Walter Koenig explains how Star Wars saved Star Trek from dying

Wheeljack35

http://blastr.com/2012/09/walter-koenig-explains-ho.php

Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek helped inspire some of the greatest sci-fi of the last few decades, and is still hanging around blowing up the box office. But according to original Trek star Walter Koenig, fans should be thanking Star Wars for the longevity of Roddenberry's vision.

Koenig, who played Chekov on Star Trek: The Original Series, did a sit-down with The Hollywood Reporter to celebrate his newly added star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and reminisced about his role in the legendary series.

Interestingly, Koenig said Trek owes a debt of gratitude to George Lucas' Star Wars for keeping sci-fi cool in the late '70s and early '80s, opening the door for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek: The Next Generation:

"When finally ran out of air on in 1969, we concluded that it was the end of Star Trek. But when George Lucas saw the effect we had on the public, he was inspired to create Star Wars, and that in turn brought the people of Paramount around to saying, what do we have to make a feature and perhaps a franchise out of? And then they remembered they had Star Trek. So one thing feeds off another."

Koenig may be onto something, and it makes sense that without Star Wars keeping the home fires burning, the world may not have been as open to a Trek revival.

What do you think? Did Star Wars help save Star Trek?

I remember as a kid watching the old Mike Douglas show that was on at 4pm daily and he had the cast of Trek on to promote ST:TMP.They themslves said it was Star Wars that bought back Star Trek

Back then every body wanted their own Star Wars since it was so huge

Paramount had Star Trek so they finally bought it back and besides that we first saw Battlestar Galactica for Universal and of course Flash Gordan and Buck Rodgers were bought out of mothballs as well

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's a crock, no offense to Koenig. The only similarity between the two is that they are both set mostly in space and both of them have ships with beam weapons. That's about it.

Star Wars has been called a "space fantasy", which I think is quite apt. Star Trek was true (if light) sci-fi. I think they affected each other only in the most general sense... and Star Wars came out what, 7 or 8 years after TOS completed its run?

I think it's a crock, no offense to Koenig. The only similarity between the two is that they are both set mostly in space and both of them have ships with beam weapons. That's about it.

Star Wars has been called a "space fantasy", which I think is quite apt. Star Trek was true (if light) sci-fi. I think they affected each other only in the most general sense... and Star Wars came out what, 7 or 8 years after TOS completed its run?

as I stated in an earlier post in this thread The cast of trek said it was Star wasrs..The populairty of it that did bring back trek from the grave

At the time it was the best time to be a SciFi fan..Because everybody want a Star wars of their own we seen trek coming back the emergence of Battlestar Galactica and alot of other movies

• 2 weeks later...