Hasbro's Black Series 6" Figure Line

JayC

So......Chewie DOESN'T have a robo arm. If there's one complaint I have it's that Chewie doesn't look different enough. Not a grey hair in sight, and he's wearing the exact same thing he wore 30 years ago. Who doesn't look a little different after 30 years? He could have at least worn something different. Ah well...

Also, they are really, really going out of their way to keep Luke and Leia's ep. 7 looks under wraps. You know their figures are already made, they're just not showing them.

• 1 month later...

I am not buying any of these.

I feel like hasbro is trying to force that 6" line in our throats by not releasing any 3"3/4 black series so far and only realising ridiculous 5POA force awakens figures.

I understand they might feel both black series lines might canibalize each other but i doubt 3"3/4 collectors will swith to the 6" line.

Sorry guys but it won't work.

What are your thoughts about this guys, do you feel as i do?

I feel like hasbro is trying to force that 6" line in our throats by not releasing any 3"3/4 black series so far and only realising ridiculous 5POA force awakens figures.

I understand they might feel both black series lines might canibalize each other but i doubt 3"3/4 collectors will swith to the 6" line.

I agree with you that the 5 POA figures are a joke as far as articulation goes. I bought a First Order storm-trooper and basically got a small statue for my money. I actually prefer the 3.75" figures for Star Wars but I can't deal with these 5 POA POS's...

To be fair; the sculpting on the figures I've seen is pretty nice, but I wont be buying anymore unless or until they give them better articulation.

Now I do like the 6" figures. They seem well made with great sculpting and articulation for the most part. Hasbro doesn't have to force me to buy these but I do see your point. It does seem like they are leaving us no choice; buy the 6" line (with good articulation) or settle for 3.75" statues.

In a case like this the best way to speak is with our money. If we don't buy the 5 POA stuff maybe Hasbro will get the message...I hope so anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Must be tough on the guys who dig the old 3 3/4 scale. From what I hear the 5 POA things they are doing now are ridiculous. And overpriced.

Heck, even buying a 6-inch super-articulated figure at $20 is a tough pill to swallow.

Luckily I do not get the 3 3/4 figures, and haven't since I was 10. I'm all about the 6-inch scale and I'm one of those guys who was hoping that some day we'd see Star Wars figs at that scale. But for you guys, it's gotta be like they haven't made anything decent in a long time.

And even for guys like me, we are starting to look at Hasbro's Black series as the bottom of the barrel, only suitable to get for durable cheap guys like stormtroopers, who they do a decent job at. With the Bandai 1/12 kits and the S.H. Figuarts coming out at that scale, and being way better to immensely better toys, many of the 6-inch collectors are looking to them to fill their Star Wars itch. Although much more expensive, these imports are just that much better. Hasbro may be better off targeting their core audience, but I think they like the higher price they can charge for the 6-inchers.

Must be tough on the guys who dig the old 3 3/4 scale. From what I hear the 5 POA things they are doing now are ridiculous. And overpriced.

I just have to throw my 2 cents in on this. One more time:

I will never try to convince anyone to like 5 POA if they don't. It's an aquired taste. But as far as pricing goes, they are at the same cost (or maybe just a little above) the Power of the Force 2 figures that came out 20 years ago. (I'm assuming a great many of the complainers bought into that line back in the day). Each line has the same articulation. Now if you think about the fact that inflation hasn't really caught up with them in 20 years....that's not too bad.

Yes, you can argue the fact that Hasbro has backtracked 20+ years in the articulation department. That is true. But what's our alternative? Have you seen the prices on Marvel Universe and DC Multiverse figures? Completely outrageous for what you're getting. And there is no reason to think that if (actually, when) Hasbro does these figures with up to date articulation, you will be paying any less than $13.79-$15 per figure. To me, that's too much and if I saw a 5 POA Kylo Ren next to a super articulated Kylo Ren at these same prices, I'd pick the 5 POA anyway. That's me personally.

But don't worry, Hasbro will do these all again with the multiple POA and not just as Walmart exclusives. You'll get the figures you want eventually. It's just a question of how much a 4" action figure is worth to you.

• Like 1

Im with Joe.

how much articulation is needed to recreate play patterns with the original trilogy? Sure, i like to be able to pose Stormtroopers in all sorts of death throes, but the action is overall pretty static or comes from laser fire/guns/spaceships.

I estimate that those bitching loudest looove the high octane lightsabre battles made popular in the prequels. cool for the sake of cool. flash, and little substance.

Could be wrong. Im happy buyin in cheap. I think the sculpts are fine.

and all others? Happy hunting at Walmart...this is beyond getting old.

And even for guys like me, we are starting to look at Hasbro's Black series as the bottom of the barrel, only suitable to get for durable cheap guys like stormtroopers, who they do a decent job at. With the Bandai 1/12 kits and the S.H. Figuarts coming out at that scale, and being way better to immensely better toys, many of the 6-inch collectors are looking to them to fill their Star Wars itch. Although much more expensive, these imports are just that much better. Hasbro may be better off targeting their core audience, but I think they like the higher price they can charge for the 6-inchers.

So Hasbro is wrong for what they charge for 6" figures, but S.H. Figuarts, who charge several times more for the same scale, are in the right?

My, that's an impressive double-standard you've built yourself.

So Hasbro is wrong for what they charge for 6" figures, but S.H. Figuarts, who charge several times more for the same scale, are in the right?

Import costs + much smaller production runs + many more moving parts = higher price

Import costs + much smaller production runs + many more moving parts = higher price

No, I get WHY they cost what they cost, and I don't fault them for it. They're not my cup o' tea, but some amazing workmanship and creativity goes into those figuarts figures (their TMNT Donatello still cracks me up). I just think its a little silly to complain about paying 20+ for a Hasbro figure only to turn around and justify an 80 dollar (or whatever it is) price tag on another figure.

Well.....I saw it....over the weekend at TRU.....The 6" New Order Tie-Fighter.....it was amazaballz.....the box can be lived in......I'm doing some serious number crunching...I think I'm going to put it on lay-away.....I have a 15% off coupon I can use.....well see.....I don't need it but it's just too juicy to pass on.....so far nothing else new on the pegs....that I saw

No, I get WHY they cost what they cost, and I don't fault them for it. They're not my cup o' tea, but some amazing workmanship and creativity goes into those figuarts figures (their TMNT Donatello still cracks me up). I just think its a little silly to complain about paying 20+ for a Hasbro figure only to turn around and justify an 80 dollar (or whatever it is) price tag on another figure.

I've always said (and not just about toys) it's not about cost. It's about value.

I have the money, and I will spend it, but when I do, I need to feel it was worth it.

And the "tough pill to swallow" comment is more a lament on the state of the industry really. But that's what these toys (SWB, ML, DCC) go for nowadays so I just have to suck it up. It's not wrong of them to charge that, it's just what it is.

I just got ahold of the TrU exclusive SWB 6-inch Force Awakens Snowtrooper captain, and paid $20 for it. Totally decent figure, well worth the price. Love it. Yeah, it's nowhere near the quality of the SH Figuarts, but totally a cool toy for what it is and for what it costs. I still think that Hasbro makes good 6-inch SW figs when they don't tackle human faces and such. Troopers are generally very good.

Well.....I saw it....over the weekend at TRU.....The 6" New Order Tie-Fighter.....it was amazaballz.....the box can be lived in......I'm doing some serious number crunching...I think I'm going to put it on lay-away.....I have a 15% off coupon I can use.....well see.....I don't need it but it's just too juicy to pass on.....so far nothing else new on the pegs....that I saw

Saw one on discount with a big gash on the box...$109.00.

Could always take your chance with a box knife.

There's a 25% off coupon in the Target Holiday toy book, so I used that plus a couple of $5 gift cards & the Red Card 5% discount on the 6" TIE today. Came out to just a bit over $122. Even with just the 25% coupon, that's $42.50 off. This thing is a beast. And a ton of detail inside that cockpit.

I saw that TIE Fighter last night for the first time. I picked the box up....the nerd in me was curious just to hold it in my hands. Yep, that was enough for me. The thing is massive and even if I wanted it I would have no room to display it. Pretty crazy. I also saw the 2 pack with "riot gear" Stormtrooper (which I guess is the exact same as a regular Stormtrooper only with a shield and billy club) and the Poe. I left that one there as well.

What I DID pick up as the 6" Poe X-Wing pilot and the the 6" Phasma! Found them at walmart. Both are pretty good. I would have liked soft goods cape for Phasma but what are ya gonna do? I know she's the one everyone is geeking out about so I'm glad I don't have to put up with the headache of trying to get her. Had to leave the Guavian and the other dude there....I spent too much on toys this weekend. Again.

Target today had the large Tie for $169.99 and the two pack of Poe Dameron with a stormtrooper for $39.99

yup, my target actually had both....considering our targets never even got in the Star Wars black 2 packs w/Luke & Wampa & Han & TaunTaun.....that's quite a feat....now if they can actually stock Star Wars Black 6" figs so we can buy them is another story.