what characters not from the 80s line would you like to see come back?

Dragonrider1227

I really wanted to keep characters like Hard Drive and Red Spot and Hi Tech in my collection, but that whole period of Joes were filled with such horrible sculpting and mis-proportioned figures...there are a very few that I have not sold off.

Bombstrike is one that I actually like a lot and I have no real need to see her redone.

I guess I'd pick Red Spot. He had potential.

I used to love the original GvsC C.L.A.W.S. troops...the first ones in the red, black, and gold. I thought they had such a unique design for a more heavy-armor-type Cobra soldier. I also liked the designs for GvsC Wave 1 Duke and Gung-Ho, and from later waves the black Snake Eyes and Wild Bill. From Spy Troops I loved Roadblock, Crosshairs...there were alot of designs from that era I loved that had great potential but weren't always executed very well. I'd love to see them done over with current sculpting and construction techniques. I'd buy 'em.

ugh.. you are talking about the worst era in the history of GiJoes for me.. the era after the reissues and before the 25th stuff was very painful for me to watch.

But I'll do my best to imagine some figures I would like to see in the modern era style.

2000 - Big Ben (arctic), Dialtone (green), Duke (camo), Dusty (red beret), Major Bludd (brown with grenades)

2001 - Fast Blast Viper, Laser Viper, Crossfire

2002 - Undertow (crimson), Fast Blast Viper (crimson), Dusty (night force, Blowtorch (GvC), Dart (GvC), Stalker (GvC), Wildbill (GvC)

2003 - Chief Torpedo, Cross Hair, Heavy Water, Sand Viper, AirViper (JoeCon), Joe Con Python Patrol (HEAT viper, Laser viper, Lampreys, Major Bludd, Saw Viper, Rock viper)

2004- Swamp Rat

2005, Destro (JoeCon), Sgt. Mutt (DTC), Spirit (DTC), Sgt.Bazooka (VvV), Major Bludd (DTC)

2006 - Major Bludd (JoeCon), Desert Range Viper (JoeClub exc), Desert Flak Viper (JoeClub exc), Jungle Night Viper (JoeClub exc), Grandslam (DTC),

ugh.. you are talking about the worst era in the history of GiJoes for me.. the era after the reissues and before the 25th stuff was very painful for me to watch.

No doubt. If you didn't have "new sculpt" figures with terrible body proportions, then you had a ARAH style reissue with some of the most boring, unimaginative repaints you could ask for.

The craziest thing was that you would go online and hear some fans telling other fans to "support the line" and buy these things even though they were sub-par, because it was vital that we keep GI Joe on the shelves in some form. Uuuummmm....no! That sends the message that we're fine with the way things are and that any crap is good enough. Thank God GI Joe eventually became good again. You don't hear fans shout out "support the line" pleas in regards to 25th and POC figures. They didn't have to. Those figures were GOOD, so people bought them.

Well, the Spy Troops and Valor vs. Venom lines still stand as my favorite Joe era, so I'd like to see some of those guys make it back.

The top of my list would have to be: Hi-Tech, Link Talbot, Bombstrike, and an update of Wild-Bill in his Spy Troops look.

Of course my big want is still Sgt. Savage.

different strokes for different folks I guess.. lol

to me, guys like Hi-Tech and Link Talbot are some of the worst characters/figures of all time #US1#

Yeah, I just saw RE mention him and was like.. THAT'S HIS NAME!!! And Bombstrike too, I liked that character, and her siblings. I really liked the characters, but man, looking back, some of those figure proportions were horrible.

The Spytroops/JvC era was okay overall.....we got some really cool figures and some that were pretty awful. Something I also remember about this time was the total lack of accessories for some of these guys.......seriously some of the figures only came with a helmet and gun. Also while some of the proportions on the figures were messed up I really liked some of the designs......

Blowtorch- His proportions are all jacked up but I really liked his re-design and his color scheme....

Sand-Viper- I bought a ton of these back in the day.....but his accessories sucked hard.....the Komodo Dragon he came with was cool but thats about it.

Dart- always liked this character and figure......solid overall.

Blackout/Barrell Roll- thought the idea of brothers on opposite sides was pretty cool......both figures were pretty solid too.

(side note.....anyone else miss the GI Joe TCG? I thought it was pretty fun and wish it would come back)

But yeah, I was digging around in some older stuff the other day and picked up a JvC Snow Serpent.......and just shook my head.....Really?

I loved the era for the characters and designs, i'll agree that proportions where allover the place sadly.

The Stalls and Crosshair are the ones that stick out the most. They had the potential to be a more military version of the brother vs. brother conflict we had with se, and Barrel had the potential to be a new rookie ripcord type that could have been great as entry point in a story. DDP with Jerwa started to explore these guys but Casey cut it off abruptly when he took over.

Sand vipers were excellent troops, i still would love to see a new updated version of them. The wave 1.5 repaint of the alley viper in blue is also the best design of an alley viper imo.

There were some duds though. While DDP tried make Dart different, and he looked cool, he still felt too similar to spirit. Red Spot has the worst name in Joe History, and his figure looked terrible, widescope was a shockwave clone with a dog named after Heavy Duty???, and med-alert is laughable looking

I liked that era as it really brought Joe collecting back to me. As for what figures I'd like, a lot of them were the new figures that hadn't been done before. So I'd like to see: Kamakura v1 (we still haven't gotten a decent one in the ME), Dart, Cobra CLAWS, Nunchuk, Agent Faces, Cross Hair, Red Spot, Barrel Roll v1, Black Out, Bombstrike, Ghost Bear, Venomous Maximus, Electric Eel, Spirit (DTC/DDP version) the Plague troopers (Gallows, Grim Skull and Gullotione), Neo Viper and Cobra Moray's. But I also liked a few of the updated designs, so I'd take: Storm Shadow v7, Cobra Commander v11 (loved the cobra on his hood), Blowtorch, Dr Mindbinder v5, Scarlett v 4 and maybe FireFly v6 and 10.

Who was the guy that was the Joe Zartan? I think he came with a dufflebag with a bunch of masks or something? I always liked that figure.

I think he was Agent Faces or something

I gotta ask. Why do so many people dislike Link Talbot?

Bombstrike - always good to have a cool female character added to the roster!! And her unique association with both a fellow Joe and Cobra troop is a plus!

Scalpel - Great addition to Cobra!! A medical doctor that's part of the hierarchy!! Had a great look too!!

Maximous - If they could bring him back and have him not be a mutated form of Hawk, that'd be awesome!! I see him being no different from Serpentor, just another charismatic Cobra leader!!

Big Bear - I think the fact that this is Kwinn's son is a great nod to Joe lore!! I mean this character comes from someone in a very early story in the Joes past!! Nice touch!!

Bombstrike - always good to have a cool female character added to the roster!! And her unique association with both a fellow Joe and Cobra troop is a plus!

Scalpel - Great addition to Cobra!! A medical doctor that's part of the hierarchy!! Had a great look too!!

Maximous - If they could bring him back and have him not be a mutated form of Hawk, that'd be awesome!! I see him being no different from Serpentor, just another charismatic Cobra leader!!

Big Bear - I think the fact that this is Kwinn's son is a great nod to Joe lore!! I mean this character comes from someone in a very early story in the Joes past!! Nice touch!!

These are the only four unique characters I cared about. I hated Neo Vipers and the whole concept... the only reason I like this era is for the Gi joe figures done in RAH vintage style, ie kwin, Oktober guard, Crimson guards w/ removable helmets, reissue of hard to find RAH weapons/vehicles, the RAH comic packs, and TRU battlepacks, as well as Joe con exclusives like Cobra Mortal and Sparks.

When you consider this era, i always think of it as "tying up the loose ends" to the vintage RAH.

Star Brigade Cobra Bat, Bio-Viper, Predacon, Bushido(surprise me on the version), The Street Fighter Line-7pack exclusive-2 sets-VanDames Vs. Julia's, Updated version of the 30th anniversary Original Action Team Battle Pack aaaaaaand I would like to take this just a step fuuuthir, since they've made the EagleHawk(I need to get that Choppaaaaa) aneeway I need an update for the Cobra Liquidator, Joe GhostStriker, Desert Apache, and Crimson Command Copter(using the basic mold of the Eaglehawk) complete w/a better snakey paint job than they gave the Crimson Command Conquest (which was cool too).....more to come

Faces, Blackout, Cross Hair, Scalpel, Venomous Maximus, Bombstrike, Major Barrage, Medi Viper, Croc Master v.2, Slash

Those are definitely some of my favourite figures from this era. The sculpting on Venomous Maximus (despite his utter silliness) is actually really good for that line and Scalpel was the only "new" Cobra I thought fit well into the ranks.

The Snake Eyes figure that came with Swamp Rat was kinda cool too except his hands were molded terribly and he couldn't really hold his weapons well.

I enjoy a great deal of the characers from the SpyTroops line and I even like a lot of the sculpts from VvV even if I don't like the character (eg Venomous Maximus). I really liked Cross Hairs. One of my favorite Joe characters without ever having been fleshed out. Faces was cool, Depth Charge had potential and the storyline with Barrel Roll was solid. He has gotten reissues through the Collectors' Club.

The area they really seemed to shine with was the Cobras. Scalpel, Claws and Blackout were very compelling new characters. The troop builders were great. Iron Grenadier and Tele Vipers were done with awesome new designs. They took the BATS in an interesting direction and the Sand Viper/Scorpion, Snow Serpents/Wolfs, Medi-Vipers, Heavy Waters among others were really cool designs. The Night Attack Chopper/Crimson Command Chopper was a fantastic vehicle.

Of course this period also has some major mis-steps like poor renditions of Recondo and some other characters, green shirts as an idea and forcing unpopular (flat out or relatively) characters such as Heavy Duty, Nunchaku, and Big Brawler along with too many Dukes, Cobra Commanders and a few others.

I gotta ask. Why do so many people dislike Link Talbot?

He protects our freedoms with a rubber glove and a finger up your cat's butt.

I... I think I'll take Fascism.

I don't hate him as bad as others, but he easily won entry into the Crappy Figure Brigade at con. The headsculpt is actually pretty good, i have it on a bullet proof custom, and despite being old now, it blends in with the POC era figures just fine.

Isn't he also the one with floating elbow pads from nowhere? i haven't seen his body in a long while.