I miss DCUC

Lady Jaye

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dcie is the only way to get more related figures.

And since I never have and never will go the sub rout, I guess that's it for my DC figures. That's OK, I guess. Between DC Direct and Mattel, I got pretty much everyone I'll need.

Y'know... I've been on the fence about signing up for the sub again. Some figures such as Jay Garrick, Mirror Master and Star Boy have been completely outstanding but for the most part, the sub has ranged from under-whelming to out right disappointing. I got too many figures that I absolutely have no interest in (John Constantine) to figures that are okay but I really would've preferred about a hundred other characters before getting that one (Uncle Sam, Phantom Stranger.)

Now I see that this December I'm being hit with a thirty-dollar Batzarro figure. Batzarro... I don't remember that one from a lot of want lists.

That one did it for me. Throw in how 90's-centric the line is becoming and I'm really out. Of the figures revealed, nothing is thrilling me. Huntress is in that awful Jim Lee costume. Ice is obligatory... I guess since I'm getting Fire. Hook-handed Aquaman looks like a very nice figure of a look I found ridiculous. For all those asking for this one, I can't see how they'd be disappointed. R'as Al Ghul is yet another re-use of that boring suited body which has turned up way, way too often in this subscription. Doomsday, like Aquaman, is a beautiful figure of a character I loathe. Doomsdayf ans should be happy. Don't worry about Mattel holding him hostage. If they molded him, they'll release him.

Batzarro... That will forever be what killed this line for me.

I was just wondering, why have the Forever People been given the shaft?? Is it that they aren't that known?? They have a good look to them that would translate well in figure form!! Plus the big guy could have been a BAF!!!

I was just wondering, why have the Forever People been given the shaft?? Is it that they aren't that known?? They have a good look to them that would translate well in figure form!! Plus the big guy could have been a BAF!!!

Not to be rude, but I think you just answered your own question by not being able to remember Big Bears name. But then I can only name two out of the five.

Not to be rude, but I think you just answered your own question by not being able to remember Big Bears name. But then I can only name two out of the five.

Big Bear, Beautiful Dreamer, Mark Moonrider, Vykin, Serifan, and Infinity Man....but then I know them from buying their comic back in the day...

Yeah, I don't know too much about them!! I just remember their ad from s long time ago, regarding their mini series!! Their look intrigued me, but I was always Marvel kid!! That's mainly what I grabbed!!!

If this were two or three years ago, I would've bet we'd see the Forever People in some form. Sure they weren't as well known as Batman or Superman, but for some reason the toy companies seem to love the Fourth World characters. Add to that, DCUC was at a point in it's run when it was nothing to include totally out of left-field characters like O.M.A.C., Kamandi or even Black Vulcan.

Of course, as this thread shows, those days are looong gone.

Yeah DCUC was good at giving us those characters that some younger fans had to go and look up, but OMAC and Kamandi were also single characters. I'm sure if they would have done the Forever People it would have been spread out over several waves and people would have been complaining one the first figure was released that it would be (yet(another) team we wouldn't get finished.

Add to that, DCUC was at a point in it's run when it was nothing to include totally out of left-field characters like O.M.A.C., Kamandi or even Black Vulcan.

That it why it will forever be a load of bull when a Mattel rep tells you the reason they went with sub-only is because characters like Poison Ivy, Jay Garrick, or Doomsday "wouldn't sell at retail".

I guess that means the retooled Batman Beyond figure with wings that we saw at Toy Fair isn't going to see the light of day. I was really looking forward to that too. That being said, I will be signing up for the 2014 sub, because I like two of the first three figures shown, namely hook hand Aquaman and Connor Kent Superboy. But, I do like the looks of the new Total Heroes line too. I just hope that the line will include Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter. Now I really have my fingers crossed that Batman Beyond won the figure vote at the DC Mattel panel.

Hey every now and then you get a little sunshine....I found a Red Arrow at Big Lots for $5.....I also found Sinestro but left him as he had a giant splotch of black paint on his forehead.....almost looked like Gorbachev....thanks comrades....

Big Bear, Beautiful Dreamer, Mark Moonrider, Vykin, Serifan, and Infinity Man....but then I know them from buying their comic back in the day...

I remember reading somewhere that Mark Moonrider was actually a contender for that second WalMart exclusive wave ( Ten, I think) but he was dropped in favor of someone else. WalMart got cold feet over MM's obscurity.

Hey every now and then you get a little sunshine....I found a Red Arrow at Big Lots for $5.....I also found Sinestro but left him as he had a giant splotch of black paint on his forehead.....almost looked like Gorbachev....thanks comrades....

I literally left for Big Lots the moment I read they had DCUC. All I could find were those little Batman figures and a bunch of Transformers knock-offs. That's life in the sticks.

I went to 10 BL's all total and hit a few of the same ones again in the same week.....This Red Arrow & Sinestro were literally all I ever saw of any DCUC.........I know here they have those Marvel Avengers tiny statues in droves.....it makes my stomach hurt when I see them.....

• 4 weeks later...

I JUST saw the final DCUC wave at k-Mart. At least I THINK it was. I stopped paying attention to what they call it. They're all the same to me. Anyway....it was the wave with New 52 Batman, Superman, Superboy Prime and Red Robin (though he was all sold out). First time I've ever seen that wave at retail. Just last week.

I JUST saw the final DCUC wave at k-Mart. At least I THINK it was. I stopped paying attention to what they call it. They're all the same to me. Anyway....it was the wave with New 52 Batman, Superman, Superboy Prime and Red Robin (though he was all sold out). First time I've ever seen that wave at retail. Just last week.

I've never seen any of them at retail.

I've never seen any of them at retail.

I've never seen them at retail either.

the end of an era, it was a great half decade of hunting and anticipating.

aahh, those were the times, when Toybiz dropped Legends, I thought that was it, I got disappointed, Hasbro didnt deliver, if it wasn't for that BAF Blob, I wouldn't have bought that wav, 6 inch just isn't their thing.

But a year and a half later, when DC announced they would have their own Series Line, and saw the pics, man, I couldn't wait.

Yup, 5 years passed quickly, when youre enjoyin time.

My new hobby now, is looking at ebay and comparing their prices as to the original when they were at retail. Like that Orion-Ray 2 pack which I bought for $30 at TRU, now is $135 minimum, That's a sure way of enjoying your collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Speaking of characters that "need" to be made.

I stopped by my local Half Price Books and picked up a few clearanced comics!! I found issues 2 & 3 of the Wild Dog mini-series!! And it reminded me that I never got a DCUC version of my odd ball fave DC characters!!

I don't know why I liked this character so much, but I did!! Grittiest character that I read at the time!! It wasn't too bad, tame by today's standards, but enough for this youngster!!

And now, I'll never have a Wild Dog on my shelf!! I know he was a huge long shot, but the way DCUC was on a roll there, it was a matter of time!! What happened I just don't know? This line could have continued!!