I miss DCUC

Lady Jaye

Well it looks like they will get out those last few reveals. Hook-hand Aquaman, Ice and such.

Then that's all she wrote.

I remember the original plan was 25 waves of 5 figures a wave. An ambitious plan that didn't quite make iut through, but I think with the sub figures, the Batman unlimiteds and everything else, they still made 125 figures easy.

It was a good run. Made some of my favorite toys. Heck, I bought 2 Deathstroke the Terminators, just so that when I wreck one in 20 years from now from messing with it too much, I'll be able to open a replacement.

But much like Marvel Legends, now that I have so many really excellent figures, it's a hard act to follow. They'd have to be REALLY good to match up against Deathstroke or green Steppenwolf or DCSH Azrael.

And towards the end, I didn't see them putting the effort into them. Too bad it had to end like that. I will always remember the good times.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have been happy to have at least got a New 52 Green Lantern and Cyborg to complete the New 52 Justice League that they were working on. I'll never understand why they made that lame puny Darkseid before they made those two figures. It really sucks to have a permanently incomplete team especially one as important as the new 52 Justice League.

Im gonna pass on the New 52. Theyr'e just not the characters we grew up with. I've long waited for this era of accurately detailed toys, as how weve seen them in comics and on TV.

Those toys in the 80s, undeniably gave me great childhood memories, but looking at them now, they're like, well, I rather not say it. However,I think no matter what, like how dorky looking they are now, they served their purpose greatly when were growing up, so respect to those figures.

But DCUC is any DC fan figure collector's wish come true. And the excitement over the hunt and the anticipation over new arrivals maybe gone, but looking at them now at my shelves, definitely gives me that sense of fulfillment and relief that Ive collected them.

• 2 weeks later...
But DCUC is any DC fan figure collector's wish come true. And the excitement over the hunt and the anticipation over new arrivals maybe gone, but looking at them now at my shelves, definitely gives me that sense of fulfillment and relief that Ive collected them.

I've seen some of the new Batman line, and I'm tempted to pick up the purple Batman from who knows what alternate universe, just because its an actual character and its still a DCUC buck and would fit in with my figures. But it also brings back some of the old DCUC memories!!

While Marvel is my favorite comic Universe of all time, Mattel was able to do what neither Toy Biz or Hasbro could do, a solidified brand of DC characters that look perfect next to each other!! There were a few hiccups here and there, but for the most part they choose a truly iconic and classic look for each character made!! Even when the big guns alternate looks were released, they made sure to release the classic look first!!

Toy Biz jumped around eras way too much!! For example we got X-Men from the 60's, 80's, 90's, and 00's!! In my opinion, the most popular look for the X-Men is still the Jim Lee era of the blue and gold strike force teams!! They should have made a conscious effort to get to those characters first, and then they could revisit characters other looks for future waves!

Also, the women of DCUC were well made and pretty!! Marvel Legends girls ran the gambit of pretty to hideous!! For every Storm we got fuglys like Scarlet Witch and Black Widow. For every good looking Rogue (X-Men classics) we got Rogue that looked like a tramp or Emma crack head Frost!!

Like I said previously, my all time favorite universe is Marvel, it's the comics I read and lived as a kid, the cartoons I watched, and the toys I collected (90's Toy Biz X-Men line), but DCUC was the quintessential comic book line!!

I'm waiting for the Arkham City Deathstroke even though the articulation sucks he looks bad ass to have as a mini statue lol.

Too bad about the articulation and accessories because the sculpt looks badass...

The sword and rifle look bad a$$, but that gun sucks cause of that peg that is on the side @grumpy@

Add to that, DCUC was at a point in it's run when it was nothing to include totally out of left-field characters like O.M.A.C., Kamandi or even Black Vulcan.

That it why it will forever be a load of bull when a Mattel rep tells you the reason they went with sub-only is because characters like Poison Ivy, Jay Garrick, or Doomsday "wouldn't sell at retail".

That's what REALLY bugs me. I might've bought that "wouldn't sell at retail" line if DCUC had tanked in the first or second wave, but this line was around for twenty in spite of spotty distribution and cut-throat price hikes, and that doesn't even count boxed sets or sub-lines. Fact is Matty saw a perfect opportunity to milk even more money from the consumer with their sub-scam, and lines like DCUC and Young Justice were in the way of that. Even DC/Batman Unlimited is being swept aside and replaced by that weird Fischer Price looking line.

well said, gang!

Add to that, DCUC was at a point in it's run when it was nothing to include totally out of left-field characters like O.M.A.C., Kamandi or even Black Vulcan.

That it why it will forever be a load of bull when a Mattel rep tells you the reason they went with sub-only is because characters like Poison Ivy, Jay Garrick, or Doomsday "wouldn't sell at retail".

That's what REALLY bugs me. I might've bought that "wouldn't sell at retail" line if DCUC had tanked in the first or second wave, but this line was around for twenty in spite of spotty distribution and cut-throat price hikes, and that doesn't even count boxed sets or sub-lines. Fact is Matty saw a perfect opportunity to milk even more money from the consumer with their sub-scam.

well said, gang!

Indeed!! I mean if a character like Killer Moth with virtually no ties to modern comics or animation can be made, then those other "iffy" characters would not have done a thing to cause this line to die!!!

All they had to do, was make each character have a BAF part, and either 1 or 2 BAF characters could be made per case!! That way no leftover product!! So simple!!

Tell me something gents, would you ever, if they became more affordable, use those 3D printers to finish your DCUC collection??

Perhaps finally make the sought after Giganta's head to complete her?? Make a copy of Sinestro in his classic outfit, but more appropriate size? Make figures you missed out on?? Perhaps even make figures never made?? Black Mask, Mad Hatter, the Forever People, etc?? Complete your teams??

• 1 month later...

From a Chinaman?? LMAO! Is this the wild west circa 1800's??

OK, to be more politically correct, Asian ebay sellers (from China, Hong Kong, etc.)

American, Chinaman, Canadian, Frenchman,Dutchman,...whatever...them coolies sure know how to build railroads, pack fireworks, and sell toys.

Hope they can snag me a Batzarro from Matty's claws soon, and cheap, too!

Chinaman is actually a derogatory term unlike Dutchman, American, Frenchman, etc....

got a source on that? why do we have to say "Chinese man?"

Personally I think society has become too sensitive but I remember Steve Kerr apologizing when he referred to Yao Ming as that during a basketball broadcast...

Chinaman is actually a derogatory term unlike Dutchman, American, Frenchman, etc....

got a source on that? why do we have to say "Chinese man?"

Personally I think society has become too sensitive but I remember Steve Kerr apologizing when he referred to Yao Ming as that during a basketball broadcast...

doesn't look like there is much history to support it as a derogative...it's all modern context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinaman_(term)

"On April 9, 1998, television sitcom show Seinfeld aired an episode in which a character referred to opium as "the Chinaman's nightcap". The episode prompted many Asian American viewers, including author Maxine Hong Kingston, to send letters of protest. In her letter, Kingston wrote that the term is "equivalent to niggers for blacks and kikes for Jews".

-uh-huh...keep playing those cards folks. We're always an ace away from equality.

Study your history. "Chinaman" is not and never was a derogatory term. JUST like Dutchman, American, Frenchman, etc.... it was simply a term used to refer to a man from a certain area, in this case China.

Any bad reputation the word has gained is in hind-sight due to the generally negative feelings toward the Chinese during the 1800s when the railroads used Chinese immigrants as a cheap labor force.

So, at worst, the word is archaic and slightly dismissive, but no more derogatory than calling me an Arkansan.

I doubt TV personnel needs to apologize for calling someone an Arkansan...