Will SCOTUS make it illegal to resell your stuff?

Wheeljack35

If you buy an iPod or a phone, a book or a DVD, it’s currently legal to resell it, as thousands of eBay and Craigslist posts attest.....

Check it out here

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/08/will_scotus_make_it_illegal_to_resell_your_stuff/

and here

http://www.costaricantimes.com/your-right-to-resell-your-own-items-might-be-ruled-illegal/6225

I'm not surprised by this at all. Big corporations hate it when consumers can get a better deal on used products. The game industry has been trying to combat it by putting in online passes with games. The online passes can only be used once, so if you buy a game used you would most likely not be able to play online unless you buy an online pass separately. @grumpy@

• Like 1

well this sucks what freedoms are the corporations going to take away next f**k North America is steadily becoming another china

Why does everybody thinks it corporations? Hell it could be same idiots who want us to not have christmas and remove all the decorations

well this sucks what freedoms are the corporations going to take away next f**k North America is steadily becoming another china

Why does everybody thinks it corporations? Hell it could be same idiots who want us to not have christmas and remove all the decorations

It is because it makes sense. As people have said, the only ones who are hurting are the companies who aren't making any profit from 2nd hand sales. It doesn't make sense if a bleeding heart liberal who hates Christmas to make a law not to resell items.

A lot of laws that are related to intellectual properties and goods are because of big corporations. The reason why downloading MP3 files for free at torrent sites is illegal because of big corporations. Before mp3 files became popular, it was legal to copy or record songs through the tv, radio, etc.. Now you need a license to record a song off of youtube.

Disney is also responsible for the reason why we have copyright laws. It was done to protect businesses from copyright infringment.

so ebay wont exist anymore? lol, i sell my things if there is a law or not. i dont care. maybe it doesnt affect me since i live overseas but if this comes to this then i piss on the lawbook. soon you cant even take a walk outside and it is allready forbidden. not a week later there will be a law against the law anyway just so it manages to be ok for any company to do it. like always the little guy gets a hit. what is the world coming to really?

in this case it is the corporations they want people to stop reselling their products so they gain more money by people buying retail a prime example is those damn codes for online videogames

copyrights and trademark do not concern resale, unless the item is knock off or bootleg to begin with.

Illegal file sharing could be construed as bootlegging, the same as taking a comic to a photocopier and distributing it for or no profit. This does not affect the resale of legallly bought items.

I personally believe that these sites that facilitate this should be taken down, but I'm not sure any specific company is 100% in favor of that because it still keeps their brand visible and is easy marketing. Besides, everyone always wants the original, not a knock off.

I can see comics because these days they want you buying new trades or hard covers or simply subscribing to there online sites to read older comics rather than simply buying them... I can also not see it though cause this would hurt comic shops everyplace which are already in trouble lol they are not ready to go full on digital yet ... perhaps when they are ...

Doom Saber said it pretty nicely, but I'm going to give my answer as well. Big corporations are INDEED the cause of stuff like this. The RIAA and MPAA pushed SOPA to congress. They were the biggest backers of that bill. Big corportions show no party loyalty either, as long as politicians are willing to cave in to their demands.

Although some hysterical Irony is that bleeding heart celebrities like Lady Gaga become uber capitalists when they find out someone is downloading their music.