G.I. Joe Relaunches Again In February From IDW

The Wire

They're not relaunching Hama's Joe comic right? That one still shows a lot of the old magic that made the Marvel GI Joe series my favorite comic series of all time.

They're not relaunching Hama's Joe comic right?

I doubt it. For better or worse, IDW seems to have a very "hands off" policy when it comes to Hama's book. Based on pretty much every interview I've read with editors and artists, they just let him write and seem very reluctant to tell him what to do. Like they're afraid to make him mad or something. I guess it's OK to let a writer have near complete control once in a while, just to see where they take you next. You certainly aren't going to see that at Marvel or DC...

That series must have really been selling poorly if IDW is relaunching G.I. Joe again.

Not necessarily. New SOP for ALL comics is to re-number after 20 or 30-some issues.

And that's a dang shame. Every new creative team has to have a #1 issue to lead off. When I was a kid the numbering on the issue was an important thing. Now it's just taken for granted, or after 4 volumes it returns to it's original numbering.

yeah relaunching is pretty common now days. The idea being people tend to buy #1 more cause I guess they think a #1 will be more valuable. I think its ridiculous and a tactic used by comic book companies that has become very transparent and way over used. Anyone who thinks all these #1's that flood the market now days are ever really going to be valuable, well I have some swamp land to sell you to.

yeah relaunching is pretty common now days. The idea being people tend to buy #1 more cause I guess they think a #1 will be more valuable. I think its ridiculous and a tactic used by comic book companies that has become very transparent and way over used. Anyone who thinks all these #1's that flood the market now days are ever really going to be valuable, well I have some swamp land to sell you to.

Oh yeah, that's true. Number 1s aren't really ever worth much. What makes comics valuable are events. I remember back during Marvel's Civil War there were a few issues of Amazing Spider-Man that I had that just kept going up in value. First it was the one where he revealed his real identity to the world. Then there was the first appearance of the Iron-Spidey costume. It's so hard to keep up with the value of comics these days. I generally just assume that what I have isn't worth more than the cover price. I don't collect for investment anyway. I read 12-14 comics a month and I'm certainly not going to throw them away.

What makes comics valuable are events.

Problem is the "event" these days are all just sales gimmics, like the endless number 1 issues, they make themselves meaningless. Like the spideer-man identity reveal you mentioned. It was immediately retconed .....AFTER everyone bought the book. I found one in a dollar bin just recently. Comics have big problems right now.

• Like 1

I am very much reminded of DDP's early America's Elite. A new writer that hasn't tackled Joe before, a new superhero dynamic, small team, strange new customs, and a new number 1. I really feel it was the fan reaction to those changes that lead to DDP loosing the license. It picked back up when things went more millitary, when they added more cameo's again, and the art and style took a change, but it was too late. The outrage caused the DDP boards to be shut down, it was in fact so bad some that were turned off then never even gave IDW a try. Why on earth would IDW want to repeat that?

Not to mention a longstanding complaint many have with IDW is the increasingly disconnected feeling it has with all other Joe. DDP at least tried to use some toy uniforms and almost always the characters. Hashtag? Sounds like scoops job to me. I also may be an old fogey here, but hashtag still sounds like a pot reference to me.

as far as a relaunch goes? I am not opposed to them if done reasonable. At one point IDW as doing "seasons" at this made since, but if they are doing it, there should be a 2nd number, marvel style, and season number, inside the cover, to keep readers aware of the continuity.

Not to mention a longstanding complaint many have with IDW is the increasingly disconnected feeling it has with all other Joe. DDP at least tried to use some toy uniforms and almost always the characters. Hashtag? Sounds like scoops job to me. I also may be an old fogey here, but hashtag still sounds like a pot reference to me.

Yeah, you reminded me why droped out of the non-Hama Joeverse. I'm not going to label him the greatest writer by any means, but like I say, it appears he's being allowed two write what he wants to write, gimmick-free. AND you just need to follow one book to get the whole story.

I should add that Justin from Generalsjoes pointed out that Scoop has already been killed in the IDW verse, I missed that! changes up my point about hashtag abit.

• 3 weeks later...

from a new press release, “It’s G.I. JOE with a superhero spin. This is the G.I. JOE comic I've wanted to make for 10 years and the one I've wanted to read for 20!” - Kurth. (The artist)

Wait the writer said we were reading to much into the super hero looks of the costumes on the cover on Generalsjoes, and maybe hisstank too??? Are these two on the same book?