baneblade

GREEN LANTERN - NEW 52 - QUESTIONS

I had actually jumped off several titles after the NEW 52 launch as the DC Universe was 'overhauled'. I heard now, however, that the Green Lantern series in spite of the NEW 52 retains all of its 'original series' storyline and characterization. I am looking to try to get the next volume, but can anyone (who has continuously read the series confirm that the storyline and characterization arr indeed as they are? My other subsequent questions are:

1) If the series is in the same direction and mold, then are these characters somehow situated 'outside' normal 52 continuity? (Or has any of the characters gotten in touch with the 'new' versions of Superman, or Flash etc.)

2) If they are indeed in touch with the ramifications of the new 52, then what about the 'Lantern' who interacted with Batman in the JLA storyline. Is that an entirely new Lantern?

Hence, in a capsule, to get back into my favourite DC series, I wanted to clarify:

- If the new Green Lantern universe is situated in continuity of the New 52

- If Hal Jordan is back

- If there are ramifications in the new Lantern universe associated with the new 52 as well.

I am asking this as I was also informed by my regular comic vendor that Jordan is still 'exiled' but the rest are working in the New 52.

Some help please.

Yes, it has continued on in spite of the reboot. Some things have been tweaked to fit in with the rest of the New 52 (likes Hals involvement in Justice League), but the majority of it is the same (and no, it doesn't sit outside of the new continuity).

-There has been an appearance or two by the Stormwatch team (which includes Martian Manhunter), so they do interact with the rest of the 52 cast.

-Hal is still exiled, but Sinestro makes him a new ring and the two kind of team up. Not as bad as it sounds.

-There is a new lantern that showed up recently, Simon Baz - I won't spoil the story, but his is very important to some other characters.

-The only real difference when reading these titles is that Hal has a more armored look to his uniform...heh.

All 4 titles are pretty good (Gl, GLC, Red Lanterns, and New Guardians) - they're pretty much the only DC I read now.

The continuity is 99.9% untouched, especially regarding Hal. He is back in a Green Lantern Uniform courtesy of Sinestro up to issue #12 & the annual, you really need to read those! Hal's continuity is pretty much untouched since Johns took over, so Rebirth-GL-Sinestro Corps War-Blackest Night-War of Green Lanterns is all still in continuity.

There has been a slight tweaking to Guy's past, as it seems his time as a member of the Justice League/JL International in the late 80's-early 90's seems to be erased, as he doesn't recognize his long time teammate Martian Manhunter, other than that it's a direction continuation of GLC Recharge-Green Lantern Corps-War of Green Lanterns.

Kyle's continuity is pretty much untouched as well, however they put a timeline on how long he's been a Green Lantern. They say he's only been a Green Lantern for 2 years, which is something I have a problem with. That means that the events from Green Lantern #50 in 1993 to the present all occurred in 2 years. That means Hal went crazy as Parallax & killed the Corps, Kyle became the Torchbearer Green Lantern, the last of the Corps,

Kyle's continuity is pretty much untouched as well, however they put a timeline on how long he's been a Green Lantern. They say he's only been a Green Lantern for 2 years, which is something I have a problem with. That means that the events from Green Lantern #50 in 1993 to the present all occurred in 2 years. That means Hal went crazy as Parallax & killed the Corps, Kyle became the Torchbearer Green Lantern, the last of the Corps,

And Hal went crazy as Parallax and killed the Corps because Mongul destroyed Coast City in the Reign of Supermen storyline. A storyline that's been erased. That's almost as mind boggling as Batman having an adolescent son by Talia even though he's only been active as Batman for five years. Just one of many continuity f ups that occur when you choose to reboot most but not all of your characters. Good one, DC.