high hopes for this film, and then...it was delayed. *sigh* My wife and I were so disappointed. I guess it was kinda fun in one way to have time to build up even more anticipation, but we were both looking so forward to seeing it. We had both really enjoyed the first one, and I really had the feeling the second one was going to be even better.

Now I had even bought a few select figures last summer in my anticipation for Retaliation. I had bought the Amazon exclusive four-pack, and I had gotten the Wave 1 Roadblock, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and my good buddy revsears got me a Joe trooper, (Thanks again man!!) which I noted how much he looked like Master Chief from the Halo games, and I really love it. But I don't know what it was...maybe these new movie figures were too gimmick-laden; I just didn't catch-on right away. Like I said, I loved the Joe trooper, and I really loved the Wave 1 Storm Shadow, even though he wasn't terribly screen-accurate, but...we all know why the Wave 1 Roadblock was a huge let-down, and the Wave 1 Snake Eyes was also, at least for me he was; his rocker ankles don't seem to work well, and his head looks kinda wonky to me. He's not terribly screen accurate either, and he comes with neon-looking blue weapons! Is it 1993 all over again?! What the crap??!! (lol)

So I guess with these disappointments, saddled with no good books or a film to rejuvinate my interest, I guess I kind-of gave up on G.I. Joe for awhile. I wandered on to other things...Star Wars, The Avengers, Marvel books and figures, DC, Transformers, and poor ol' G.I. Joe was left in the dust, in limbo, as it were.

But then...something happened. I stumbled across the recent four-minute preview clip of the mountain temple fight scene online, and I was thoroughly impressed with what I saw. I felt like that four minutes was better than all of the scenes in the first film put together!

Well, with my interest re-stoked with the release (Finally!!) of G.I. Joe: Retalitaion, I set out to find the new figures. I had found a few in recent weeks, but that was, unfortunately, before it clicked in my head that I was interested again, so I had passed on them several times. I had passed on almost all of Wave 2. I even found Joseph Colton not long ago and passed. (!) But I don't know what it is...I think at some time in my childhood, I must have gotten some G.I. Joe figures as an Easter present or had bought some with some prize egg money (lol), but all of a sudden, I've had a hunger or strong urge this past week to seek out G.I. Joe figures.

My wife and I are on Spring Break from work this week, so we travelled to nearby Pigeon Forge, TN to go shopping for a day, and my mission was to find Retaliation figures. I visited several stores to no avail...nothing. I finally struck gold at a local Toys R Us that was on the way home. I found the Wave 2 Roadblock, Lady Jaye, and Flint, and I thought I'd share my impressions:

Roadblock: This was one of the figures I was looking so forward to after being disappointed with the Wave 1 version. This figure is just wonderfully detailed, and he comes with some great accessories. He also has some real heft to him, which I really like. And I love the inclusion of the 25th Anniversary .50 Caliber for old times' sake, but I do wish he had come with some kind of smaller machine-gun rifle or something. And I wonder why one sheath on his vest was painted a bright pearly-white. Why not a black-paint washed green one to match his camo? Why a brilliant white? Sometimes I just don't understand some of the little decisions like that that someone at Hasbro makes inexplicably. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. But I do love those weird, boxy-looking guns he comes with, and I love the modular nature of his weapons, how those little handles can be switched-out among several types of accessories. This figure more than makes up for the Wave 1 fiasco. Overall, it is very well done.

Lady Jaye: I had always loved the Renegades Scarlett sculpt, and I think it suits Lady Jaye very well, although I understand it's not exactly screen-accurate. Since I've not seen the film, and I can't really tell from the previews, I wouldn't know any better. But I think this figure is fantastic. I love her colors, and she comes with several great weapons and accessories. And again, as with Roadblock, I love the inclusion of her little javelin-shooter thingy that was the original's trademark weapon. That was a nice touch. I'd caution anyone who gets this figure though...I get the impression that her wrist-joints are very thin and delicate, and I have the feeling that if one was very rough when applying weapons to her hands, they might stress and break. Other than that, I can't reccommend this figure enough. And now, for the sleeper hit of this trio (at least for me)...

Flint: I had been gathering info on this figure lately, and from what I could tell, not alot of fans have been impressed with it. I discovered that it's a repaint of the Wave 1 Duke, from what I understand, and, like so many figures in this line apparently, he's not terribly screen-accurate either. And I've been reading bits and pieces of reviews, all the while trying to avoid any spoilers, and I've learned that apparently Flint doesn't play a very prominent role in the film. If I ignore all of the above, and just view this figure as a cool update of Flint, then I absolutely love it and do not understand the disappointment. I had actually seen this figure a couple of weeks ago, and I almost bought it in a attempt to rekindle my interest, but he had some sloppy paint on his arm, so I passed. I'm very glad that I finally picked it up. His sculpt is amazing, despite the fact that he's a simple repaint. His Pursuit of Cobra webgear seems to really enhance his overall look. I wasn't too sure about his coming with a removeable berret, but it works perfectly; it looks very natural on his head, as if it were sculpted on. Also, they seemed to do a great job on the actor's likeness; I'd imagine he looks alot like the actual actor. The detail is impressive. In addition, he looks great holding his weapons. I was just really suprised with how much I was impressed with this figure after all the things I had seen and read, especially when I ignored his zip-line accessories. It almost makes me want to get a Wave 1 Duke and swtich out heads so he'll be equally as cool. (lol)

I've just been so impressed with these three figures that it makes me want to get the rest of them. Even if the film turns out to be a horrible flop, I'll still have an appreciation for these figures. As with alot of the Rise of Cobra figures, they can simply be appreciated as cool G.I. Joe figures, regardless of how well (or poorly) the film does. Now I just gotta find Joseph Colton and Wave 2 Snake Eyes...

Awesome... but haven't you done this back and forth the last 5 years, lol @smilepunch@

I know what you mean though, after RoC, I kind of lost interest in Joes.. sold off all my extra RoC, PoC, 30th and even some of my 25th.. but I'm kinda digging them again, sadly Hasbro wont do anything else with Joes, or at least that's what it seems like, so we'll get a handful of movie waves and then probably another "hiatus".. which sucks. I wish they could get a TV deal with someone and get interest out there again to keep the figures on the shelves.

That's very cool I'm glad you have a renewed interest I know how frustating it is to be disappointed and lose interest in something you love like a hobby, I'm glad you are able to get back to it, personally I never got to collecting Joes beyond the ones I had when I was a kid, I was too busy with Star Wars Power of the Force, Episode 1 and so on... plus apparently I grew up watching the wrong Joe series. lol

Awesome... but haven't you done this back and forth the last 5 years, lol @smilepunch@

I know what you mean though, after RoC, I kind of lost interest in Joes.. sold off all my extra RoC, PoC, 30th and even some of my 25th.. but I'm kinda digging them again, sadly Hasbro wont do anything else with Joes, or at least that's what it seems like, so we'll get a handful of movie waves and then probably another "hiatus".. which sucks. I wish they could get a TV deal with someone and get interest out there again to keep the figures on the shelves.

(lol) You will be so proud of me Joe...the difference is, this time I didn't sell anything; I even still have ALL of my ROC figures! How's that for progress? I've finally learned my lesson after all these years. (lol)

That's very cool I'm glad you have a renewed interest I know how frustating it is to be disappointed and lose interest in something you love like a hobby, I'm glad you are able to get back to it, personally I never got to collecting Joes beyond the ones I had when I was a kid, I was too busy with Star Wars Power of the Force, Episode 1 and so on... plus apparently I grew up watching the wrong Joe series. lol

Thanks Belmont. Yeah...Star Wars has been a priority for me also for a long time, but when I was a kid, I absolutely ate, slept, and breathed G.I. Joe. It was my thing for a long time. In its absence, Star Wars kind of took its place for several years. I just can't deny my love of all things G.I. Joe that was seared into my brain as a kid.

I was about to come in this thread and say the same thing!! Ha ha ha

I have also just come back into the fold and glad to see this post as I can relate in several ways. I even was able to log in to this forum with my old profile that I haven't probably used since 2005! I couldn't believe I found it. Anyway, I fell on some hard financial times around the same time the 25th anniversary stuff was winding down. I was really disappointed with the direction they took the toyline and the back story with Rise of Cobra and I do not feel that I missed out on anything by avoiding those figures. I have gotten the SDCC stuff and just went to the convention. I like what I see the line doing in migrating back towards the classic RAH as getting attention. I am looking forward to seeing what comes and hopefully more balance between the movie stuff and the traditional line.

Welcome back ScrapIron, hopefully more old school TNIers make it back into the fold.

Thank you. I hope I can bring some good perspective to the table and my enthusiasm can rub off on others. I remember when I was originally on a few forums, mostly as a lurker, things were extremely active and the buzz was insane until Valor vs Venom came out. The number of forums and fansites became too numerous around the same time and I think lots of folks got burned out which is a shame since the 25th line came out. I feel like the line is ready to explode again in a good way and look forward to seeing what happens!

I have also just come back into the fold and glad to see this post as I can relate in several ways. I even was able to log in to this forum with my old profile that I haven't probably used since 2005! I couldn't believe I found it. Anyway, I fell on some hard financial times around the same time the 25th anniversary stuff was winding down. I was really disappointed with the direction they took the toyline and the back story with Rise of Cobra and I do not feel that I missed out on anything by avoiding those figures. I have gotten the SDCC stuff and just went to the convention. I like what I see the line doing in migrating back towards the classic RAH as getting attention. I am looking forward to seeing what comes and hopefully more balance between the movie stuff and the traditional line.

Uhh, ScrapIron...are you the same ScrapIron that made me a custom "Devilbat" Joe figure years ago? If so, I also came to your house once and checked-out your numerous awesome collections. If not, then never mind...but welcome back either way! (lol)

Uhh, ScrapIron...are you the same ScrapIron that made me a custom "Devilbat" Joe figure years ago? If so, I also came to your house once and checked-out your numerous awesome collections. If not, then never mind...but welcome back either way! (lol)

Unfortunately, no. I would love to see the Devilbat, though. Sounds pretty cool just by the name!

(lol) Okay, sorry...I had a friend that frequented various G.I. Joe message boards, and his screen name was a variation of Scrap Iron of some sort. We became fast friends via AOL instant messaging, and like I said he even cobbled-together a custom G.I. Joe figure of "Devilbat" for me. (lol) Actually it was pretty cool-looking...it was a G.I. Joe vs. Cobra Wave Version 14 black Snake Eyes with a Version 6 Firefly head. He also had a Spy Troops ghillie-suit cape, glued-on horns, a cool machine pistol and a lightsaber blade. It was actually a very cool character. He even made me a file card to go with it. I'll have to see if I can dig it up and post pics...I've hidden it from myself and have no idea where it might be...

Anyway, the "Scrap Iron" I met was guy that lived just outside of Nashville, and there was one summer where my wife had to take some classes and do some course-work there. We went and stayed in a studio apartment in Nashville for about a month. I was just along for the ride; my wife would go to class, and I'd sleep late, mess-around on the computer, run around the Nashville area and go shopping at my leisure...it was like a mini-vacation for me, although I did cook and clean, and I'd help my wife on her homework from time to time, but anyway...

We decided we'd meet one day since he lived so close. I drove over and he showed me his action figure collections. I was also in awe of his G.I. Joe collection...he had shut-off his garage and filled it with mostly G.I. Joe stuff. There was some other assorted collections in there, but the bulk of it was Joe stuff, including a big table with a couple of U.S.S. Flaggs set up with assorted vehicles. He also had some sweet vintage carded figures displayed on the wall.

Bless his heart, I lost track of him several years ago. His IMs disappeared, no e-mails, he stopped posting on the message boards...it almost made me worry something had happened to him. I never heard from him again.

I thought that was Skrapz... :( Now I must hunt down our old friend and bring him back into the folds!!!! But anyway... welcome back other Scrap Iron!!!! lol.

I hear he keeps in touch with some folks via facebook, but I agree ! bring him back!