Hasbro's Black Series 6" Figure Line

JayC

SW fans via Yakface.com are up in arms about R2-D2. An image from their facebook page:

1012763_473939906025224_890515556_n.jpg

it's as simple as this...wait for the product in hand, as photos usually deceive, and then buy it or not based on your own desire. I have a feeling that if this were 1999 and the internet were as widespread as it is now, there would be 100 forums of complaints generated over pre-production images/final product images of the R2-D2 cup topper from KFC/TacoBell/Pizza Hut. How many variations of one character does one need in a lifetime to be happy? This one may not be the one for you, but this is SW and Hasbro we're dealing with: it's not going to be the last chance, folks.

the above is my civil response. here is my gut reaction:

You @##@@ nerds...You are everything that is wrong with Star Wars and a stumbling block to the progression of all geekdom

Anyone who DOESN'T realize that Hasbro touches up their sample images, and expects to get EXACTLY what they show us, hasn't been collecting figures from Hasbro for very long.

I remember they started this around the time of the GI Joe 25th Anniversary line, and when they took over Marvel Legends. The images they showed were always more shadowed, and looked more detailed. They were heavily touched up. This was especially true with ML, as many of the figures looked like they were nicely black-washed in the sample pictures, and then the actual figures looked really cartoony to me, with no shading. They still continue this practice today, and while it is misleading to some extent, I would think most collectors would be used to it by now.

LOL. Photoshopping images of their product has been a Hasbro practice with ALL their lines for at least 8 years! Also, when was the last time a rep from any toy company gone on record and said, "We PROMISE you guys, we WILL give you exactly this" ?

The bigger issue is that R2 is going to be $20 and pretty small. Yes, he has a lot of little arm attachments but that just doesn't make up for it. And of course, how many other small characters are on deck that will all be $20 as well? Yoda($20), Jawa($20), Ugnaught($20), Crumbly($20), any astromech(90% repainted R2 parts, of course $20), any Ewok ever to appear in the foreground or background of every scene($20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20........)

Of course these could all be two packs to make it a bit more fairly priced, but why do that when people will buy anyway?

LOL. Photoshopping images of their product has been a Hasbro practice with ALL their lines for at least 8 years! Also, when was the last time a rep from any toy company gone on record and said, "We PROMISE you guys, we WILL give you exactly this" ?

The bigger issue is that R2 is going to be $20 and pretty small. Yes, he has a lot of little arm attachments but that just doesn't make up for it. And of course, how many other small characters are on deck that will all be $20 as well? Yoda($20), Jawa($20), Ugnaught($20), Crumbly($20), any astromech(90% repainted R2 parts, of course $20), any Ewok ever to appear in the foreground or background of every scene($20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20,$20........)

Of course these could all be two packs to make it a bit more fairly priced, but why do that when people will buy anyway?

My thoughts exactly.

I haven't collected a Star Wars line in ages but I like these. But the cost of them could keep me away because I'll want to get the whole series.

i am ok with the cost when they look this nice. if they would look like the 3 3/4 line where characters dont really look like the actors then i wouldn't go for it. i even think that hasbro tries to do the best versions ever with this line and i doubt there will be a lot of rerereleases.

After seeing this picture over at Yodasnews I understand the ire about R2 now. It's not just differences between the prototype and production figures. That is a completely different, far inferior sculpt. If they didn't also show a boxed image I would think that Hasbro sent the wrong image and that was really a 3.75" figure.

http://yodasnews.net/r2compareyodasnews.jpg

Okay, yeah. That production version is way inferior & not just in the fact it doesn't have any sort of panel line wash. There are so many details that have been cheaped out on it isn't funny.

R2D2 is definitely not worth $20... He should have been packed with C-3PO...

This in a nut shell.... if this is how they handle a main character like r2d2 then fear for the rest of the line ...

I totally agree

I disagree. If we want both of them to be good figures, there is no way that they can pack those 2 together.

I think that the R2D2 they originally showed was worthy of being a single pack.

I totally agree

I disagree. If we want both of them to be good figures, there is no way that they can pack those 2 together.

I think that the R2D2 they originally showed was worthy of being a single pack.

They might but it may cost $40

I dont really know whats the problem with R2 and the price. Its not like it was different with the 3 3/4 line. Yoda is even smaller and i am sure he will be 20usd too. If chewbacca comes then we dont want him to be 30usd either just because he is taller.

I dont really know whats the problem with R2 and the price. Its not like it was different with the 3 3/4 line. Yoda is even smaller and i am sure he will be 20usd too. If chewbacca comes then we dont want him to be 30usd either just because he is taller.

I am thinking a fair price would be in the ML range...

I am thinking a fair price would be in the ML range...

Like everyone i would love to pay less but there is a clear difference between star wars and marvel legends. Star wars looks way way better and has much more unique sculpts then marvel legends. Even paint apps are fantastic with star wars. Look at the sandtroopers helmet. I never saw that in marvel legends. Specially with hasbro. 20 usd is a good price. I will have to pay 30 for them but thats the name of the game. I can't wait though. I check bbts every day in hope they arrived.

these are 6" scale right? $20 each isnt too bad. ML's are sold for $19-23 per figure in many stores with the exception of bix box. a key reason why preproduction figures always look much better than the actual figure is paint aps. preproduction figures are custom painted by hand by profesionals. they hit the toys up with top quality paints and pay specific attention to details that the factories cant always afford to do. for example, when i paint one of my custom figures, it takes me between 6-9 hours. the paints provided on the factory toys are done within a couple of phases of several minutes each. there is no way that they could afford to have them hand painted paying that much attention to detail. if that was the case each figure would run $60. same thing happened to the nick TMNT toon line. the preproduction were custom painted and looked friggin amazing! the post...not so much. AND they lost the upper knee joint in the final figure, which sucked big time.

i did notice that the legs on R2 are backwards. not sure which one is right though. the feet seem to be on correctly, though the gold tubes on the actual R2 are thicker and shaped differently than the preproduction figure. it looks like the preproduced version may have used actual wire for it and painted over it. the blue leg panels and third leg are missing from the final fig. i see holes so it looks like they are detachable. if they come with the figure but were not used/attached for the comparison pic than that is a big mistake by whomever took that pic because it would misslead people to think that they are not included...if that is the case.

I agree with Captain Triumph; I'll wait until I actually have the figure in hand before I make up my mind. As for the comparison pictures I've seen posted here...my 3 3/4 inch Vintage ROTJ R2D2 looks better than that pic.

Just noticed the price ... ouch .... but that's the way everything is going. Just want the Sand Troopers and possibly Darth Maul. Can't wait for Vader in wave two.

As far as I know, Vader isn't in wave two...Anakin, but not Vader. I don't even think they've confirmed him yet, and the first three waves have already been confirmed.