Marvel Masterworks

Lady Jaye

Well when I was a kid, I managed to save and then splurge on one of these then new hardcover masterpieces!! I picked up the Fantastic Four one!! I was so proud of that book!! I handled it with such care, carefully reading the book cover to cover!! I loved it!! So cool seeing how the Marvel Universe started out!! They were so different back then, especially the Thing!!

Well recently I came across 2 Marvel Masterworks at 2 used bookstores!! I picked up Spider Man vol 1 and X-Men vol 2!! I'm going to continue to look for these blasts from the past!! I won't be trying to get them all, just too many!! But finding the first 2 or 3 of the main titles will be enough!!

I can be a perfectionist, but to overcome the covers being all torn up, just going to take them off!! The hardcovers look nice without the covers!!

So anyone here collected these?? Since when?? Your first one??

I'm trying to get hardcover versions of X-Men stuff and softcover of everything else. So far I have Uncanny X-Men vol 1 and 2 hardcover which covers everything from Giant Sized #1 and #94-110. I'm done with those then because I have everything from #111 on in single issues. I'm always keeping my eyes open for original X-Men HCs.

The rest of the masterworks are in softcover. I have Amazing Spidey vols 1-5 (I think), FF vol 1, and Incredible Hulk vol 1. Yep, nothing like old Marvel stuff.

I had thought about picking up some of the Hardcover editions of these, but I found a great deal on the Avengers and Captain America Omnibus editions. I did pick up the softcover version of Avengers Vol.4 to follow up the story from the Omnibus. I have been looking at some of the Masterwork editions of some of the Golden Age Cap books because that seems to be the only way to get reprints of some of those stories.

The masterworks are great books. I wish I had them. The elder art for most comics was the best stuff. 12 cent titles and so on. Now just seems like a bad time. The art is tossed out digitally. Not a ton of pen to paper and so on going on. Understood with the amount of books coming but the days of Starlin and the like. Nothing like it...

• Like 1

I remember when the Hardcover Marvel Masterworks were originally released. I was only about 7 or 8, but I wanted them pretty bad...needless to say they were quite out of my price range. Being a huge Spider-Man fan, I wanted my dad to buy the first Amazing Spider-Man volume, but it never did happen. Now, many years later, I was glad to see the Masterworks again in paperback. I have yet to buy any of the Amazing Spider-Man books, but I am glad to have bought The first 4 Uncanny X-Men books(I have yet to buy Vol. 5). I tend to have a special place in my heart for Marvel's vintage books mainly because that's where it all really began. I love the artwork from these past artists, its just timeless in my eyes and I love that it can live on with the Masterwork editions.

I had a couple of them when they first came out in the 90's: I got the first FF, X-Men, and Avengers ones.

I started getting them again with the reissued/revamped ones in 2003.

I was getting them sporactically for a couple of years but I've started collecting them hardcore about a year and a half ago. I only get the variant covers ones.

I currently have 97 issues and I plan on getting another 6 or 7 tomorrow at a local sale at my comicbook store.

My goal is to have all of them in the next 2 years.

I'm with those of you who were not available to get these back in the day!! I don't know how I saved for one, but I did!!! I still remember going to the mall and getting it at one of the bookstores there!!! I was so proud of my hardcover FF Masterworks!! Love reading y'all's stories too!!

So Captain T, as I look into these online, from what I gather, the variant covers are meant to look just like the original marble covers?? If I collected these bran new, I would def get those versions as well!!

I never knew so many existed!! There's so many now!! I've seen pics of complete collections, pretty impressive!! But I'm just going for used copies, so whatever I can find is ok with me!!

Oh and those omnibus books, monsters!!! 0_0

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you buy them used?? Get a good deal on 'em?? I've hit a dry spell, it's been awhile since I've bought one!!

Would love to find first books on Hulk, Thor, or Cap!! I've yet to see any of those!! Found a couple of Spidey 1's, maybe ill get them to trade??