Do G.I. Joe figures clash?

CaptainPowerWasher

I've noticed that when displaying my Joe figures side by side or in bunches,they tend to clash.Star Wars figures all seem to blend in well but Joe figures seem like a mix of of characters from different universes.Anyone else having this problem?

That's what I've always liked about the non-movie designs. They are wildly varied and makes them stand out as unique even when posed together. They ARE individual characters from around the country, with different specialties, from different branches of the armed forces. Having them unique and clashing to some extent helps sell them as individuals. They're not a single combat unit, rather experts who are called upon when the need arises on a mission by mission basis.

Now on the other hand, I dig my Cobra army as uniform as possible. Faceless blueshirts and such. With the occasional red here and there. (Crimson Guards, HISS Drivers, etc.) It gives them an inhuman uniformity that tells you all you need to know about Cobra Commander. These men are canon fodder. Given training and armed to an extent, but there is always another in line behind them. Sure, the members of Cobra Command are rather unique themselves, but there are far fewer individuals than in the Joe ranks.

It creates a nice visual and philosophical dichotomy between the two sides.

Apples and oranges here. For the most part the SW line is very uniform in style and sculpt. Jedi's all wear similar robes so they fit in together. Rebels forces, well all the pilots look alike (same type of uniform) and troop builders always look the same. Most of the droids are just repaints of one another or so similar in design that they're going to fit in together. I'm not even going to go into the Imperial forces (or Cobra for that fact).

Joes, on the other and just aren't uniform in any respect. Sculpt is all over the place (just look at head size) and for the most part there is not uniform outfit or common feature that identifies them as part of the same unit. But as AireTamMan said, it's supposed to be like that.

You'r right about the Apples and Oranges comparison.I love the uniqueness of the Joe characters and there are couple figures that look cool together but I think it's time G.I. Joe had a more uniform look to them,and not that horrible ROC blue Camo either.A reboot of sorts.

Now on the other hand, I dig my Cobra army as uniform as possible. Faceless blueshirts and such. With the occasional red here and there. (Crimson Guards, HISS Drivers, etc.) It gives them an inhuman uniformity that tells you all you need to know about Cobra Commander. These men are canon fodder. Given training and armed to an extent, but there is always another in line behind them. Sure, the members of Cobra Command are rather unique themselves, but there are far fewer individuals than in the Joe ranks.

Same here. I dig more uniformity in my Cobras.

Having displayed my 82-85 Joes all together, I think they all blend in OK more or less with all the others. Except when you throw in the occasional Blowtorch or Barbecue figure. But I'm fine with that.

Maybe the reason why Star Wars is different is because those characters and designs were origianlly created for the screen and Joes were always meant to be action figures from the get go....

if you mean do older Joes blend with new ones? no. The differences in sculpt are too great.

if you mean do movie or cartoon modern era Joes blend with RAH-inspired Joes? sometimes.. not so much with alot of movie figures

if you mean do Joes blend with each other as a rag-tag offbeat group? absolutely! I know some of them are whacky, but I always loved how each Joe was unique and had his own style. So I am happy to display my neon-green Sci-Fi right next to my tan Dusty

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they do......and thats the reason why I display my Joe eras separate. Even the JvC and Spytroops figures look different enough next to each other......but I display them together, its not as big a difference between RAH and JvC/Spytroops style.....25th and POC are pretty much the same.....except for some of the more futuristic looking figures.

if you mean do older Joes blend with new ones? no. The differences in sculpt are too great.

if you mean do movie or cartoon modern era Joes blend with RAH-inspired Joes? sometimes.. not so much with alot of movie figures

if you mean do Joes blend with each other as a rag-tag offbeat group? absolutely! I know some of them are whacky, but I always loved how each Joe was unique and had his own style. So I am happy to display my neon-green Sci-Fi right next to my tan Dusty

This.

I tend to customize a lot. so i have style that works for me that goes up on the shelf, but the more classic look for figures stick out and are put up separately. I do think that the Joes have diversity, that's been a part of the look since Rah, they unique characters add personality.

This is my take on it...I don't have my collection on display, but if I did, I would display each era or line seperately. I just think I would like the diversity and individuality such a display would reflect. My idea of a great G.I. Joe display would be a simple, minimalist one, one that would showcase just a few key items. I mean, I can appreciate the notion of having a massive collection that includes fleets and convoys of vehicles along with entire units of army builders. It's fun. But I imagine someday having a small, focused Joe collection displayed, one with a few key figures, maybe a handful of vehicles and Sideshow figures, and perhaps a couple of Marvel comics displayed with a bust and/or statue or two. But yeah, I'd probably display figures from different lines and eras seperately, so they could be appreciated individually on their own merits.

• 2 weeks later...