With the success of Arrow, what if...

Lady Jaye

Do you think it could be pulled off?? Which one would interest you the most??

If Metropolis were created, would you like to see the Smallville actors come over?? Or would a new group of actors be better??

If a second DC Universe show, in which costumed heroes are shown, is created; imagine the possible crossovers and guest stars!!! Sounds exciting!!

I think a Batman year one type I thing could work too!! More focused on crime fighting using detective skills and less on gagets!! But the suit and gagets have to come into play at sometime!!!

• 2 months later...

I actually DON'T like Arrow, but I did watch up through the two Huntress episodes to give it a fair shot.

I find it kind of a bait-and-switch superhero show. I am familiar with the characters from the comics, so I know fairly well what to expect, but when you boil it down, no one really has "powers", they're barely wearing any costumes, and it's basically a show about vigilantes running around town shooting at each other. Knowing that Katie Cassidy's character is intended to eventually be Black Canary, it looks like there are no plans any time soon to take it there. Merlyn's development looks to be a real slow boil also. The rest of the cast is a bodyguard/driver, his mom, his bratty sister, and his mom's new husband. At BEST these are B-level characters, at worst, it's D-level.

I grew so mad about the construction of the series that I did finally delete it from the DVR after the second Huntress episode, just because it never truly grabbed me and made me pay attention. I was looking forward to who the "guest" character was going to be each episode, but if I'm more interested in one-shot guest characters than the main cast, THAT'S a problem. And characters like China White and the Royal Flush Gang and even Huntress... once they appeared they were more underwhelming than I could have ever imagined.

BUT, the point of this thread is about other show opportunities, and I DEFINITELY am behind a series based on Batman, based purely on the fact that most of the characters are A-list and B-list and recognizable by the general population because of relevance in the media since the 1960s. TV shows, movies, cartoons, who doesn't know the entire Batman cast from Bruce to Alfred to Commissioner Gordon to Joker to Poison Ivy to even Bane.

So I got so psyched about how much BETTER a "Gotham" series would have been than Arrow, and they could have even used the same Arrow mansion set, heck, ALL the sets, and the characters would have been so much richer with so much more popular, recognizable source material that it could go another 10 seasons like Smallville ended up doing.

So I'm writing one. Outlining one, at least. Season by season. As it's developing, there's a large over-arching storyling that stretches each season, and then each episode also has a self-contained story driven by a different villain of the week. Taken much more seriously than the 1966 campy live-action series, much in the "tone" in which Arrow is presented.

I've worked out casting of most major roles, and have loose outlines stretching into a season seven, so far.

I'll come back with loose ideas and casting suggestions.

Concepts & Casting for "GOTHAM"

Season One / Year One

Main Cast:

Bruce Wayne / Batman - Matt Bomer

Selina Kyle / Catwoman - Morena Baccarin

Commissioner Jim Gordon - James Caan (I'm still not solid on this choice, open to suggestions)

Alfred Pennyworth - James Cromwell

D.A. Harvey Dent - Patrick Wilson

Oswald Cobblepot / The Penguin - Armin Shimerman

Supporting / Recurring Cast:

Lucius Fox – Avery Brooks

Vicki Vale – Jennifer Ferrin

Detective Harvey Bullock – Greg Grunberg

Detective Renee Montoya – Rebeka Montoya

Leslie Thompkins – Kate Mulgrew

Barbara Gordon – Lucy Hale

Edward Nashton / Edward Nigma / Riddler – Zachary Quinto

The Joker – Steve Buscemi

Hugo Strange – Anders Hove

Jervis Tetch / The Mad Hatter – Peter Dinklage

Dr. Victor Fries / Mr. Freeze – Sebastian Roché

Dr. Pamela Isley / Poison Ivy – Annie Wersching

Julian Gregory Day / The Calendar Man - ?

“Two-Face” – Patrick Wilson

Carmine “The Roman” Falcone – Adrian Pasdar

Synopsis:

Season One explores the origins of Bruce Wayne, Selina Kyle, the crumbling state of Gotham City, and some of its most dangerous and nefarious criminals. Wayne returns to Gotham after two years away (a supposed philanthropic tour covering for some covert training). While the city is plagued by the Falcone crime family, the combined forces of Batman, Commissioner Gordon, and D.A. elect Harvey Dent work to restore law and order to Gotham, much to the detriment of their own personal lives. A serial killer, known only as “Holiday” is taking a life on a holiday every month, usually connected to the Falcone family. Meanwhile, a new brand of super-criminal is being born, as Gotham is faced with the emergence of Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Riddler, Joker, Catwoman, Hugo Strange, and The Mad Hatter. By the season finale, the identity of Holiday is revealed, Harvey Dent is radically transformed into the insane villain Two-Face, and Gotham City will never be the same.

Structure:

13 episodes for the first season, to keep the premiere season tight and sharp. Each episode loosely covers a month of time in Gotham City, starting with October, the first strike of the Holiday killer. Of course the first season is based on the story Long Halloween, with the mystery of the Holiday killer being the season-long storyline, culminating in the creation of Two-Face in the second-to-last episode of the season, and episode 13 depicts the following October where the audience learns the true identity (identities?) of the holiday killer. Each episode debuts its own in-episode villain with a storyline spotlighting them, and for the most part season one covers origins of major villains listed above. The viewers are also introduced to Barbara Gordon who ends up as the "Alice" of Mad Hatter's fixation. Vicki Vale is another supporting character who immediately becomes suspicious of the timing of both Bruce Wayne and Batman's returns, and begins an investigation into their separate timelines looking for correlations. As a main character, Penguin operates the Iceberg Lounge, as a nerve center of criminal activity, but remaining open as an information resource for Batman, who tolerates him operating on the fine line between legal and illegal. The other main character, Catwoman, is explored as a parallel to Batman, his primary love interest (though Vicki Vale gets a little time, and possibly one or two other women), and possibly greatest match. Possible ties between Selina Kyle and the Falcone crime family are explored as well. Following seasons will be a longer 22 episodes (as sophomore seasons can have greater episodes ordered by the network based on the success of a freshman season). Storylines will not happen chronologically according to comic book timeline, but will continue to have long-term arcs based on popular comic book storylines or a combination of storylines featuring a select group of characters.

I always thought the orignal version of the Secret SIx would have made for a good TV series after coming across the concept when Action Comics went weekly and they did a follow up to it. Doom Patrol might work. Maybe a New Gods series on SyFi, but only if they only stayed with the New Gods. A weekly Demon series on the vain of Supernatural? There's a lot of potential, it's just that there's a lot of things that have to line up just right: Where will it air, what's the Demographic, how do you play the show (comedy, drama, whatever). I do believe that DC has a lot wider potential than Marvel would unless you start bringing in stuff that Marvel did pre 1963.