Toys 'R Us battles gender roles with toy ad

Wheeljack35

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/20190691/2012/11/26/toys-r-us-battles-gender-roles-with-toys-ad

Toys 'R Us in Sweden is taking a different approach to their ads this year. They've embraced the gender-neutral approach -- toys that both boys and girls can play with.

One ad shows a boy playing with a doll. Another shows a girl holding a toy gun. And then there's an ad that shows both a boy and a girl playing with a dollhouse.

Click the link for the video

My daughter already plays with "boy's toys"!

But boys with baby dolls?

I think its more acceptable for girls to play with boys toys... This is an example of how to the get your son beat up by other boys...

Not only that but I also was thinking this is the wussification of a generation

• 1 month later...

But what does that imply? That it's demeaning to be a girl or to do girl things? Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

I don't see this at all as wussification. Simply blurring the gender barrier. Don't see what's so bad about that.

That girl holding the toy gun seemed REALLY into it XD

My daughter already plays with "boy's toys"!

But boys with baby dolls?

I think its more acceptable for girls to play with boys toys... This is an example of how to the get your son beat up by other boys...

Isn't that the point, though? Changing perceptions so kids don't have to be beat up or face ridicule for something as harmless as the toys they play with?

After taking courses in child psychology and social problems I have heard so much on gender roles in society. From those viewpoints gender is considered a constuct and that society enforces uber macho manliness on boys and extreme girlishness on girls yadda yadda yadda. When I was a kid, my parents didn't enforce any specific gender stereotypes on me, I just naturally gravitated towards manly things like trucks and Dinosaurs. My little sister's Barbie dolls did not interest me in the slightest. Honestly I feel that most kids are the way I was ,and they will choose what gender type suits them most. I know my Grandmother freaked out over me playing with a Mcdonalds play set when I was 4, because she thought cooking was too girly. My parents knew something like that was gender neutral, and the fact is many of the best cooks in America are men. tongue.gif

As for the wussification of America my science class brought up an interesting theory on that. Polluted water has been feminizing male reptiles and amphibians for quite some time, it is very possible that us humans are being affected too.

The picture below is a man believe it or not!

Bailey-Jay1.jpg

There are certain toys I would be okay with both a boy & girl playing with- legos, maybe easy bake... but blurring the lines is not good, b/c a boy needs to become a man, & a girl a woman. There should be no confusion, that is just wrong, IMO. Everything has to be blurred nowadays... What's wrong with being strong in who you are??