Ewan McGregor Up For Reprising Obi-Wan Role For Episode VII

Bespin refugee

I thought Ewan McGregor played an excellent role as the younger Obi-Wan. Perhaps he could play the older Obi-Wan as a Force spirit, but...I tend to agree with hamsterboy; what would be the point, other than a shameless cameo like the one Hayden Christensen played in the DVD edition of Return of the Jedi? Maybe it would work. I'd love anything that further bridges the old and new trilogies together.

Maybe it would work.

I would work if what you were going for was nothing more than a "The-gang's-all-here!" nostalgia trip and I'm hoping the new SW is more than that. We'll already have Luke, Han and Leia. It's not confimed, of course but is there much chance they'll leave out 3PO and R2? I don't think so. Then we'll probably have Chewbacca too....and I just have this terrible feeling that they're just gonna HAVE to have Boba Fett climb out of that pit....Now you got seven old characters taking up time from telling new stories with new characters, moving the franchise forward.

As far as Obi Wan, he's done. His character's purpose was to be wise old council for Luke on his journey to becoming a Jedi. Now Luke's there, HE'S now the wise old man, and seeing him talking to spirit Obi Wan or spirit Yoda or even spirit Hayden will just seem like those characters are there for the middle aged fans to smile and say, "Oh, look who it is! They brought him back! Yay!" and give them warm-fuzzies all over. This was the reaction Lucas was going for when he included guys like Chewie, CGI Tarkin, and every other unnecessary OT character in the prequils (This is also the only reason Star Trek keeps flirting with bringing back Shatner Kirk and I relly hope they don't go there).

I love Obi Wan, I even thought McGregor Obi Wan was one of the less annoying things about the prequils. But I don't see how he fits in. Just my opinions.

I guess they'll be interviewing everybody w/ a chance of being included in the new movies? If they had to, I could see Ewan as an hologram in the jedi archives or something; but, as much as I liked him as young Obi-Wan, I dread the reaction to a dubbed Alec Guiness <_>

Maybe it would work.

I would work if what you were going for was nothing more than a "The-gang's-all-here!" nostalgia trip and I'm hoping the new SW is more than that. We'll already have Luke, Han and Leia. It's not confimed, of course but is there much chance they'll leave out 3PO and R2? I don't think so. Then we'll probably have Chewbacca too....and I just have this terrible feeling that they're just gonna HAVE to have Boba Fett climb out of that pit....Now you got seven old characters taking up time from telling new stories with new characters, moving the franchise forward.

As far as Obi Wan, he's done. His character's purpose was to be wise old council for Luke on his journey to becoming a Jedi. Now Luke's there, HE'S now the wise old man, and seeing him talking to spirit Obi Wan or spirit Yoda or even spirit Hayden will just seem like those characters are there for the middle aged fans to smile and say, "Oh, look who it is! They brought him back! Yay!" and give them warm-fuzzies all over. This was the reaction Lucas was going for when he included guys like Chewie, CGI Tarkin, and every other unnecessary OT character in the prequils (This is also the only reason Star Trek keeps flirting with bringing back Shatner Kirk and I relly hope they don't go there).

I love Obi Wan, I even thought McGregor Obi Wan was one of the less annoying things about the prequils. But I don't see how he fits in. Just my opinions.

Y'know, as much as I love Ewan McGregor and Obi-Wan in general, the more I consider it, the more I think I agree with you yojoe; Obi-Wan was basically the central hero in the prequels. He served his purpose in the story, and any subtle dignity Alec Guiness afforded the role would be somewhat diminished I think by any inclusion in the new films. Any attempt to shoehorn him into the sequels might come across as contrived or gimmicky. That's what kept me from enjoying The Expendables 2 as much as I should have, or kept me from taking it very seriously as a great action flick...it just felt like they stuck in some big '80s action stars just because they could, not because they filled any meaningful role. It was a huge missed opportunity in my mind, and if they're not careful, the new Star Wars films could suffer the same fate.

I'm hoping for it to feel more like Rambo, where we see what John Rambo's been up to all these years, how he's aged, and what that means to his character. It felt very natural, and it truly felt like we were catching up with the character without it feeling forced or staged in some silly way. That's how I hope the new Star Wars films are approached. They will seem much more fresh and original if they go that route.

But don't do you remember when Obi-Wan told the Kaminoan's secretly to clone him and set that clone aside for safe keeping for the future generations of film makers who may need to call upon him again when the Balance of The Cash....I mean The Force is disturbed?.......

But don't do you remember when Obi-Wan told the Kaminoan's secretly to clone him and set that clone aside for safe keeping for the future generations of film makers who may need to call upon him again when the Balance of The Cash....I mean The Force is disturbed?.......

as much of a joke as your making there, that's such a big possiblity of being true, the novels had clones of the emperor, the games had clones of starkiller, so the movies having an obi wan clone, not really that far fetched.....#ijs