DC comics introduces Arab-Muslim Green Lantern

featofstrength

Mohammad on the other hand condoned lying, beating women, and yes commanded killing infidels.

Yup. You can try in vain to lighten the atrocities of the Muslim faith by bringing up the bad apples of the Christian faith, but you just cant compare those foundations.

but anyway, with the world events of the past few days getting worse, maybe DC should restrict the new Gl's airspace til things cool down...

• Like 2

Here are some of the commands this Green Lantern would have to uphold.

Mohammed said, “I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, none has the right to be worshipped but Allah” (Al Bukhari vol. 4:196)

How about this one for unbelievers, Sura 4:89 “seize them and slay them wherever you find them: and in any case take no friends or helpers from their ranks.”

Sura, 2:190-292 “Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits, for Allah does not love transgressors. And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out: For tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; But fight them not at the sacred Mosque unless they first fight you there; But if they fight you, Slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.”

The Quran in Sura 4:34 says: ” If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great ” Sounds a lot different than being Sacrificial like Christ was for the church to your wives doesn’t it?

Please remember though, Jesus would have all saved, and we should remember to Hate the sin and Love the sinner!

Luke 6:27 says, ” “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,” NASB.

I point this out because I do not feel most Americans, and even Christians are educated on the teachings of the Koran.

Just in case anyone brings ups the crusades or Death in the Old Testament, I want to make it clear in advance that’s a moot point. The Nation of Israel acted like a NATION most of the time, But Christianity was never meant to function as a nation. Mark 12:17 records “And Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” And they were amazed at Him” (NASB) Not to mention a new covenant came into play here, one much more focused on teaching it’s disciples to be selfless and giving, and more inward focused than outward. Those witch hunts and crusades etc. are actions of a “Christian” government and often for political gain. Some of the Muslims are indeed manipulated (sadly) into terrorism but it goes much further than terrorism or political acts.

This was taken originally from a debate I had with someone on Facebook (these are my comments) and I also u,%20then%20ignore%20them%20when%20you%20go%20to%20bed,%20then%20hit%20them.%20If%20they%20obey%20you,%20you%20have%20no%20right%20to%20act%20against%20them.%20God%20is%20most%20high%20and%20great%20%E2%80%9D%20Sounds%20a%20lot%20different%20than%20being%20Sacrificial%20like%20Christ%20was%20for%20the%20church%20to%20your%20wives%20doesn%E2%80%99t%20it?%20%20Please%20remember%20though,%20Jesus%20would%20have%20all%20saved,%20and%20we%20should%20remember%20to%20Hate%20the%20sin%20and%20Love%20the%20sinner%21%20%20Luke%206:27%20says,%20%E2%80%9D%20%E2%80%9CBut%20I%20say%20to%20you%20who%20hear,%20love%20your%20enemies,%20do%20good%20to%20those%20who%20hate%20you,%E2%80%9D%20NASB.%20%20I%20point%20this%20out%20because%20I%20do%20not%20feel%20most%20Americans,%20and%20even%20Christians%20are%20educated%20on%20the%20teachings%20of%20the%20Koran.%20%20Just%20in%20case%20anyone%20brings%20ups%20the%20crusades%20or%20Death%20in%20the%20Old%20Testament,%20I%20want%20to%20make%20it%20clear%20in%20advance%20that%E2%80%99s%20a%20moot%20point.%20The%20Nation%20of%20Israel%20acted%20like%20a%20NATION%20most%20of%20the%20time,%20But%20Christianity%20was%20never%20meant%20to%20function%20as%20a%20nation.%20Mark%2012:17%20records%20%E2%80%9CAnd%20Jesus%20said%20to%20them,%20%E2%80%9CRender%20to%20Caesar%20the%20things%20that%20are%20Caesar%E2%80%99s,%20and%20to%20God%20the%20things%20that%20are%20God%E2%80%99s.%E2%80%9D%20And%20they%20were%20amazed%20at%20Him%E2%80%9D%20%28NASB%29%20Not%20to%20mention%20a%20new%20covenant%20came%20into%20play%20here,%20one%20much%20more%20focused%20on%20teaching%20it%E2%80%99s%20disciples%20to%20be%20selfless%20and%20giving,%20and%20more%20inward%20focused%20than%20outward.%20Those%20witch%20hunts%20and%20crusades%20etc.%20are%20actions%20of%20a%20%E2%80%9CChristian%E2%80%9D%20government%20and%20often%20for%20political%20gain.%20Some%20of%20the%20Muslims%20are%20indeed%20manipulated%20%28sadly%29%20into%20terrorism%20but%20it%20goes%20much%20further%20than%20terrorism%20or%20political%20acts."]pdated blog with the quotes.

He looks cool, but I don't get the gun at all. No Green Lantern needs a sidearm. I'm sure they thought it through, but I find any good explanation hard to imagine. Is he the only friggin' Green Lantern in the universe that carries a weapon other than his ring? Seems stupid.

He looks cool, but I don't get the gun at all. No Green Lantern needs a sidearm. I'm sure they thought it through, but I find any good explanation hard to imagine. Is he the only friggin' Green Lantern in the universe that carries a weapon other than his ring? Seems stupid.

Abin Sur died by relying on his space ship over his ring.

So I decided I would comment on the new Muslim Green Lantern, as it is highly related to my work on Israeli Defense Comics.

I think its perfectly fine to introduce a muslim green lantern, although the lack of press or lack of DC desiring mainstream press on this storyline already shows an ambivilence about their desision about the character.

It will be interesting to see how DC deals with Islam in a superhero, and whether the character is written as a superhero first that happens to be Muslim. I think a choice to overemphasize his religious identity will become problematic, considering the hieghtened or "percieved" hieghtened sensitivity by the Islamic community.

As others have commented, his tatooes and gun use are problematic religiously for Islam. Although Jewish superhero characters and villians have demonstrated similar taboos of Judaism, there has been little if any pushback by the Jewish community. I'm afraid DC writers will probably tread carefully on the subject to avoid an inevitable backlash.

I am glad that DC is willing to take a risk, and i think this opens a potential for some great story telling. At the end of the day only time will tell if this is soley a merchandising stunt or if they are sincere in adding depth to the DC universe.

regards

Joshua

• Like 1

i love the green lantern books so why should i stop getting them just because they change directions. cant wait to see what this guy is made off. the gun is easy. sometimes when the ring doesnt work then its kind of good having a little something with you, lol. i agree though. 5 lanterns from earth?? not counting the red lantern from earth. its a little much if you ask me for a power that is suppose to be so special.

Saw the pictures of the character before I read this, didn't know he was a muslim, my first thought was Mexican Wrestler.

You know, that would be awesome. A luchadore Green Lantern that creates constructs of rings, chairs, tables, other wrestlers to stop criminal scum.

@loll@ Now that would be great, it would be comical, but still creative. Now that I see Baz's costume, he does look like a masked luchador.

i agree though. 5 lanterns from earth?? not counting the red lantern from earth. its a little much if you ask me for a power that is suppose to be so special.

That is one of the issues I have towards comics in general - comics tend to be "bias" in such that they have humans of a specific trait. This is done so that the audience can relate to the character to ensure sales. Sure the new lantern is Mulism, but having 5 lanterns from earth is odd considering that there is suppose to be one lantern per sector in the universe.

Just as I thought. GL #13 was a turd. No sign of Hal or Sinestro. They had to destroy a perfectly good book to introduce a character. They were so afraid of no one caring, they thought they would give him a place of prominence in someone else's book. It led to a royal reader (I have every issue since "Rebirth") skimming through the book in the store and putting it back.

Is there anyone that actually enjoys this new character/direction?

It's a bit early for me to tell since GL#13 was basically a set-up issue. We still don't know much about Baz yet. We did see a sign of Hal and Sinestro in this issue - in the form of a message to the new ringbearer. @smilepunch@

In the context of the story, it makes sense to remove Hal and Sinestro off the board since the Guardians are pretty much hell-bent on taking out all the Green Lanterns. Wasn't Kyle Rayner introduced under similar circumstances, when it was thought that all the Green Lanterns were dead at some point? (I didn't start reading GL until after Rebirth.)

PharmV

if you read the comic you can understand the concept a bit more......I see him using the gun now because since the ring he has is hals and hal is still alive the ring keeps getting error messages and he doesn't have full control of it. So he would want something in case the ring doesn't work to protect himself.

A) I actually do find it offensive that he is a GUN TOTING Muslim. As if to say all Muslims run around with guns.

B ) This comic is not his comic. If it is now, I am not buying it simply because I don't like the way he looks and because of the blatant stereotypes. It's very cheesy and seems empty to me.

C) GL #0 was the "set-up" issue.

A) I actually do find it offensive that he is a GUN TOTING Muslim. As if to say all Muslims run around with guns.

That's not what they're saying, though. They're saying this Muslim totes a gun. I mean, are they also saying all Muslims are Green Lanterns? ;)

That's not what they're saying, though. They're saying this Muslim totes a gun. I mean, are they also saying all Muslims are Green Lanterns? ;)

We have seen other earth lanterns (and in general) not carry a gun, the new factors that come together are his religion and the gun.

my thoughts are here. I am shocked there is even a thread for on TNI at all.I thought we weren't allowed to talk politics and religion on here.

As long as it stays on topic and people are respectful and don't start flaming I don't think it's a problem. As it stands everybody's comments are well written and pertain to this character and the issues that go with him.

Now personally I don't care for the character. He seems very shoe horned into the whole universe. So we have a thuggish Muslim that is branded a terrorist because he drove a truck full of explosives, oh and he uses a gun at that....groan. Between this and making Alan Scott gay I'm beginning to get alittle tired of DC screwing with my lanterns.

If you gotta have the Muslim hero, fine, I can live with that. But FIVE GLs for Earth, hu? Maybe time to retire a couple? I know John Stewart hasn't been interesting since the 1970's....

Supposedly this "Event that lead into another Event" is supposed to be about Guy Gardner's downfall [Geoff Johns let that slip at SDCC]. So I'm not sure if he'll be GL for much longer.

I don't understand the uproar over the gun. Jack T. Chance use to carry one when he was in the Corps.

True but Jack was an alien. Simon Baz is an Arab American Muslim. You can see the playing up of the Muslim extremist stereotype. I'm amazed nobody in editorial questioned that.

Btw. Great article revsears.