G4 Cancels 'Attack Of The Show!' And 'X-Play'

Wheeljack35

http://enewsi.com/television/191-23559.html

Attack of the Show! and X-Play are the longest-running and defining series for G4 through its first decade. With the shows ending production at the end of 2012, G4 is getting set to showcase the landmark series as they wind down their long runs on the network.

With upwards of 1,700 and 1,300 episodes, respectively, Attack of the Show! and X-Play defined the gamer culture for a generation of young men, and served as the launch pad for prominent personalities including Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Chris Hardwick and Adam Sessler. Guests James Cameron, Ryan Reynolds, Jimmy Fallon, William Shatner, Sasha Baron Cohen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are among the notables who got their geek on. The shows also pioneered live-from-the-floor coverage of the two most important conventions in the game culture universe: San Diego Comic-Con and E3.

Leading up to their final episodes, Attack of the Show! and X-Play will look back at their most memorable moments, important scoops, entertaining programming and appealing hosts. A rotating lineup of guest co-hosts like John Barrowman, Michael Ian Black, Josh Myers, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel and Horatio Sanz will join AOTS hosts Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood, and X-Play hosts Morgan Webb and Blair Herter as part of the farewell shows.

"Attack of the Show! and X-Play have been important for G4, and we want to acknowledge the creative people who have helped inspire and showcase the phenomenon of gamer culture," G4 Media General Manager Adam Stotsky said. "With more than 3,000 episodes aired between them, we have more than enough great material to honor these innovators and their amazing contributions as we bring both shows to a close."

Attack of the Show! debuted March 28, 2005 and from the start was the ultimate male guide to everything cool and new in the world of technology, web culture, gaming and pop culture. For the next few months, AOTS will mix new segments with audience favorites, such as the iPhone extravaganza on June 29, 2007, on the eve of the debut of the first generation of Apple's market-changing smartphone. The July 2006 premiere of the first live-from-the-floor coverage from San Diego Comic-Con will be celebrated as well. Old friends will return to join the celebration, and the show's signature cheeky attitude and feel-for-the zeitgeist will be very much in evidence.

X-Play made its debut almost two years earlier, on April 28, 2003 (on G4's previous incarnation: TechTV), and immediately became the go-to destination for young men seeking the latest video game news, honest reviews, hands-on demos and exclusive video game trailers and footage. The year-end celebration will take viewers back through highlights of this landmark show's history, including its exclusive live-from-the-floor coverage of the E3 convention in Los Angeles, the most important annual gathering for the gaming community. X-Play has also established a franchise of doing an annual year-end round-up of the best in a wide range of video games, and you can be sure those will be revisited before the show signs-off for good. As with AOTS, expect old friends to return too.

Attack of the Show! and X-Play will air original episodes through the end of the year.

I stopped watching Attack of the Show after Kevin left it became really stupid and I didn't like the male hosts having this news monologe.Kevin didn't do it why should they? I know people left because of this and because Kevin left..Kevin now will host a game show on the SyFy Network right after Black Out

The biggest thing I will miss is the coverage of the SDCC they have.I don't know if it will still be covered since the backbone of the covergae was done by Attack of the Show

Now they have an extra hour and a half a day to show Ninja Warrior.

Seriously though, this is sad news. I too only watch it for the SDCC coverage, but this wasn't always the case. I remember watching AOTS back in Olivia Munn's peak. I watched X-Play during the late PS2/XBox era and well into the generation of current consoles. However, after I became a dad I kind of stopped watching both. I just don't have the time for that stuff anymore. Rumors have swirled that this was inevitable. Regardless, I'll miss knowing that these shows are still on.

Guess they needed the time slots for more Cops and Knight Rider reruns :rolleyes: .

Can't say I'll miss AOTS, but I kinda liked X-Play.

Whoa whoa whoa...Knight Rider is on G4?

Wouldn't know since DirecTv dropped G4 long ago.

same here. I didn't miss it much though.

But I thought AOTS and X-play were the only original shows they had.... the rest are reruns of old shows, right?

so what will G4 be now? It's like ESPN canceling Sportscenter

I knew G4 was done for when they started playing cops and cheaters over and over again. What the hell do those shows have to do with video games or technology? Now they want to turn it into another spike tv, which is garbage.

The channel has been heading that way once it went from TechTV to G4. Now it's just finally starting to show how utterly stupid the idea was to become Spike TV light without ANY original programming besides these two shows and con coverage. Honestly, who the #$## thought shows like Cheaters and cops would appeal to the gamer/techgeek culture?

I knew G4 was done for when they started playing cops and cheaters over and over again. What the hell do those shows have to do with video games or technology? Now they want to turn it into another spike tv, which is garbage.

The channel has been heading that way once it went from TechTV to G4. Now it's just finally starting to show how utterly stupid the idea was to become Spike TV light without ANY original programming besides these two shows and con coverage. Honestly, who the #$## thought shows like Cheaters and cops would appeal to the gamer/techgeek culture?

I dunno when they changed to G4, but I remember 2003-2005 being pretty decent. The channel still had Icons, Cinamatech, and X-play was still good back then. I also liked the anime unleashed stuff. The channel unfortunately had shows that had nothing to do with gamers like The Man Show and some Fast and Furious style drama show. Both of those show should have been on spike. It seems like it became the worst in 2006, and has been spiraling down further.

The douchebag ceo of G4 and whoever watches cops and cheaters is to blame for the success of those shows on G4. He stated that those shows had high ratings. @grumpy@

This was one station that cries out for shows like Comic Book Men,Toy Hunters and Collector Intervention.If it had shows like this I would of lived on this network

Yeah I loved attack of the show. It was just never the same after Kevin left. When Olivia left that was the first crack, I always thought her and Kevin had great on screen Chemistry together. Once Kevin parted I knew it was only a matter of time. With that being said I think I will miss Alison Haislip the most.

Yeah I loved attack of the show. It was just never the same after Kevin left. When Olivia left that was the first crack, I always thought her and Kevin had great on screen Chemistry together. Once Kevin parted I knew it was only a matter of time. With that being said I think I will miss Alison Haislip the most.

After she showed her lefty views she turned me off

I do like Candace ever see the time they had bugs on the show and she freaked out big time? Sara Underwood is a little hottie