S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Let me give a little context first, or the issue won't make any sense. You pretty much have to have been reading Green Lantern for the past few years as Green Lantern somehow survived getting rebooted in the New 52 universe (along with Batman).

The Guardians (Green Lantern's bosses) have pretty much gone crazy and/or turned evil. They have decided that free will is causing too much chaos in the universe. They plan to eliminate all the other color corps, as well as destroy their own Green Lanterns. They are going to raise new warriors as their so-called "Third Army." (I am assuming the Manhunters were their first army and the Green Lantern corps were their second army.)

The Guardians travel to a secret prison holding a being called "the first Green Lantern." It turns out the TFGL has been guarded by a group of Guardians for the past billion years because he is so powerful and unstable. The other-Guardians refuse to release TFGL and a fight ensues until the containment unit breaks and leader of the other-Guardians is killed. The Guardians take the TFGL away in his lantern-prison and lock up the other-Guardians.

Around this time, Sinestro (with a Green Lantern ring) and Hal Jordan (whose ring is empowered by Sinestro because the Guardians dismissed Hal) are fighting Black Hand on earth. The Guardians warp to earth and give Black Hand a power boost. He sucks Sinestro and Hal into his black ring, "killing" them. Before they get sucked away, Sinestro tells they must concentrate together to find a replacement not of the Guardians' choosing and leave a message on the ring.

The Guardians thank Black Hand and decide they will employ him to help "save the universe." They teleport him against his will to the secret prison. Black Hand can't stop them because his boss Nekron (a being powerful enough to withstand the Guardians) is dead.

The Guardians use the power of TFGL (much to his protests) to create the first soldier in their third army, which looks like a bluish zombie monster with no mouth. A police officer unfortunate enough to investigate the battle scene gets attacked by the zombie soldier, who transforms the police officer into a similar being like himself. In the process the police officer's heart pops out. The Guardians are satisfied as these soldiers have no mind of their own and blindly follow the Guardians' will. The Guardians then send one soldier out into the universe to create more soldiers and the other one is to create an army on earth.

Okay, now to the actual issue #0. Simon Baz is an Arab American who has fallen onto hard times. He was laid off at the auto plant and has been stealing cars to make money. As he is being chased by the police in his latest heist, he is horrified to find out that there are bombs packed in the back of the van he took. He drives the van back towards the abandoned auto plant and jumps out. The auto plant explodes

Baz is taken into custody as a suspected terrorist. (Apparently he gets taken into Guantanamo Bay or some place outside America.) He tells the interrogators he is a car thief but not a terrorist. During the interrogation we learn that Baz used to street race back in the day, but he survived a hideous car crash that killed his brother-in-law. (We now learn part of the reason Baz steals is to make money to help out his sister and her kid.) We also learn that the tatoo on Baz' forearms means "courage."

The lead interrogator decides to subject Baz to water-boarding. The second interrogator (Agent Fed - yeah, seriously) protests but reluctantly goes along with it. Apparently, the lead interrogator doesn't like Agent Fed, but can't get rid of him because he is on Amanda Waller's good side for some reason. Baz tries to resist getting waterboarded. Just as Agent Fed draws a gun on Baz to make him stop resisting, Sinestro's GL ring breaks in and chooses Baz. Baz busts out, much to everyone's shock.

Agent Fed reports to Amanda Waller about the incident, but she decides not to tell the Justice League. However, Batman intercepts this conversation and tells Cyborg.

Baz crashes someplace and is unconscious. His ring is glowing with a status notification of "message waiting." Meanwhile Sinestro and Hal are in a black and white place, confused to their whereabouts.

From this issue, I speculate that Baz is carrying gun because he doesn't know or trusts the power of the GL ring (at least early on for the next few issues). He probably chooses a full mask because he is a fugitive and doesn't want anyone to know who he is (especially his sister, I'll bet).

PharmV

All in all, I have no problem with an Arab-Muslim GL or him being a car thief or the storyline of him being a suspected terrorist (though it's a bit strong). The main problem I have is the gun. Why does he need that? A GL has no need for a gun and it's a promotion of violence. Not to mention that Baz (as he's called) had no need for it from the beginning.

If you read the story, you'll understand that the reason he was chosen was due to the ring malfunctioning and also it may be looking for someone that has both Hal Jordan's qualities and Sinestro's qualities.

Will he use his ring for an "Honor Killing"?

Or maybe to crucify some Christians in Egypt (which IS happening, now)..?

.......really dude?

You know I mentioned this to my wife the other day, who is half Arab (she doesn't claim to be Muslim at all since it's not her religion) and she liked the idea, she actually seemed interested and wanted to see what he looks like. When I first read this, I really had that eye-roll reaction that most probably had, since it feels like it has "stunt" written all over it, but after thinking about it for a few days after talking to my wife, I am glad for people who would be draw to this chartacter. I thought, what if I had a little RockThePlank, and he will be a quarter Arab, how would it be for him to be drawn to a character like that? Like he could see the TV and think "that's like me"

So yeah, there are totally Arab people in this world, why not? Don't think I will be buying it since I don't really buy much comics anymore, but I hope it does well. Just don't be a boring GL, I can't stand John Stewart.

Just don't be a boring GL, I can't stand John Stewart.

LOL, I agree with that one. MODERN John Stewart's roll can be filled by any one of the other Earth GLs or any of the alien GLs for that matter. Like I say, he was interesting when he first appeared because he was meant to comment on one of the major issues of society at the time; race. And those original issues he appeared in were pretty good. Check out some quotes from good old JS used in his original appearance that you'd NEVER hear written today.

"Only from now on, maybe you better call me....Black Lantern."

"I won't wear a mask! This black man lets it all hang out!"

"Listen, whitey, that windbag wants to be president! And he's a racist... and he figures on climbing to the White House on the backs of my people!"

Today, JS is watered down with race being less of an issue (in the day-to-day public eye, at least) and he's kept around just becasue. The issue he was created to address is less of a hot button topic these days.

With that in mind, what IS a hot button topic? Arabs and Muslims. So today we get this Arab guy. IT'S THE SAME THING! Now like I said, I believe those O'Neil GL stories were classics, well done, I liked them a lot. I believe they were honest, had a good message. If this new Arab GL has stories of similar quality, why can't they be good? If anything, creating him is following a GL tradition...

.......really dude?

You know I mentioned this to my wife the other day, who is half Arab (she doesn't claim to be Muslim at all since it's not her religion) and she liked the idea, she actually seemed interested and wanted to see what he looks like. When I first read this, I really had that eye-roll reaction that most probably had, since it feels like it has "stunt" written all over it, but after thinking about it for a few days after talking to my wife, I am glad for people who would be draw to this chartacter. I thought, what if I had a little RockThePlank, and he will be a quarter Arab, how would it be for him to be drawn to a character like that? Like he could see the TV and think "that's like me"

So yeah, there are totally Arab people in this world, why not? Don't think I will be buying it since I don't really buy much comics anymore, but I hope it does well. Just don't be a boring GL, I can't stand John Stewart.

Although the new Green Lantern looks like a stereotype, I agree. There are a lot of full or hall middle eastern people in the world. In fact, Steve Jobs is half middle eastern.

He is right there is this happening right now

Ok, and what does that have to do with comics, or for that matter, a Muslim character? Would it be a fair for me to assume these Christians were over there, forcing people to become Christian or be murdered themselves? I mean, if we are going to assume extremist represent the majority instead of the minority, then you could pretty much accuse Christians of the same types of crimes, murdering in the name of their "correct" God. I'm not trying to make this a religious topic by any means, just seems pretty ignorant to say something like that.

• Like 2

Ok, and what does that have to do with comics, or for that matter, a Muslim character? Would it be a fair for me to assume these Christians were over there, forcing people to become Christian or be murdered themselves? I mean, if we are going to assume extremist represent the majority instead of the minority, then you could pretty much accuse Christians of the same types of crimes, murdering in the name of their "correct" God. I'm not trying to make this a religious topic by any means, just seems pretty ignorant to say something like that.

It may not be this character but the muslims are doing this so that what it has to do with this :rolleyes:

It may not be this character but the muslims are doing this so that what it has to do with this :rolleyes:

I thought this was a thread to talk about this character, not what the Muslims are doing world wide, and again, it seems to be missed that it's not "the muslims" that are doing this, but infact a small, microscopic fraction of the overall Muslim faith. So I guess your answer is that is does not have anything to do with comics or this Muslim comic character. Just seems like the wording:

seems to imply that this character is doing it, simply because he is Muslim. Ignorance usually speaks for itself, just seems and sounds a little racist.

• Like 2

seems to imply that this character is doing it, simply because he is Muslim. Ignorance usually speaks for itself, just seems and sounds a little racist.

Oh geez I was wondering when this would happen...Well if they didn't do these things and kill innocents I guess people wouldn't say anything..

BUT

Since a few extremists it will ruin for all....

Oh geez I was wondering when this would happen...Well if they didn't do these things and kill innocents I guess people wouldn't say anything..

BUT

Since a few extremists it will ruin for all....

Wondered when what would happen? In a thread to discuss a newly created Muslim GL, it was implied that this character, based on little to no info other then his religion, would be honor killing people with his ring and will crucify Christians. Obviously it was a joke, an unfunny joke, but a joke none the less. It's pretty much like saying "Hey, Moonkight wants to crucify Christians and doesn't tip" or "The new Allen Scott must be a pedophile because he is gay" Like I said, just ignorant really. BTW, I am a complete Republican, so please don't assume I am some bleeding heart, I'm far from it, just thought it sounded like a dumb thing to say, so I said so.

• Like 1

People will joke about this

And it possibly would of gotten a different if the Taliban and Al Cheida didn't exist

As I said they ruined it for all Muslims

Yeah, they will joke about it for sure, and I am totally for people saying whatever they want, this is America first and foremost. I know it was a joke, a passive aggressive joke, not a good joke or really even funny either, but still a joke. I guess I find it offensive as a lover of jokes...

There will be a gap in my collection for as long as they "replace" Hal Jordan with this pandering garbage. I didn't read Batman when they replaced him with Azriel either(who happened to be a Catholic extremist to my recollection). It's like cracking open a Coke and getting Sprite inside.

Isn't there Guy Gardner,Jon Stewart or Kyle Rainer to replace Hal?

There will be a gap in my collection for as long as they "replace" Hal Jordan with this pandering garbage. I didn't read Batman when they replaced him with Azriel either(who happened to be a Catholic extremist to my recollection). It's like cracking open a Coke and getting Sprite inside.

I agree. If They replace Hal and Sinestro with this fellow, I will also stop reading the title.

The real question should be,will they keep him when they dump all of this new 52 stuff later on down the road?

Probably not. This crap is done for a fast, cheap "OOOO-AAAAHHH" then quickly swept away.

I have to agree with you there. The creation of the character feels more like shock value than making a political statement like Black Panthor and John Stewart. The again, it might just be the reaction on the boards since I had never heard about this new GL character anywhere on the web before reading this thread - Alan Scott being gay was announced all over the web well before the issue was released. In other words, the announcment of a new Middle Eastern Superhero seems to feel low key compared to Alan Scott comming out.

It may seem ignorant to you, but Christianity has no scripture condoning killing infidels at all. The crusades did happen, and they were horrible and lead by wicked political leaders who had read little if any of Jesus instructions on forgivness or loving your enemies. Mohammad on the other hand condoned lying, beating women, and yes commanded killing infidels.